2018 Running Thread

What's Hot
1567810

Comments

  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 204
    marcus449 said:
    new to this thread but not new to running. cool to see fellow fretboarders into running as much as i am. 

    averaging about 22-25miles a week; have done multiple half marathons and hoping to do my first marathon event early next year. any training tips for getting past the 13.2mile distance?

    feel free to add me on strava: Marcus Rexford
    Excellent. Few tips that may help:-

    1. get a plan and stick to it. Most plans will structure the runs and spread the load over many weeks including "down" weeks. Don't take bits from multiple plans. Load from long training runs is cumulative hence the down weeks every so often.

    2. If you have a local group or club it can be useful to join with others also training for a marathon. The runs can be long and having people waiting for you and company on the run will help massively. This is especially true if a spring marathon where all the training is in horrid weather.

    3. Read up on fueling your run and hydration/electrolytes. Try out on your long runs and adjust until you get it right. What works for one doesn't always work for someone else.

    4. Make sure you have properly fitted trainers that suit your GAIT. Most running shops will test this for you either for a small charge or as part of buying a pair of trainers. If you need trainers then buy 2 pairs the same once you have had them fitted and done some test runs. This helps guard against wear on trainers causing repetitive use injuries and sods law says that the trainers you have used in your training runs will fall apart a few days before the race.

    5. Slightly slow down your first couple of miles. Think of it as an extended warm up. How your body determines ratios of carbs/fats is in the first few miles of the race. Preserving carbs is a key element (and hence fueling).

    6. Stick to recovery/down weeks in your plan. They are there to allow you to recover from long runs and rebuild stronger/fitter.

    7. A full marathon isn't the same as 2 x half marathons. In distance it is but in terms of effort it is closer to 3-4 times. It is often quoted that the marathon is 2 parts. The first 20 and the last 6.2. The last 6.2 will feel as hard if not harder than the first 20.

    8. If you can get to 18-20 miles in training you'll be reasonably ok on the day. Don't go above 22 miles since the risk of injury increases massively and doesn't actually make you any fitter. Running longer than 22 generally takes a disproportionate amount of recovery time unless you are used it it.

    9. Taper is vital and has a massive impact. Stick to it as per the plan.

    10. Have fun, enjoy the training and the challenge. You will have good and bad runs. The bad runs teach you alot about your body. Remain positive in the race and stick to what you've trained for.

    Hope this helps and feel free to ask away if you need any more help but sure the above gives you plenty to get on with. Post up training on here as you go. Good motivation :-)





    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 1535
    I trained for a 20-miler which was cancelled. Mid-week running stayed the same - 3 or four steady runs of 7-8 miles. Then on a Saturday morning I did a longer and longer run. I found the distance to be a definite step up, I didn't need water or gels for 13-14 miles but found I did when running just a few miles more.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • marcus449marcus449 Frets: 136
    mcsdan said:
    marcus449 said:
    new to this thread but not new to running. cool to see fellow fretboarders into running as much as i am. 

    averaging about 22-25miles a week; have done multiple half marathons and hoping to do my first marathon event early next year. any training tips for getting past the 13.2mile distance?

    feel free to add me on strava: Marcus Rexford
    Excellent. Few tips that may help:-

    1. get a plan and stick to it. Most plans will structure the runs and spread the load over many weeks including "down" weeks. Don't take bits from multiple plans. Load from long training runs is cumulative hence the down weeks every so often.

    2. If you have a local group or club it can be useful to join with others also training for a marathon. The runs can be long and having people waiting for you and company on the run will help massively. This is especially true if a spring marathon where all the training is in horrid weather.

    3. Read up on fueling your run and hydration/electrolytes. Try out on your long runs and adjust until you get it right. What works for one doesn't always work for someone else.

    4. Make sure you have properly fitted trainers that suit your GAIT. Most running shops will test this for you either for a small charge or as part of buying a pair of trainers. If you need trainers then buy 2 pairs the same once you have had them fitted and done some test runs. This helps guard against wear on trainers causing repetitive use injuries and sods law says that the trainers you have used in your training runs will fall apart a few days before the race.

    5. Slightly slow down your first couple of miles. Think of it as an extended warm up. How your body determines ratios of carbs/fats is in the first few miles of the race. Preserving carbs is a key element (and hence fueling).

    6. Stick to recovery/down weeks in your plan. They are there to allow you to recover from long runs and rebuild stronger/fitter.

    7. A full marathon isn't the same as 2 x half marathons. In distance it is but in terms of effort it is closer to 3-4 times. It is often quoted that the marathon is 2 parts. The first 20 and the last 6.2. The last 6.2 will feel as hard if not harder than the first 20.

    8. If you can get to 18-20 miles in training you'll be reasonably ok on the day. Don't go above 22 miles since the risk of injury increases massively and doesn't actually make you any fitter. Running longer than 22 generally takes a disproportionate amount of recovery time unless you are used it it.

    9. Taper is vital and has a massive impact. Stick to it as per the plan.

    10. Have fun, enjoy the training and the challenge. You will have good and bad runs. The bad runs teach you alot about your body. Remain positive in the race and stick to what you've trained for.

    Hope this helps and feel free to ask away if you need any more help but sure the above gives you plenty to get on with. Post up training on here as you go. Good motivation :-)




    thank you so much for all this information. i've copied and pasted and will look at all the points in greater detail, i really do appreciate it and will keep this thread updated! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 179
    As a returnee to running after a 20yr gap, and a summer of calf injuries, finally got my first parkrun tomorrow morning.
    Looking forward to it and hoping to finish in about half an hour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 862
    mcsdan said:
    marcus449 said:
    new to this thread but not new to running. cool to see fellow fretboarders into running as much as i am. 

    averaging about 22-25miles a week; have done multiple half marathons and hoping to do my first marathon event early next year. any training tips for getting past the 13.2mile distance?

    feel free to add me on strava: Marcus Rexford
    Excellent. Few tips that may help:-

    1. get a plan and stick to it. Most plans will structure the runs and spread the load over many weeks including "down" weeks. Don't take bits from multiple plans. Load from long training runs is cumulative hence the down weeks every so often.

    2. If you have a local group or club it can be useful to join with others also training for a marathon. The runs can be long and having people waiting for you and company on the run will help massively. This is especially true if a spring marathon where all the training is in horrid weather.

    3. Read up on fueling your run and hydration/electrolytes. Try out on your long runs and adjust until you get it right. What works for one doesn't always work for someone else.

    4. Make sure you have properly fitted trainers that suit your GAIT. Most running shops will test this for you either for a small charge or as part of buying a pair of trainers. If you need trainers then buy 2 pairs the same once you have had them fitted and done some test runs. This helps guard against wear on trainers causing repetitive use injuries and sods law says that the trainers you have used in your training runs will fall apart a few days before the race.

    5. Slightly slow down your first couple of miles. Think of it as an extended warm up. How your body determines ratios of carbs/fats is in the first few miles of the race. Preserving carbs is a key element (and hence fueling).

    6. Stick to recovery/down weeks in your plan. They are there to allow you to recover from long runs and rebuild stronger/fitter.

    7. A full marathon isn't the same as 2 x half marathons. In distance it is but in terms of effort it is closer to 3-4 times. It is often quoted that the marathon is 2 parts. The first 20 and the last 6.2. The last 6.2 will feel as hard if not harder than the first 20.

    8. If you can get to 18-20 miles in training you'll be reasonably ok on the day. Don't go above 22 miles since the risk of injury increases massively and doesn't actually make you any fitter. Running longer than 22 generally takes a disproportionate amount of recovery time unless you are used it it.

    9. Taper is vital and has a massive impact. Stick to it as per the plan.

    10. Have fun, enjoy the training and the challenge. You will have good and bad runs. The bad runs teach you alot about your body. Remain positive in the race and stick to what you've trained for.

    Hope this helps and feel free to ask away if you need any more help but sure the above gives you plenty to get on with. Post up training on here as you go. Good motivation :-)




    Point 7 is particularly concerning. I have run a half and a half as part of a half Ironman.

    ive never ran a marathon and have to do so as part of the Ironman in Copenhagen next year. Not looking forward to that then! Haha! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • I went back to running a few weeks ago, after a "rest" of about 10 years.

    Just came back from my first Parkrun, and am pleased to report not only did I survive, but really enjoyed it too :)
    Trading feedback  |   FS: nothing just now  |   WTB: Bypass looper
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 179
    Just finished my first Parkrun today and finished very happy.
    Cake at finish was great!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • shugzshugz Frets: 524
    Attempting the Great Scottish Run Half Marathon tomorrow. Not massively looking forward to it as my training has been shot to pieces by work (I travel a lot). Even after the run tomorrow I'm travelling...9hrs in a van, ace.

    On 1200km for the year so far and last short run (5k) on Thursday. Hopefully it'll go ok.

    Best of luck to anyone else giving this or any other event a go tomorrow.

    Cheers
    Hugh

    www.proudhoney.com

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 862
    shugz said:
    Attempting the Great Scottish Run Half Marathon tomorrow. Not massively looking forward to it as my training has been shot to pieces by work (I travel a lot). Even after the run tomorrow I'm travelling...9hrs in a van, ace.

    On 1200km for the year so far and last short run (5k) on Thursday. Hopefully it'll go ok.

    Best of luck to anyone else giving this or any other event a go tomorrow.

    Cheers
    Hugh
    if you've done 1200km this year, I'm sure you did find at the Great Scottish Half! How did you get on? 

    I'm still trying to get out 3 times a week but been hampered by achy legs and a sick 10 month old. 

    Still got to average an (achievable) 20 miles a week until the end of the year, to hit 500 miles for 2018, which I'd be over the moon with (Jan-March was a total write off)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • shugzshugz Frets: 524
    Had a shocker (cue excuses)....

    Never had much in the way of aches and pains running before. Until that one. About 10-12km in got excruciating back pain lower down and that was that. Limped over in a 2:44 time. Dint get me wrong, it was never going to be fast or pretty but thought maybe 2:10 or 2:20 half realistic. Ran 6.5km yesterday and still in trouble so might have to see doctors or someone in the know for advice.

    To cap it off, I had to get in a van and drive to Southampton straight after the run....!

    You'll be sorry you asked, best of luck with your endeavours. Don't worry too much getting out all the time, real life really does get in the way I more than know that.

    I'm trying for 1500km for the year but I'm now not sure if I'll make it. Next year I'd planned to try and get quicker (possibly doing fewer miles but more geared to working on quicker times). 

    Cheers
    Hugh

    www.proudhoney.com

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 862
    shugz said:
    Had a shocker (cue excuses)....

    Never had much in the way of aches and pains running before. Until that one. About 10-12km in got excruciating back pain lower down and that was that. Limped over in a 2:44 time. Dint get me wrong, it was never going to be fast or pretty but thought maybe 2:10 or 2:20 half realistic. Ran 6.5km yesterday and still in trouble so might have to see doctors or someone in the know for advice.

    To cap it off, I had to get in a van and drive to Southampton straight after the run....!

    You'll be sorry you asked, best of luck with your endeavours. Don't worry too much getting out all the time, real life really does get in the way I more than know that.

    I'm trying for 1500km for the year but I'm now not sure if I'll make it. Next year I'd planned to try and get quicker (possibly doing fewer miles but more geared to working on quicker times). 

    Cheers
    Hugh
    This is the main thing that's concerning me about my Ironman training plan (which officially starts in Jan)...I need to juggle home life too. Hopefully it will all come good. 

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • shugzshugz Frets: 524
    I'm not being funny but what is Ironman training? Triathalons or something like that? Good luck there. If you can establish a training plan/ pattern then I think you'll be fine. Real world will no doubt sometimes catch up but I hope it goes well. 

    I've decided to go the other way and not take any more on either more runs or anything formal. The race was such a downer for me in doing so badly I think it's going to take a while to get confidence back. 

    Might try a 5k tomorrow and see how it goes,
    H

    www.proudhoney.com

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 862
    shugz said:
    I'm not being funny but what is Ironman training? Triathalons or something like that? Good luck there. If you can establish a training plan/ pattern then I think you'll be fine. Real world will no doubt sometimes catch up but I hope it goes well. 

    I've decided to go the other way and not take any more on either more runs or anything formal. The race was such a downer for me in doing so badly I think it's going to take a while to get confidence back. 

    Might try a 5k tomorrow and see how it goes,
    H
    In short, yes. I'm signed up to compete at Ironman Copenhagen next august. Which is a 2.4 mile open water swim, 112 mile bike and finishing with a full marathon. All within a 15 hour and 45 min cut off. 

    So I have a 36 week training plan to contend with starting in January! In the mean time I'm just keeping up with my running as much as possible, to keep my fitness levels up. 

    Having a bad race is always a horrible feeling, but take a step back and start over, sometimes that helps with building confidence back up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • shugzshugz Frets: 524
    Fabulous effort, even just for giving it a go. I'd need to factor in learning how to swim first..... :)

    I'm sure you'll do fine, what an effort. 

    Thanks 're my situation, I've never ever thought of myself a runner but had enjoyed the challenge at least giving it a go. It was a bit of a shock how sore I got. I must add, I have run 15k, 20k etc distances and tried to give the half the respect it was due. I wasn't thinking it'd be easy. Just a bit gutted it didn't go to plan. Good gigs bad gigs I suppose!

    Give it hell for the Ironman, you'll smash it I'm sure.

    H

    www.proudhoney.com

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 204
    Off to do my final 100 miler of the year. Not been a great build up since I had knee issues that took me out of the last one in August. Worked through that issue and appears sorted. Then came down with lurgy/flu 2 weeks ago. Rested up and a couple of short runs this week to test out. 

    Going to be a toughie but I feel recovered and ready to go. Fingers crossed. 

    Will be 100 miler #8 

    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 6296
    edited October 12
    I haven't ran for ages, about 3 years, did two 5k's on consecutive nights this week Weds and Thurs, also a 10 miler on the bike yesterday in the hills, Now I feel like my legs have been run over by a truck. Snapped my ACL 15 yrs ago, it haunts me with a little twinge now and again on a run, so going to take it slow.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • shugzshugz Frets: 524
    Best of luck @mcsdan massive respect to you for doing that. I know a guy local to me that does similar runs and I see some of his exploits he posts up from time to time. Hard-core (meant with nothing but respect).

    I've run 5k a day all week trying to sort myself out and I'm not quite there. Crossroads time; either comitt and do it right and maybe build back into longer runs or just dodder about on 5's so 17/18 stone days stay away.

    Time will tell :)

    Best to anyone getting a run on the go this weekend.

    www.proudhoney.com

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 862
    4 runs, 20 miles this week. Still (just) on track for my yearly goal of 500 miles. 

    This week will hopefully get a fitness test done to work out my max HR so I can calculate my zones for my IM training plan. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 1535
    edited October 15
    Getting up in the mornings is getting harder. I give myself a massive pat on the back, but I really didn't want to be out there this morning. Still, got 6.5 miles in.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 862
    Getting up in the mornings is getting harder. I give myself a massive pat on the back, but I really didn't want to be out there this morning. Still, got 6.5 miles in.
    you're not bloody wrong. Especially in the rain...I didn't get out this morning as I ran last night, but hoping to get out tonight. Not going to be able to do field laps for much longer as it'll become boggy as hell in the next few days/weeks. Not an issue for me, but means that the dog doesn't get as much freedom whilst I'm running :( 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 1535
    I find my alarm wakes me up, violently, and it's been that way for a couple of weeks, whereas usually I'd be up before it goes off. I am sleeping loads, so could have something niggling like a virus or "western valley flu" as the doctor used to call it - catarrh basically.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 862
    I find my alarm wakes me up, violently, and it's been that way for a couple of weeks, whereas usually I'd be up before it goes off. I am sleeping loads, so could have something niggling like a virus or "western valley flu" as the doctor used to call it - catarrh basically.
    I *have* to get up and out Mon, Wed and Friday to walk the dog in the mornings, so that's a good excuse, but finding the motivation to run with her rather than wrap up in waterproofs and walk, is difficult for sure.

    I'm also in a state of perma-tired due to training and managing a 10 month old! haha. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 204
    Final 100 mile run of the year done.  That’s 8 100 miles in 2 years. I’m a bit tired tbh.  Spent the last 10 hours of the race in torrential rain. Gladly had decent waterproofs so manage to stay dry and warm although everywhere was soaked and flooded especially next to the Thames. Time for a rest now.  



    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 204
    If you have a watch that does heart rate it is worth keeping track of your resting heart rate. This can indicate if you are overtraining/not recovering enough but also if you are coming down with an illness I.e. resting heart rate is consistently higher than normal. 


    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 862
    mcsdan said:
    If you have a watch that does heart rate it is worth keeping track of your resting heart rate. This can indicate if you are overtraining/not recovering enough but also if you are coming down with an illness I.e. resting heart rate is consistently higher than normal. 

    Yea, I keep an eye on mine. It’s consistently around 50-55 Bpm so I know if it’s more than that that I’m not right. 

    I’m due to do a fitness test on myself on Wednesday morning to try and figure out my max HR so I can calculate my training zones for my training plan as the 220-age calculation is bobbins and not very accurate at all. 


    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 1535
    I don't measure mine at the moment, I'm probably going to get a watch for Xmas though. It's 55 at work according to my phone, low enough for my malaise to be simple CBA. :)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 8222
    Just hit my 2018 distance goal target of 1 million meters (or 1000km)

    Going to push on for my stretch goal of 1200km now :)
    Handsome_Chris said: Like white Nile Rodgers. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 2100
    edited October 19
    Did my usual 10k last night which I do once, twice per week (depending on cycling/kayaking opportunities) feels like I have broken my hip today its alright when I've been moving for a while, if i sit for a bit its agony getting up.

    (I realise the answer is not to sit down : )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 204
    Just hit my 2018 distance goal target of 1 million meters (or 1000km)

    Going to push on for my stretch goal of 1200km now :)
    Excellent, well done. :-)

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 862
    Yep, good work! I'm still (just about) on track for 500m/800km this year, but had a week off this week as fell down the stairs carrying my 10 month old and obviously sacrificed myself to make sure he was unharmed as much as possible! So have had a sore neck and back all week. it's feeling more normal now so may try a run tonight, if not get back on it sunday/monday. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.