Maple board help

RabsRabs Frets: 2602
edited January 2018 in Making & Modding tFB Trader

Well I knew this was obviously going to happen at some point..

In all the years ive been doing this now and kind of strangely ive never had to work on a maple fretboard and I just got one that needs some fret levelling. Obviously I know its slightly different to working on an ebony or rosewood board cos they have no finish on them.. If you happen to scuff it you can always just sand it back.. But with a board that has finish I guess you just have to be that much more extra careful?

So, any tips for me before I go and do something silly? :)

(im probably overthinking this)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Hi, @Rabs

There'll be someone around soon who will have, I'm sure, the full 'do's and don'ts'. 

The only thing I would caution is - although as you say, you have to protect very carefully the fretboard from scrapes and pressure, masking tape itself can pull the varnish off an old board.  I know this leaves you in a 'damned if you don't and damned if you do' situation - which is why it would be best to wait for someone to pass with more experience.  I've never had that happen with a new board, but I raise it just in case...

• SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    I would say get the best low tac masking tape available and double up on it, remove it by peeling it back on itself slowly. 
  • NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    I haven't done a maple board either, but the things I'd heard to be careful with are masking tape pulling the varnish off (probably not a serious issue with a modern poly finish) and sharpy/marker bleeding under the varnish if you are careless marking the tops of the frets before level/crown.

I'd be very careful using a file to tidy up fret-ends too, any pressure from the safe edge on the varnish could damage it. Should be ok if everywhere the file may run has a layer of tape protecting it.

• Vintage maple lacquered boards,,as others have said can be easily damaged by masking tape. To lessen the risk and even with low tack tape, prior to putting it on the fret board, I briefly stick the tape to my jumper/shirt, it just makes it that little less sticky.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader

Thanks all.. I really do appreciate the time you guys take too answer.. This is all what I thought but its always best too ask these things before you find out the hard way 

Its not a particularly old guitar like maybe a 10 year old tele so I reckon it will be ok.. But I will take as much caution as I can..

Cheers.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    Put the tape on your shirt before it goes on the guitar.  Instant low tack.  

Score down the edges of the board/fret to ensure any physical link is broken.  Right in the corner of the join

Heat the fret, but gently.

you can put waterthin superglue in the slot to reinforce the damaged wood and protect that delicate lacquer edge if you do get big chips of the board stick them straight back.   You can then gently sand the board if needed and run a saw through the slots with less risk of damage.

if it’s an old fender neck, learn about sideways fretting before you start.

edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Put the tape on your shirt before it goes on the guitar.  Instant low tack.  

Score down the edges of the board/fret to ensure any physical link is broken.  Right in the corner of the join

Heat the fret, but gently.

you can put waterthin superglue in the slot to reinforce the damaged wood and protect that delicate lacquer edge if you do get big chips of the board stick them straight back.   You can then gently sand the board if needed and run a saw through the slots with less risk of damage.

if it’s an old fender neck, learn about sideways fretting before you start.

Well thanks for that but Ohhh no, im not re-fretting..  but levelling... (well that's the current plan anyway)

HOWEVER, the frets on it are pretty low as it is so I need to have another good look at it to decide whats the best thing to do.. What it does have is divots in the frets on the first three or four on the high strings..  I want to try and level it but its going to leave the frets pretty short.. I reckon it will work but if it happens again he then probably will need a re-fret.

Here you can see the fret height

https://i.imgur.com/OGoeag5.jpg

And heres the divots..  nothing unusual..

https://i.imgur.com/hWgmo1f.jpg

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    Well it’s fairly easy then.  Mask the board.  Carry on.   
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Well it’s fairly easy then.  Mask the board.  Carry on.   

Yeah cheers...  I did think as much but was just being triple sure since I just haven't done a maple board before..  :)