Anti GAS?

What's Hot

Comments

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    dindude said:
    What a terrible article - basically lower you expectations and you’ll be happy.
    Sure it is a terrible article, and using coffee was a terrible analogy.. bit there is so etching for lowering expectations and being happier for it...

If you expected a new Porsche every birthday you will be disappointed... Lowering expectations will make you happier :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    LuttiS said:
    dindude said:
    What a terrible article - basically lower you expectations and you’ll be happy.
    Sure it is a terrible article, and using coffee was a terrible analogy.. bit there is so etching for lowering expectations and being happier for it...

If you expected a new Porsche every birthday you will be disappointed... Lowering expectations will make you happier :)
    See I read more as:
    I can afford and justify a Porsche but I’m not going to buy one because if I have a hire car one day and it’s a Focus I won’t have the self control and awareness to realise that it is entirely fit for purpose for that situation and I will end up stropping off because it hasn’t got a heated steering wheel. :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Lowering expectations can make you happier if your expectations never get met and you're left disappointed because of it or if you're so focussed on trying to meet them that you can't enjoy what you've got.

I don't think it follows that opting for worse things than you can afford would make you happier.

I think Neill made a good point that this kind of thing seems like something for people who have never had to want for anything and perhaps romanticise going without.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    @monquixote Great post and you've hit the nail on the head.
    Enjoyment is about being satisfied and it has nothing to do with how much money one has. The writer makes a sagely point about the subjective enjoyment of All things and subsequently (if you elaborate) life itself.  
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    adamm82 said:
    Problem with GAS I can pretty much justify another guitar purchase using mythical guitar lingo to confuse my wife

If GAS transferred to other areas of life I can't really justify some of the impulse purchases that may occur. Looking at my ebay watch list I don't think my wife would be happy if I am walking around with a classic WWF belt around my waist. 
    If you win it be careful - that would cause some serious buckle-rash!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    I have one guitar and one amp. I enjoy playing all genres through the same gear every time I pick it up. 

Not only that, I have a junior with a p90. So, technically I shouldn’t be able to get that many tones. Actually, I have a single p90 guitar into single channel Marshall. Just now, I’m happy that I don’t get bogged down with choice.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I think the specific thing that struck a chord with me was that I got the Katana and played with it a bit and really enjoyed it.

Before I sold my MJW I played the two back to back and got all bent out of shape about how the MJW did way better edge of breakup type sounds than the Katana.

Now I don't have the other amp to compare it to I just play the Katana and it sounds really good to me.

Maybe I've got a taste for Guitar instant coffee now :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    He is not saying don’t have good coffee.  He is saying you will be happier if you don’t insist on the best coffee for every drink.

I regularly drink some of the best beers in the world.  It didn’t stop me enjoying 7 pints of generic mass produced ale last Friday night.  I could have turned my nose up at the limited selection that didn’t cater for my personal tastes.  Instead I got pissed and had a good night out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    I`ve decided to shed guitars this year and spend the money on lessons, the aim is to have only a couple of guitars with the mindset that buying stuff will not make me as happy as playing..........

Until the next bout of GAS that is
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    lonestar said:
    I have one guitar and one amp. I enjoy playing all genres through the same gear every time I pick it up. 

Not only that, I have a junior with a p90. So, technically I shouldn’t be able to get that many tones. Actually, I have a single p90 guitar into single channel Marshall. Just now, I’m happy that I don’t get bogged down with choice.
    I think there's definitely something to be said for deliberately limiting the number of choices you have available. I've done that before loads in music and it can be very inspiring.

One of the downsides of today's great quality amp sims is that there can be so much choice. Would love a Kemper but with almost infinite choices, it could cause choice paralysis.

It's totally different to using worse versions of the same thing though.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    If you continuously look for perfection you're in for a big disappointment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    mbe said:
    I'll gladly welcome any FB member round mine with a nice cup of Camp coffee essence and sterilised milk, (or Marvel if you prefer).
    I like Camp coffee.

Made with hot milk - delicious. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Haven’t had Camp coffee since I was a kid. Used to love it. Amazed you can still get it. Might treat myself to a bottle, for old times sake..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    usedtobe said:
    Haven’t had Camp coffee since I was a kid. Used to love it. Amazed you can still get it. Might treat myself to a bottle, for old times sake..
    Seem to remember it makes a pretty decent milkshake, or frappe as it would be called now!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    It was the only coffee I liked as a kid because it was so sweet. Like coffee syrup.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    I had a bit of a revelation about GAS late last year.

I kept looking at amps, but my Katana 50 and Code 20 do everything I need - so I was wasting my fleeting spare time...

I kept looking at new guitars, but I've got 12 of the bluddy things, none are terribly expensive so I was thinking "I could trade in 4 or 5 against one really pricey one..."

Then I realised I have never found a really pricey one I found worth the money (yet)...

Then I thought, I'd better practise and get good, then worry about gear later.

I'm still working on getting good...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4943
    What the OP is advocating is that we all dumb down our expectations. With respect, bollox to that. Most things: music, coffee, tea, food, TV etc are already at the point where they can't get any worse and continue to claim to be what they supposedly are. For example, music replay went from LP / CD (good) to downloads / MP3 (bad).

I enjoy a decent cup of coffee or tea. Life is too short to put up with the slurry you get in Starbucks.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SporkySporky Frets: 27573
    WezV said:
    He is not saying don’t have good coffee.  He is saying you will be happier if you don’t insist on the best coffee for every drink.

Exactly. It is about being satisfied, not constantly trying to optimise and never getting "there".

Fundamentally it is saying that good enough is good enough.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    tFB Trader
    Rocker said:
    What the OP is advocating is that we all dumb down our expectations. With respect, bollox to that. Most things: music, coffee, tea, food, TV etc are already at the point where they can't get any worse and continue to claim to be what they supposedly are. For example, music replay went from LP / CD (good) to downloads / MP3 (bad).

I enjoy a decent cup of coffee or tea. Life is too short to put up with the slurry you get in Starbucks.

I'm not advocating anything. 

I was posting a link I thought was interesting.
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    WezV said:

Exactly. It is about being satisfied, not constantly trying to optimise and never getting "there".

Fundamentally it is saying that good enough is good enough.

Yep, bang on.

I've found myself getting stuck in a pointless optimisation loop for marginal gains in the past and at least for me it makes me happier when I identify it and stamp it out.

On the other hand my main guitar is a DGT and I wouldn't trade down, but neither do I GAS.