Active monitor recommendations please?

impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
We've just massively upgraded our FOH system (EV) and what is now obvious is our monitors are lagging behind by a country mile, plus we want to mike up everything to bring onstage amp volumes down... hence the need for good monitors. Currently we have Wharfedale things...

The criteria is that they mustn't be hideously expensive, but robust (our gigs can get rowdy), small, loud and light. They also need to be good at throwing sound on a small stage - most of the stages we play on are quite compact and we find the only way to get a decent sound from the Wharfedales is to put them a long way away... which isn't always possible.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge that they'd care to share?

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    impmann said:
    ...we find the only way to get a decent sound from the Wharfedales is to put them a long way away... which isn't always possible.
    This suggests it could simply be a case of angling them further upwards...? Try it by just shoving rolled-up jackets underneath the edge closest to you and see how it sounds.
    <space for hire>
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    That isn't the only issue with the Wharfedales... feedback and lacking clarity are the big issues, really. Plus we could do with a bit more useable volume (before feedback) - we have a full-time sound man and he's at the end of his patience with them! :-)

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    impmann said:
    That isn't the only issue with the Wharfedales... feedback and lacking clarity are the big issues, really. Plus we could do with a bit more useable volume (before feedback) - we have a full-time sound man and he's at the end of his patience with them! :-)
    Ah, fair enough. The sound guy for my last band was convinced that 15" active monitors are the way to go, preferably with power handling of 400W+ (you won't use it, but the extra headroom helps clarity). Personally, I think that 15" is overkill, but I only ever use monitors for cues rather than pitch so it doesn't matter as much to me as it would to a vocalist.
    <space for hire>
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    I will toss a few ponderables into the mix.

Are you using the right mics for small stages and close monitors, and is mic/monitor placement optimised. You ought have at least Hypercardoid pattern mics for small stages and low ceilings.
    Size isn't important, the Radian Microwedge is a small box with a 12" cone that is quite capable of tearing your face off (just after it empties your bank account). They are now made by EAW and are tasty. They require external amps too.
    For the sort of money you might outlay, have you thought about going IEM? A briefcase solution will get you superior consistent sound and save your back and cut down on setup/strike down time.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I tried the Kustom wedge from Thomann. Powered, 100W into 12", daisy chainable. IMO decent quality, good price £120 iirc)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396

As ESBlonde says, IEM's are a better bet really, you will hear yourself better, they won't screw up the FOH sound (like wedges do at small gigs) and are cheaper than professional monitors. The only guy in my band not on IEM's uses 2 x HK Dart wedges which are pretty good but pricey at £600 ish  .... that's the kind of price pro wedges are ...  but still not as good a solution as IEM's. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for the input. 

Mics - currently nothing is mic'd up... apart from vocals and the drums. But all of those are pukka Shure 58s etc. 

I'm not sure about IEMs - we're a fairly energetic punk and new wave band... I'm not sure how that will work in that context. Plus looking at the costs involved, its expensive if you buy good quality ones... and I'm more than nervous about buying cheap end wireless gear.. I guess I'm just nervous of suggesting this to the band as it is so far outside our normal curve. Plus we are a five piece... with occasional Sax... its complicated!!!

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3116
    edited March 2014
    Energetic punk band says a lot so it is possible your not listening to the monitors as opposed to them not being loud or efficient enough. I would try them as side fills ie on a tripod pointing across the stage properly rung out with a decent graphic
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    I used a Karsect in-ear monitor system onstage, they are fairly cheap (assuming you can find them). Changed the actual ear pieces for some M-Audio IE20-XB's though, which were around £140 new. Might be worth seeing what you can get hold of 2nd hand too. Mine are much better than the lower end Shure stuff, and batteries last several gigs. Wouldn't like to go back to monitors now. I play in a chili's tribute, so we are quite energetic.

Can you borrow a set from someone to try out? You'll soon know if they are for you.
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
  • GuitarnutGuitarnut Frets: 31
    Another shout for HK stuff. I've used HK FAST monitors for quite a while now. They work well on small and large stages. I've also found Shure Beta 58s give me more volume before feedback over a regular sm58. They aren't the cheapest monitors but if you've got EV stuff up front and want something as good. I think you can pick them up for £500 new.
  • RCF 310a Sound great, loads of power, small but good enough to double as reheasal PA or use for smaller gigs anyway.
    That's all I use for front of house on all my videos on YT