Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss answer to helix - fx 8 - headrush finally released

What's Hot

Comments

• Wow that looks shit
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I think it looks fine if it is a big step up in sound from the much out-dated GT100 platform. So long as they price it right bearing in mind it doesn't seem to have user loadable IR's, has a external power supply etc. It's not high end competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I do admire Boss for being so consistent in creating pedal demos that sound like they're from 1985.

The interest for me comes from whether they include all the good bits from the DD500, MD500, and RV500 in there. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited January 2018
    Wow that looks shit
    I htought that at first glance too, very underwhelming, mainly due to the screen,

It has bluetooth app control for on the fly editing like the H9 and functions as an audio interface, has parallel fx routing etc

This is going to depend on price point... if this is cheaper than Helix FX, they will sell a boat load.
  • Love the fact that it's much lower-profile than the others in that space. Doesn't sound terrible in that demo, which is a good start...as long as AIRD is a proper step up from COSM, they're at least on the right lines.
    <space for hire>
  • Interesting. Wonder where it will be priced
  • Wow that looks shit
    Disagree. 

Looks quite a clean and useful design to me. Nice big patch number and colour strips are pretty useful. Especially since the colour strips are above the switch, which I think is preferable to a light up switch myself, I think it’s clearer in a hurry.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow that looks shit
    I htought that at first glance too, very underwhelming, mainly due to the screen,
    Pragmatically I think the screen is great.

When you’re playing all you need to know is you’re on the right sound.
  • The pages says it has all the algorithms ported from the RV-500, MD-500 and  DD-500. That's really all you'd ever need in terms of mods, delays and reverb.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26551
    edited January 2018
    My concern - if I didn't already have the Helix LT, of course - is that it doesn't have much in the way of switching options. Looks like the footswitches are either in patch mode or stomp mode - because the buttons in the back row look like they have fixed purposes, you can't do stuff like the Helix does where you've got patches at the front and stomps at the back (or vice versa). That's going to bug a lot of people.

Also, that means a lot's going to ride on whether they've got seamless patch switching and spillover. It's OK to have that stuff missing when it's the first product in a given price range, but when there are already three or four heavily-marketed and mature products which have solved that problem, folk won't be particularly forgiving about missing features like that.
    <space for hire>
  • My concern - if I didn't already have the Helix LT, of course - is that it doesn't have much in the way of switching options. Looks like the footswitches are either in patch mode or stomp mode - because the buttons in the back row look like they have fixed purposes, you can't do stuff like the Helix does where you've got patches at the front and stomps at the back (or vice versa). That's going to bug a lot of people.

Also, that means a lot's going to ride on whether they've got seamless patch switching and spillover. It's OK to have that stuff missing when it's the first product in a given price range, but when there are already three or four heavily-marketed and mature products which have solved that problem, folk won't be particularly forgiving about missing features like that.
    Surely that could be addressed in a later patch?
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

The interest for me comes from whether they include all the good bits from the DD500, MD500, and RV500 in there. 
    "Massive selection of onboard effects, including BOSS MDP effects and algorithms directly ported from the DD-500, MD-500, and RV-500 pedals"
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    "Ultra-fast patch switching and delay/reverb carryover"
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2321
    I have a soft spot for Boss so I would personally take this over a Helix.
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My concern - if I didn't already have the Helix LT, of course - is that it doesn't have much in the way of switching options. Looks like the footswitches are either in patch mode or stomp mode - because the buttons in the back row look like they have fixed purposes, you can't do stuff like the Helix does where you've got patches at the front and stomps at the back (or vice versa). That's going to bug a lot of people.

Surely that could be addressed in a later patch?
    Which bit - the lack of switching flexibility, or the seamless switching?

Usually, seamless switching is a function of processing power and can only be partially mitigated by software.

The switching flexibility...there just aren't enough switches - with the bank switches being fixed-function, and needing to stay that way so that you don't have to start switching modes in the middle of a song, I can't see how they'd be able to manage it in an ergonomic manner.
    <space for hire>
    FatPete said:
    Unless it sounds stunning, not a chance at that price!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    FatPete said:
    Indeed - it's directly up against the Helix LT at that price, and unless you're a Boss fanboy (or a L6-hater), I can't see it even being a question.

Just noticed - the way they shaved the height is by using an external power supply. Not a fan of that approach at all.
    <space for hire>
    dindude said:
    FatPete said:
    Indeed - it's directly up against the Helix LT at that price, and unless you're a Boss fanboy (or a L6-hater), I can't see it even being a question.

Just noticed - the way they shaved the height is by using an external power supply. Not a fan of that approach at all.

Exactly, can't call it a pro piece of kit with a nasty external power supply.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom