The new Rickenbacker basses.

What's Hot
prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
So, folks - Rickenbacker have listened to the public and have new 5-string basses...

Take a swig of something strong before you look at them!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Got a link? the ones I’m seeing just look like regular Rickenbacker basses with 5 strings!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    AlexC said:
    Got a link? the ones I’m seeing just look like regular Rickenbacker basses with 5 strings!
    +1

The Cheyenne only with a bubinga fingerboard rather than rosewood and the pickup covers are all black with no metal casing.

Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27581
    The red one looks best.

Need to see them in blue burst.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    The black one looks best, partly because you can't see the bridge pickup as easily, and partly because black :).

They would all look better with the pickups angled the other way with the bridge-side edge at right angles to the strings, and the Rick triangle fingerboard inlays.

And one less string.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't think the Hall family will have to consult their lawyers for MIC replicas for these new instruments.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    ICBM said:
    one less string.
    I realise that this comment was made (partly) in jest but it raises a void point.

One of the sounds for which Ric 4000 family bass guitars are best known is kinda clanky and not exactly over-endowed in really low frequency content. Taking this sound another four semitones lower seems somewhat pointless. 

A more interesting development, perhaps, would be along the lines of Cliff Burton's modified example.
    Be seeing you.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    At least they’ve got a sensible looking bridge. I can’t find much else positive to say.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    ICBM said:
    one less string.
    I realise that this comment was made (partly) in jest but it raises a void point.

One of the sounds for which Ric 4000 family bass guitars are best known is kinda clanky and not exactly over-endowed in really low frequency content. Taking this sound another four semitones lower seems somewhat pointless.
    Partly true, at least for the bridge pickup, but you may be surprised how deep and bassy-sounding the neck pickup is. I would actually think that the issue for a 5-string might be that it isn’t clear enough, rather than not deep enough.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    These are prototypes, I think, so we'll see what makes it out into the world.

My opinion is that they are pretty cool and I have to say that Ric were a bit radical in making those pickups.

I'm also a 5-string fan.

On the minus side, the neck is thicker, I don't think the pickguard suits, the bridge is a cop-out, and they shouldn't be 4003 models.

I'd like to try one.
  • Think they're going to suffer from a touch of fish/fowl syndrome on these. Not close enough to the traditional styling for the old-school players and not modern enough for everyone else. I'd have lost the pickguard and gone for something more like the Cheyenne. Bet they're still going to sell every one they make though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Weird. Perhap the models with shark fin fret markers are going to have round pickups.
    borntohang said:
    they're still going to sell every one they make though!
    UK dealer order waiting list is already well over twelve months. 
    Be seeing you.
  • prowla said:
    The fact that they look a completely different shape in the reflection in the mirror behind makes them pretty cool ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    edited January 2018
    I like em, but then again I'm not a typical Rickenbacker customer.
  • I have a 4003 thats about 12 years old now and I love Ric basses.  These however, i'm not a fan of.  Firstly I do like the dot inlays and the lack of binding - its what I imagine McCartney's looked like mid sanding...beyond that i'm not a fan of the pickup shape, the bridge is just wrong and the pickguard seems very odd around the lower horn in particular.  I commend them for doing something more contemporary but hopefully they refine them a bit more for production cause they look a bit bolted together from spare parts at the moment.
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 178
    edited January 2018
    I like the look of them.  I started playing bass on an Ibanez Ric copy, so I know I like the style and body proportions, and there are a few Ric players whose sounds I love.  But I like to palm mute, often rest my thumb and prefer 5 strings, so one of these might tick those boxes.  I won't be able to afford one though! 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    edited January 2018
    5 strings look wrong on that design. Would probably work better on the newer Cheyenne model. And that bridge makes them look like cheap Chinese knockoffs.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    There is a Sound Affects demo online of them. Whilst I am spoilt by the monster clear and defined tight B string of Musicman, the Ric 5 sounds like a Ric 5 should in the video (once the amp is sorted).