Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New strings?

What's Hot
Been looking at the more expensive options (NYXLs, Ernie Ball paradigm etc) and wondering if they’re worth it? Anyone had any experience?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd highly recommend elixir. They play just like regular slinkies but last a lot longer before going dead and they probably work out a fair bit cheaper as you aren't buying them as often. Been using them for years and never had the urge to change
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    edited January 2018
    +1 for Elixirs. Did not realise how much I liked them until I went back to regular bronze on my acoustic. You soon get used to the feeling of a coated string and they look better/cleaner for longer too!
  • Cheers
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    NYXL and Paradigm were a huge waste of money in my experience. 
  • All of the more expensive options are a waste in my experience except Elixir.
  • Thanks - definitely going to go with Elixir’s
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I play Ernie balls 10s or 11s. Anything that “lasts longer” for triple the price means that it’s longer before I’m also cleaning the fret board to stop fret wear.... I’d rather change my strings every 4-6 weeks and maintain the frets tbh. Btw I don’t gig otherwise I’d be changing them a lot more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Total elixir convert, worth every penny
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    NYXL are no better than regular D'Addarios. Haven't tried Elixirs or Paradigm. I just bulk buy regular strings and change them frequently. Probably works out the same cost wise and I find the process of changing strings to be therapeutic (as long as my cats are out the room). Each to their own though 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Let's say elixir last 3 times as long as normal strings - do they sound as good after 2 months as normal strings do after one day?

I appreciate that even if they don't, not having to change as often could be a benefit for some people. I put locking tuners on all my guitars to make string changes easier since I don't like doing it the normal way.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    I absolutely hate Elixirs - the sound and the feel. Don't buy a bulk pack until you're sure you don't too...

The best for me are DRs, Newtones and for standard ones you can buy anywhere, plain old D'Addarios XLs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jakzekjakzek Frets: 55
    If you want long lasting strings but don’t like the feel of elixir nanowebs try the optiwebs, feel like a standard string but last way longer and still feel great, well worth the money IMO 
  • I just the Ernie Ball regulars on all my electrics. Restring every month or two and its ok. Don't see much point paying more for something I'll change just as often anyway. 3 of the guitars get gigged as well I don't see it lasting longer.
  • i use ernie balls,  i refuse to buy any strings that arnt individualy packaged in seperate envelopes. I hate it when they intertwine them altogether, i think dadarrio do this nonsense
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    i use ernie balls,  i refuse to buy any strings that arnt individualy packaged in seperate envelopes. I hate it when they intertwine them altogether, i think dadarrio do this nonsense
    They do indeed
    i use ernie balls,  i refuse to buy any strings that arnt individualy packaged in seperate envelopes. I hate it when they intertwine them altogether, i think dadarrio do this nonsense
    They do 2 strings per envelope.

Why do you prefer them separate, out of interest?
  • thegummy said:

i prefer them seperate, no chance of tangling them up or getting confused. Im a simple soul.
  • Personally I really like NYXLs.

Never liked any coated strings. Hateful things. 
    thegummy said:

i prefer them seperate, no chance of tangling them up or getting confused. Im a simple soul.
    D'addario colour code the ball ends so you can't mix them up :)
  • Another Elixir fan.  Cost more but last much longer and more importantly for me cut down frequency of string changes, a tedious chore.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”