Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Chapman Guitars at NAMM

What's Hot
themeinsidethemeinside Frets: 218
edited January 2018 in Guitar
A big 'chappening' was promised at 8pm tonight- turns out it is a range of UK made versions of their models for around £3.5-4k. I don't think even Fender or Gibson can truly justify guitars of this price, but the fact Chapman think they can is somewhat mind boggling. When there are amazing artisan makers- including many fellows on this forum- who would make you anything you like for less.

Delusions of grandeur and a distinct lack of market awareness methinks, made worse by building up to it on their social media presence as if it was going to be an interesting announcement for the masses. Utterly out of touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1PXFt8jooA
12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27460
    Wonder who's making them?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    TTony said:
    Wonder who'll buy them?
    FTFY :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Ill be genuinely surprised if they sell....one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    Doesn't Jaden Rose make his prototypes? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Also, what's up with the upper part of the handmade ML2- it's got an extra 'bit' at the neck joint?

Compared to:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    Putting the ''Git'' in Guitars
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Went to andertons today to spend bassmonkeys money on a new mark bass rig...

tried a a couple of the chapman guitars whilst bass monkey was trying to work out how to plug his cable in.

Really was less than impressed... poor finishes and bad fretwork... there are better guitars out there for the money... I think they are believing their own hype tbh!.
  • DiscoStu said:
    He certainly did at the start- I don't know about the more recent guitars though. Apparently these are being made by a 'small team of UK luthiers'- if any of them are on here, i'd be fascinated to hear their side!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    This self-styled premium version concept does seem contrary to the original "affordable workhorse" ethos of Chapman Guitars. 

Obviously, it takes very little effort to fill out a fantasy guitar features wish list. It is another matter to actually stump up the money.

In my opinion, anyone with sufficient knowledge to understand the significance of the wood, fret wire and pickup choices in the red Chapman British Standard T-style electric guitar, is probably capable of assembling one from parts and fettling it him or herself.

Meanwhile, what is the common abbreviation for British Standard?  ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Jeees! I also think the recent prices on the pro range are insane. £1300 ish for a bass?!! 
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Here’s something I don’t get - most pro guitarists don’t play instruments that cost that much. They tend to use one or a handful of machines they picked up along the way for ‘normal’ money and then mod them themselves. So this kind of market - who the hell is it aimed at?
  • DiscoStu said:
    He did make the proto ML-2s (there were several), and he originally made the Ghost Fret models before they became part of the production range, but there were only a couple of them sold because Rob's fans were usually spotty 16yr olds and a paper round takes a while to add up to the list price (about £2k at the time).

However, I can pretty much guarantee he's not making these. There's a story there, but it's not mine to tell... ;)

There's a fairly short list of people who could be making these at a £3.5-4k price bracket, but I honestly can't imagine any of them actually doing it.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    edited January 2018
    Also, what's up with the upper part of the handmade ML2- it's got an extra 'bit' at the neck joint?

Compared to:

It’s a through neck so that contour will help blend body to neck.  It could be done without quite easily too, but I reckon that’s what lead to it’s inclusion

i have to say I really like the carve on the red tele.  I normally hate carved top teles as they can really lack grace
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    Fucking Hell............ I need to put my prices up
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Good luck with that 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    A 3.5k guitar needs provenance. Not good enough to simply say made in UK, who cares if you don’t know who, or what workshop, it came from. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    A 3.5k guitar needs provenance. Not good enough to simply say made in UK, who cares if you don’t know who, or what workshop, it came from. 
    Chapman.

It says so on the headstock
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited January 2018
    Wait until you see the next Chapman range - the "British custom classic heritage collector artistan vintage premium historic relic reissue"!
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wait until you see the next Chapman range - the "British custom classic heritage collector artistan vintage premium historic relic reissue". They wont be cheap.
    R18’s are going to be sweet
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    They look good. Not sure they are value for money but they appear very impressive.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom