Rush call it a day and split

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Its been assumed for months but I guess this is the semi official statement! They were the first band I properly 'got into' when I was 14-15, first concert too! 

What a career, had a few vastly different eras that were a success and one of the best live bands around. The sounds they produce from just 3 guys is remarkable. No backing tracks in sight either! 

If you haven't watched Beyond the Lighted Stage I would thoroughly recommend doing so, its tells the stories from the beginning and is full of funny and interesting little stories. The band does seem just like 3 good friends making music together, no drama, no upsets, nothing but class.

Good documentary, but what comes out of it was that Lee and Lifeson are great pals from teens onwards and are completely on the same wavelength. They clearly love each others company. Peart is a TOTALLY different sort of person, and quite frankly not easy to warm to - although I love his drumming.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    first time I heard Rush was from an older mate playing A farewell to kings and 2112, hadn't heard anything like it before and didn't listen to much else for awhile.

Loved how the three of them could play such intricate parts but somehow mesh those parts into something very musical.

I can't say I enjoyed what they did after Grace under pressure ( saw them on that tour too) as much and don't listen to them a lot these days , but they were a very big part of my teenage years.

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Same here 2112/Farewell to Kings was about as far as I got my tastes changed but they certainly made a good fist of it. 
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Lets hope the new project is all instumentals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I saw them three times, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Clockwork Angels - their three best albums.
  • They had some great albums. One of my fave bands not to have seen live
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    This discussion has prompted me to plug a couple of the gaps in my Rush collection... maybe it'll help, just a little, with the retirement plan.
    Fretwired said:
    prowla said:
    Well, it's hardly news.

Each of them can pretty much do what they like now.
    True .. but two of them have started a new band together .. now that's news .. ;-)
    Well, it's old news, and there's been no updates since the middle of last year.

I'd expect them to be doing some guesting and stuff and also likely work together if they feel like it.

Their past solo albums were mixed, so not sure exactly what to expect...
    Philly_Q said:
    This discussion has prompted me to plug a couple of the gaps in my Rush collection... maybe it'll help, just a little, with the retirement plan.
    I've got their box sets, no gaps!
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 477
    edited January 2018
    axisus said:

Good documentary, but what comes out of it was that Lee and Lifeson are great pals from teens onwards and are completely on the same wavelength. They clearly love each others company. Peart is a TOTALLY different sort of person, and quite frankly not easy to warm to - although I love his drumming.
    Yeah I tend to agree towards the end of their career, especially after Neils absence in the late 90's. i can't imagine trying to come back after that and try to pretend everything is 'normal' again. He does seem much more reclusive throughout the documentary though.

@axisus have you seen the later one, Time Stand Still?
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys will be in tears.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    edited January 2018
    prowla said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I've got their box sets, no gaps!

I've got all the individual albums, plus the box set of the remastered 1989-2007 albums.  I've long been toying with getting the "Sector" box sets with the 2011 remasters, but they're quite pricey and it's really just collecting for the sake of it.

I didn't have the 40th anniversary editions of 2112 or A Farewell to Kings, so that's what I've just ordered.