Big box DMM - max delay getting shorter over time?

What's Hot
noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 789
edited January 2018 in FX
I bought mine in 2001-2 and I’m sure the max delay used to be a little over half a second. Just done a rough count against my watch and I’d say it’s pretty much exactly a third of a second now. Even a couple of years ago I’m sure it was longer (as the Bishop said etc)

Repeats are still pretty clear (for analogue) and there’s no distortion or graininess/pixelation even at max delay. Noise levels are pretty much what they always were. In short, no complaints about actual sound quality.

I’ve not had it serviced since I bought it new - is it likely that voltages/values etc have drifted and caused max available delay to decrease? I’m planning to take it along to Guitar Aid in Putney to see if a service/calibration can give it another 200ms or so.

Have to admit my curiosity is piqued for the 1100TT...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7735
    edited January 2018
    I can't think why it'd be shorter. I've gotten longer speeds from a DM-2 for example by adjusting an internal trimmer so it could perhaps be pushed up to before the point of more noise.
  • The 1100TT is pish compared to a good big box DMM. A good service will do It the world of good.

• The 1100TT is pish compared to a good big box DMM. A good service will do It the world of good.
    I’d forgotten how good it sounds - gotten used to digital simulations and smaller analog pedals. Closest I think I’ve heard is the Memory Lane Jr, though I got a reasonable approximation out of the El Capistan this evening.

I do hope they can squeeze a tiny bit longer out of the DMM without changing the sound - though I’ll love it just as much if not.
  • I've been playing around with one of the non-big box DMMs recently. Bought on a whim as I've had 14 big boxers and never a small one! It's not a terrible pedal outright but it's not a BB. The small box is quieter but the modulation is lousy by comparison. The dry sound and the effect sound just doesn't sit together as well as the big box does. 

A few years back I sent my Peal analog delay up to Martin at Owen Electronics. He recapped it, repaired the dodgy power connector, and it came back sounding better and longer than ever before. I'm sure your DMM will go the same way once it's been serviced. 

• JD50JD50 Frets: 651

Funnily enough I sent a BB DMM to Guitar Aid a few weeks ago. I bought the pedal on TFB and when it arrived it was not working.....sadly not the first time I've bought something on here that's not worked correctly.... must be the post office!

Anyway guitar Aid repaired the faults & recalibrated the pedal for £31

@heartfeltdawn recommended Martin at Owen Electronics, I have also sent some pedals to him before & recieved 1st class service.

He fixed/replaced the switches on my old DOD PDS delay when several others could not.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom