Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Chapman Guitars at NAMM

What's Hot

Comments

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1259
    TTony said:
    Wonder who's making them?
    Whoever it is I’ll bet they’re NDA’d up to the eyeballs...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    £1k guitar + £3k for the monkey lord's signature
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    Are they all finished in snake oil?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    Are they still sold with shit Pickups and the expectation you will upgrade anyway
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Realistically, this announcement amounts to a handful of trade show demonstration instruments and the opportunity to place orders.

Publicity is sure to be generated. Aspirations may be generated. The overwhelming majority of purchases will be of the Asian-made ranges. This is the same sales model by which a shop in my town used to have one Gibson behind the counter for months on end whilst selling Epiphone lookalikes by the dozen.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    "These are going to be made in very small runs... so if you get one, congratulations"

and that was the moment I vomited
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Chappers says “as few as 15 a month” made. I reckon he may need to lower that a tad.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    dindude said:
    Chappers says “as few as 15 a month” made. I reckon he may need to lower that a tad.
    If they make 15 in a month, how many months will it take to sell all 15?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    The price is not that surprising.

Most of the luthiers on here seem to indicate that it's hard to make a living on a handmade premium guitars if they cost much less that a couple of grand. Add on a chunk for Chapman and for Andertons (assuming they aren't being sold direct).

I'm assuming it will be a bit like Fret King where you could theoretically get high end UK models, but very few were made and they were more of a halo product.

Given his fan base I would have thought they would struggle to sell them as the market for high end, hand made British stuff is very stacked to to the grey ponytail market.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26575
    edited January 2018
    TTony said:
    dindude said:
    It's OK, those 3 or 4 luthiers will still have plenty of work to do in QA on the factory-made Chapman Guitars (and subsequently fixing them).
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    edited January 2018
    If you want one just wait until Andertons is forced to blow them out for a grand apiece. “Andertons Big Deal” will mean two things!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    TTony said:
    dindude said:
    It's OK, those 3 or 4 luthiers will still have plenty of work to do in QA on the factory-made Chapman Guitars (and subsequently fixing them).

Remember the "one piece mahogany" days? Haha
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    It would be really nice if a uk brand could get those prices and survive.  I would happily work for them if they could
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    WezV said:
    It would be really nice if a uk brand could get those prices and survive.  I would happily work for them if they could
    Not really a “brand” but a luthier - Rob Williams charges near that and deserves it. 

https://robwilliamsguitars.co.uk/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJ said:
    TTony said:
    dindude said:

I remember trying the B-stock ML-1s at Monkey Fest. They were B-stock purely because they weighed too much...I'm not kidding when I say that one of them was a similar weight to my amp. Unfortunately for them, Jaden's guitars were about 5 yards away for comparison...I'd say there was rather more wrong with those CGs than just the weight ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    RMJ said:
    TTony said:
    dindude said:

I remember trying the B-stock ML-1s at Monkey Fest. They were B-stock purely because they weighed too much...I'm not kidding when I say that one of them was a similar weight to my amp. Unfortunately for them, Jaden's guitars were about 5 yards away for comparison...I'd say there was rather more wrong with those CGs than just the weight ;)
    Haha
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    DiscoStu said:
    Are they all finished in snake oil?
    Butter, for the proverbial ease of playing
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    I’ve just watched some of the promo vids. I get that they have a crowd who like their guitars and the bands associated with them, but I honestly don’t know one guitarist or bassist who is interested in the products they have. That niche of certain type of metal must be huge!
  • TTony said:
    Wonder who's making them?
    MD Philips 
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    really think the business model is all wrong for Chapman. It really seems like a whole load of gold-plated bull. 
    Yes, the original idea of a basic range of guitars that were based on the wisdom of crowds seemed very apt at the time with elected features. Now with all the price points and signature models with their names on them it has become one big ego trip.

Again with only a single dealer in the UK despite being a big online seller they are going to run out of money and steam. If you think of the market penetration Fender/Squire or PRS SE or ESP  has, Chapman, is never going to survive with that level of SKU's and a single outlet. 

I will look with a little interest when they publish the first-year accounts in the new format. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom