DIY pedalboard -- where to drill power cable holes?

What's Hot
mistercharliemistercharlie Frets: 333
edited January 2018 in FX
 I'm making a more desktop-friendly pedalboard, and I'm making it with this tray. It's the same size as a pedal train Classic Junior (around 30x40cm). Any opinions on where I should put my holes?

I was thinking of two rows of 3-4 holes each. The position of each row is marked with a bit of tape. You could probably squeeze in three rows of pedals, but my power supply (SupaCharger) only has eight outputs, so I can't put too much on here anyway.

It'll also have some feet underneath to angle it and make space for the power supply.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Velcro? That way you can keep changing if you have to
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Velcro? That way you can keep changing if you have to
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I’ll use Velcro. The holes will be for the power cables. I should have made that clearer. 
  • Fixed. 
  • steersteer Frets: 1159
    When I did one, instead of lots of individual holes I made one "slot" across the middle, just above where your rat is, and another slot at the top. This gives you more flexibility. The positioning of the one at the top may depend on your PSU outputs and how / where it will be mounted underneath. 
  • Good point. I don't have a router to cut a slot though, which is why I was going for holes.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    edited January 2018
    If you turned the tray the other way up your cables, power etc could all hide underneath? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris_J said:
    If you turned the tray the other way up your cables, power etc could all hide underneath? 
    That’s an amazing idea.

I was thinking about leaving it Velcro-free, and putting rubber feet back on all the pedals though. Then, I would rely on the tray’s lips to keep stuff from falling off. But now I’m not so sure.