How do stop yourself buying guitars/basses/amps.....

What's Hot

Comments

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    edited January 2018
    I've bought one new guitar in the last 10ish years.. there are currently two guitars I'm interested in.. one's a Tele and the other has only 10 in the UK.. 

I've set a price I'm prepared to pay for the guitar and unless it's at that price or below I will not get it. I've seen it at £5 more before and left it. 
    Same with other gear I'm after.. I have a shopping list and set prices I'm prepared to pay. 

If I start regular gigging again I've allowed myself a concession on a certain guitar, but that's a bit far off atm. 

It's all about disciplin

This is the same with most stuff I want to buy, set a budget and stick to it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the more active i am gigging, jamming with others, the less im inclined to GAS, its when things are a bit quieter, like now, i start looking at more gear. but im resisiting at the moment, i have the space, not completely skint and im down to 4 electrics, id like to get it down to three but im having difficulty deciding which one to lose. there is nothing about that i really desire at the moment. I want to get out and play more
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    Give me all your money. 

But seriously, you should examine why you’re on this incessant buying treadmill. Carol Kaye used the same gear most of her life. She says that musicians should be spending more time learning their instrument and not buying them. 

It’s a habit. Have you mastered new aspects of your instruments? Are you a better musician with your nice guitars? Do they inspire you to play better? 

I’m not going to tell you how to live your life, and I wouldn’t listen to some anonymous numpty on a forum, but in my worthless opinion unless you really and deeply examine why you are doing what you are doing, you are doomed to repeat this endless and deeply unrewarding cycle. 

Get off the treadmill. Shut up and play yer guitar(s). 

Good luck!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    Most if not all of my favourite musicians use the same or a limited number of instruments for their whole career. GAS is what collectors have, not musicians (the ones I like at least).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Jesus Saves.
    So can you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017

What do you do to try stop yourself just getting more?

Sorry, but every time I look at the sentence above, I see something like:

Gjgu by huu hg uy kju drew koiuydtg bhgb oiuujhu njhk?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017

antifash said:

But seriously, you should examine why you’re on this incessant buying treadmill.
    My life is empty and meaningless - buying gear fills the vast chasm of despair within me.

Or something.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I do it the same way most people do it - by not having enough money
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • furtherfurther Frets: 88
    The simple answer Get Married.
  • Just stop looking.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    carlos said:
    Most if not all of my favourite musicians use the same or a limited number of instruments for their whole career. GAS is what collectors have, not musicians (the ones I like at least).
    You obviously don't like Joe Bonamassa.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6636
    Watch these vids - then most of the excuses I use are debunked and I remember it’s down to skill and ability......

https://youtu.be/Na9QOkt2JrM
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11805
    Just stop looking.
    This.

Don't go into the Classified, don't look at sales, don't look at guitar sites and even listen to demos.

I stopped 99% that now.

I remember distinctly one time I was just online, went to Brian's Guitar in the US site and 15mins later I had bought a PRS that 15mins before i didn't intend to.

Another time I was on the train home, looking through Guitar Village Boss gone mad sale and while i am on the train, I bought another PRS.

I have bought many pedals due to PGS and CME demos.

I am weak, so if there is no temptation, I won't fall for it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

Procrastination. 

Every time I've wanted to buy a guitar recently, I've um-ed and ah-ed for days or weeks, watching it on eBay or a dealer website, thinking "I'll go and buy that at the weekend" or "I'll order that on Wednesday then I can take a day off on Friday for them to deliver it".

And every time someone else buys it.

• I have to pluck out one pube for every £100 the Guitar is. Helps me test if it’s worth it!  =)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Procrastination is the thief of time.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    mbe said:

Who originally said that?

Don't worry, I'll look it up tomorrow.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    mbe said:

Who originally said that?

Don't worry, I'll look it up tomorrow.

mbe  :s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not particularly helpful technically but I've been selling a lot of my cheaper guitars and buying a few really nice ones. Means that when I see a new guitar I want it's either worse than what I already have or way too expensive. I mean technically you aren't saving any money but the thought's there haha
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287
    Clarky said:
    being left handed helps curb GAS urges..
    This ^^

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to