How do stop yourself buying guitars/basses/amps.....

What's Hot

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I commenced my search for a new acoustic at the weekend, and played four or five Faith's up to £1000.

I realised that they don't actually sound £800 better than the £200 ovation I have.

Agree with the OP a £75 pedal can make a much bigger difference to my sound than a £1000 guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    edited January 2018
    GAS doesn't discriminate and you'll find it in any hobby a man does. Guitars are great though as they really are all different and relatively cheap!
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I have three main guitars, a LP, Strat and a Tele and that is honestly all I need. I seriously cannot fathom how people have 10, 15, 20+ guitars often with multiples of the same model. 

I am not adverse to GAS, far from it in fact. I trawl the classifieds, eBay and Reverb every day but it would be frivolous to buy more guitars. 

Pedals are a different matter though...but I have made a commitment to only buy pedals in kit format :) 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Why even ask the question.
    As long as the kids are fed mortgage is paid why go through life denying yourself the pleasure.Even if it’s short lived, unless I have made a complete mistake I get a few years out of guitars which say the good ones start at 3k  that’s still a lot less than people spend on fags and up the pub. If you sell them again and you get back 50% it’s still a cheap hobby when I look at what people spend on their leisure pursuits.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    Make the best sound you can get out of the instrument you have, if you can't?and you have tried everything , then buy a new instrument.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    Over extending myself on a mortgage whilst simultaneously having two kids that seem to be marginally more expensive to run than a Russian oligarchs super yacht seems to have sorted the GAS right out 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Why even ask the question.
    As long as the kids are fed mortgage is paid why go through life denying yourself the pleasure.
    It's not pleasure if you feel bad about it and feel the need to ask for advice on how to stop. But yes, it's a cheap hobby especially if you buy and sell used. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8792
    Bankruptcy 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    antifash said:

But seriously, you should examine why you’re on this incessant buying treadmill. ... unless you really and deeply examine why you are doing what you are doing, you are doomed to repeat this endless and deeply unrewarding cycle. 
    Most people never reach this level of understanding. So much of commerce tells us that we should buy more and more, that life will only be exciting if we buy a particular product. Buying stuff doesn’t bring satisfaction. 

Pedals are a different thing. Smaller and usually a lot cheaper.

Yes, they cost less individually, which means they are easier to buy. One per month, and within a year you’ve spent over £1k.

What do you do to try stop yourself just getting more?

Buy a multiFX, preferably a secondhand Helix or AX8, both of which come up on this forum. Learn how it works, and how parameter changes affect your sound. Don’t buy anything else, other than a rocker pedal for wah, for twelve months. I reckon that it takes between 6 and 12 months to understand what a multiFX can do for you. After six months you can sell most of your pedals, keeping only the few which you need for reference.

Make a partscaster, then modify it, then change it again, and learn what impact the changes have on your playing and sound. A partscaster should cost you less than £500. You’ll learn a lot more by making six than you would by buying one £3k guitar
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Daved756 said:
    I have to pluck out one pube for every £100 the Guitar is. Helps me test if it’s worth it!  =)
    I think you're buying your guitars from the wrong shop. The ones I buy never arrive in that state. I occasionally get a glossy top with finger prints on, but never pubes

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I read online reviews of some of the the gear I already own. It gives me perspective and helps me balance my GAS vs GAS inducing marketing bullshit
  • Daved756 said:
    I have to pluck out one pube for every £100 the Guitar is. Helps me test if it’s worth it!  =)
    I think you're buying your guitars from the wrong shop. The ones I buy never arrive in that state. I occasionally get a glossy top with finger prints on, but never pubes
    One of mine came covered in worse than that!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Makes me laugh when adverts claim that 'this could be the last overdrive pedal you'll ever need'
    Yeah, right.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I simply have better things to do with the money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Daved756 said:
    Daved756 said:
    Well that brings a whole new definition to "spunked everything on this.."

(Makes note not to buy from Daved....)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just keep buying them until you are skint, then you cannot buy any more :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Basically finances & adulting priorities getting in the way of having the spare funds to indulge is the main thing that slows down my rate of acquisition. There's many a time I spot something on here I'd love/can mentally justify when I don't have the cash free, I'll end up watching the relevant thread whilst trying to scrape the necessary together, half hoping someone beats me to it  and banishes such irresponsible behaviour.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited January 2018
    I just can't afford it any more which makes the decision a bit easier. Doesn't stop me gas'ing though, hence why I look at pedals more now as a more attainable gas fix! I normally apply the one in one out rule as well so my expenditure tends to be minimal. 

Luckily I quite like the idea of having just one guitar you play the shit out of which is helping too.
  • ellwood said:
    Daved756 said:
    Daved756 said:
    Well that brings a whole new definition to "spunked everything on this.."

(Makes note not to buy from Daved....)
    Don’t worry I cleaned it (with poo!)