Is there something wrong with my nut?

powerhandpowerhand Frets: 198
edited January 2018 in Making & Modding

Please take a look at the photos below and tell me if there is something wrong with my nut?

It appears to be correctly seated when looking from either end, but seems extraordinarily high on the bass side...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    That does look a bit high on the bass side, but it's hard to be sure until you get the strings on and the first fret action set. You can always shave it down after stringing it up.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72241
    Definitely wrong. Is there a gap under it on the bass side? It's hard to be sure in the pic, it's very dark just there.

If there is then it probably just needs seating properly - you may need to take it out and clean any glue residue from the slot - although this can also happen when someone fits a flat-bottomed nut into a radiused slot!

If not and it's actually cut like that, really you need to remove it, cut the underside of it down to the correct height (or radius it if that's the problem), and re-fit it - rather than just deepen the slots.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• powerhandpowerhand Frets: 198
    edited January 2018

Offending item removed and it's definitely taller on the bass side.  Is it just a case of sanding the bottom until it's level?  Is it worth upgrading to something like a Tusq?

• WezVWezV Frets: 16645
    edited January 2018
    Being higher on the bass side is not unusual.  But that takes it a bit far.

first consideration is whether it fits the slot.  Is the bottom of the slot flat or curved?  The nut needs to match.  os there any glue stopping it going all the way in?

Once it fits neatly on the bottom you can file it down from the top.  But you need to set the action at the nut first.

its a few minute job for someone with the right tools.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72241
    Given that the nut is flat-bottomed and the guitar appears to be a Mexican Fender which should have a radiused slot, I would guess that may be the problem.

You will need to file or sand the bottom of the nut to fit the fingerboard if that is the case.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 16645
    I think you are right

@powerhand. ;  If you need a makeshift sanding block to shape the bottom to the right curve, use the neck itself.   You can wrap some sandpaper abrasive side up on the space between nut and first fret.  you have to sand across the neck, which isn't ideal, but will get you there.   It helps if you rough in the curve with a file first