NAD - Laney GH30R-112 combo

fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
edited January 2018 in Amps
Laney GHR30 tube combo, 30 Watts, 1x12" Celestion Vintage 30 (GH30R-112).

It's weird.  Kinda love hate.  On paper its everything i want. 
30 combo
series fxloop
di out
Vintage 30
Revrrb
Loads of gain
Nice cleans
2 channel

But in practice they've messed it right up. 

Ch1 can either be clean or gets gritty as the volume reaches max. You can only have clean loud with the master volume full but then when you switch to ch2 I'm almost blasted to death as the master is maxed. 

Finally dialled in a nice lead tone but only with the mids right down in a scooped setting to relieve some of the fuzz. 

I bonded with it much more than the mesa rectoverb but i just can't see how it's useable as a 2 channel amp. 

Great size weight layout and reverb was really nice too.

But I'm afraid it's going back.  Eager to see what marshall are offering up. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That’s a real shame, i’d hoped they’d nail a the 1x12 2204 thing with this, seemed good on paper like you say!!
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    That’s disappointing! I was considering one of these but I guess from the lack of chatter about it that it wasn’t very popular. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    rico said:
    That’s disappointing! I was considering one of these but I guess from the lack of chatter about it that it wasn’t very popular. 
    They’ve only just hit the shops! 

I tried one, I liked it. I’m a GH fan though, it does that sound in a compact package 
  • If it sounds like a GH50 then this is a great sounding amp

The GH50 is sort of a Marshall jcm800 with more gain and more low mids, and a bit "muddied" (sounds bad, but it's a great sounding amp for heavy rock). That in a 30 watt combo would be lovely. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited January 2018
    If it sounds like a GH50 then this is a great sounding amp

The GH50 is sort of a Marshall jcm800 with more gain and more low mids, and a bit "muddied" (sounds bad, but it's a great sounding amp for heavy rock). That in a 30 watt combo would be lovely. 
    Sort of but not really imo. It sounds a bit like it but it's too dry sounding and doesn't have the marshall snarl/roar/kerrang or whatever you like to call it. I had one for 10 years and always felt it was missing that. Got a Marshall and haven't looked back. It took pedals better than my amp though, a fuzz into the GH overdriven was a pretty tasty stoner rock tone. 
  • TTBZ said:
    If it sounds like a GH50 then this is a great sounding amp

Sort of but not really imo. It sounds a bit like it but it's too dry sounding and doesn't have the marshall snarl/roar/kerrang or whatever you like to call it. I had one for 10 years and always felt it was missing that. Got a Marshall and haven't looked back. It took pedals better than my amp though, a fuzz into the GH overdriven was a pretty tasty stoner rock tone. 

Yes, that's a better description - not muddied, but not so "roary". 

Still a great sounding amp, mind.