Anti GAS?

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17597
in Guitar tFB Trader
https://lifehacker.com/bad-coffee-will-make-you-a-happier-person-1822250111

I found this story quite interesting..

I've recently got rid of most of my boutique stuff and I'm just playing through a Katana.

Does it sound as good? 

nope, but am I happier?

quite possibly.

Being less hung up on gear has given me more of an appreciation of playing.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
     That's the approach I took when I decided to get married. :o

15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • https://lifehacker.com/bad-coffee-will-make-you-a-happier-person-1822250111

I found this story quite interesting..

I've recently got rid of most of my boutique stuff and I'm just playing through a Katana.

Does it sound as good? 

nope, but am I happier?

quite possibly.

Being less hung up on gear has given me more of an appreciation of playing.

I think with music gear it is a bit of a tougher distinction, because there's the additional 'class' of collector, as opposed to just player who needs equipment.

But in general the gist of the article seems to me to be a softer way of saying 'don't be a snob'.  An equally valid observation regardless.  Many of the regular giggers on this board use quite simple and not very expensive gear, @Danny1969 for example.

With instruments it is now possible to get a good guitar built pretty much anywhere these days. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Being happy with less than the best can be good because we can't always have the best.

But the idea of deliberately using something worse creating happiness seems really silly to me.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

I don't get it. What sort of person visits a friend, but refuses their coffee because it's cheap?

Seems he's taking a whole page to explain one simple proposal - "Try some cheaper and less pretentious coffee"

Your original post, on the other hand, IS around the right length and gets to the point quicker.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Oh fuck no,. What a stupid article. 

It's possible to enjoy something to the nth degree but not be a pretentious twat when other people who don't care as much offer something "cheaper".

Gear is the same. You can enjoy Squires, you can enjoy Masterbuilt guitars, but if having to play a squire means you hate playing music then you need to stop what you are doing, stick your head in a toilet and flush repeatedly until you come out a nicer person.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I'll gladly welcome any FB member round mine with a nice cup of Camp coffee essence and sterilised milk, (or Marvel if you prefer).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    You can enjoy Squires

Not if you don't want to be on the sex offenders register you can't!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier

;)

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DLM said:
    You can enjoy Squires

Not if you don't want to be on the sex offenders register you can't!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier

;)

American Justices of the peace need to watch out...!
  • so basically lower your standards for everything and youl be more easily satisfied and happier?
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250

Much to object to in that article really.  I’m guilty of some of the stuff mentioned – posh beans, grinder, pour over coffee – but there’s a reason.  I like good coffee, I enjoy it when I have it and I like trying new things.  There’s an excellent independent shop near me that sells a huge variety of teas and coffees from around the world.  Yes, it’s expensive, but no more so than if I were to have a Starbucks coffee every day.  Why would I trade down?  This is a similar type of inverted snobbery to the McDonald’s coffee advert – why try to do something really well, why not just settle for generic mediocrity from a multinational?  Settle for “That’ll do” or you risk being branded a pretentious snob.  It’s the same attitude that gave us “people in this country have had enough of experts”.

I like guitars, and I’ve got a few nice ones.  The cupboard’s not empty and the house isn’t falling down so why not?  I can go out into the carpark at work and there are plenty of Audis & BMWs with a fair proportion on expensive leases, but that’s what people choose to spend their money on.  For me, my car takes me to and from work every day as its main purpose – I’m not saying I resent it, but so long as it’s safe and reliable it’ll do.  I can spend the money I’ve saved on things like guitars that interest and excite me which brings me to my point (there is one, honest) – if you’re trading down on the things you love and enjoy what are you spending the time and money you’ve saved on?  Something you don’t love or enjoy as much?  Why on earth would you do that?

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Anti-Gas club? We can all get members rings, an official charter and we can sit in circles talking about "feelings"

Not sure i agree with using shit stuff to make you happy.. but i can see where it's going. Especially these days, a lot of lower end gear is much higher quality. 

I think people just need to live within their means, and be happy for what you've got. 
    so basically lower your standards for everything and youl be more easily satisfied and happier?
    See,I think that's what coffee guy is saying, but I think that's the wrong point.

I think it's fine and good to have high standards, or to aspire to be / have good things so long as you don't forget to enjoy what you have.. You need to be able to enjoy the same things at a lower standard, or enjoy the things you can afford. Otherwise, you are just a snob and in many cases chasing as pipe dream. That attitude is a quick way to unhappiness.

I'd love to have custom made amps and guitars, and I'm lucky to have some very nice gear. But I have massive amounts of fun using my cheaper stuff. Because gear is not the hobby, playing and creating is. 

I also appreciate a good coffee. We do the bean thing. But I also enjoy having a cup of instant when I visit my non coffee drinking sister , because the coffee is secondary to the company. 

The point should be "be content with what's available" not "never have anything nice ever again"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • The other view is that what you have is so good and so satisfying  that GAS will go away. I haven't bought a guitar or a pedal for over a year now. I only changed  my amp because the physical demands of lifting my heavy valve amp meant I had to.

My pedalboard  and switching system really is done. I have three electric guitars that  do everything I want. The sounds I want come through my pedalboard and my amp is good enough , Anti GAS from  years and years of tweaking and refining.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    lewism said:

if you’re trading down on the things you love and enjoy what are you spending the time and money you’ve saved on?  Something you don’t love or enjoy as much? 

Drugs and hookers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    Sassafras said:
    lewism said:

if you’re trading down on the things you love and enjoy what are you spending the time and money you’ve saved on?  Something you don’t love or enjoy as much? 

Drugs and hookers.
    I really don’t think you should trade down on those.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    Problem with GAS I can pretty much justify another guitar purchase using mythical guitar lingo to confuse my wife

If GAS transferred to other areas of life I can't really justify some of the impulse purchases that may occur. Looking at my ebay watch list I don't think my wife would be happy if I am walking around with a classic WWF belt around my waist. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12335
    Depends on your level as well I think.  I don't play any gigs or earn anything (no-one would ever pay) its just a hobby.  If it was my only hobby I would buy vintage guitars and amps, its not I spend a reasonable amount on bikes, running stuff, kayaking, drugs and hookers so I limit my spending.  My total gear is worth about £2,000 and I think that's too much really so I won't buy anything else until I sell something.

Would I be more happy if I had £5,000 worth of equipment or miserable if I had £1,000 worth of equipment, I highly doubt it.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    If anyone wants to downsize their accumulation of gear I'll consider taking it off their hands. For a fee, of course.

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    mbe said:
    I'll gladly welcome any FB member round mine with a nice cup of Camp coffee essence and sterilised milk, (or Marvel if you prefer).
    Yeah if Mr Douglas had grown up having to drink Camp coffee like we did and having nothing but bread and stork to eat the day before payday he might take a different line. 

When I was a kid we had no money and it wasn't a choice to buy the cheapest of everything.  Now I am affluent I buy the best coffee and the best Scotch.  Does it make me happy, you bet, and I reckon I bloody deserve it.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    What a terrible article - basically lower you expectations and you’ll be happy.