Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2018 Running Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    joneve said:
    mcsdan said:
    Thanks guys. Weather is looking good for it although will be cold through the night running next to the Thames.

Hope shins feel better soone @joneve ;
    cheers mate, I'm sure they'll be fine. It's going to be a constant management thing for the rest of time it seems! 
    It can get like that for some of us - me and my hip/pelvis for example. I'm not going to stop running, and increasing my miles is having an effect< i just need to be careful that it stays an ache and doesn't develop into a pain.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    joneve said:

cheers mate, I'm sure they'll be fine. It's going to be a constant management thing for the rest of time it seems! 
    @joneve ;Could be worth seeing a physio that does GAIT analysis. Not the one they do in the shop when you buy trainers but a full GAIT looking at how you run, land etc. I did this with mine a few years back and amazing what they pick up.  Mine was only £30 so money well spent. 

Overloads in the lower leg (calf, shin, foot) are usually the result of a weakness further up the posterior chain. Lots of runners I see have weak glutes and they use their calf muscles to propel rather than glutes/achilles etc.
    Also check out James Dunne at Kinetic Revolution on the web/youtube. He does a 30 day runner strength building routine (free) which I know alot of runners have found really helps.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2018
    Race done. Thames Path 100 (centurion running). 102 miles non-stop along the Thames Path from Richmond,London to Oxford. Absolutely brutal in this heat and around 40% of the field dropped out. I don't run well in the heat so had to adjust race strategy and despite my calf going (completely fatigued) around 80 miles I just managed to keep under the cut offs and finish.

My slowest 100 miler ever but the heat really did take it out of everyone. The evening/early morning temperature dropped and it was the complete opposite and freezing.

Anyway, job done and onto the next one in 5 weeks time.

=746miles/1200km

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Did 9.22km yesterday (in 49:36), my longest run for, well probably over a year. Wasn't pushing myself after my knees a few weeks ago, and then writing off my bike mid-week, but happy with the distance.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 483
    Haven't run for probably a couple of years and I'm completely out of shape but I've done the first week of couch to 5k and I'm looking forward to getting back into it properly.  It'll be a little while before I'm posting distance like some on here but I'll get there.  
    Nice one @RedRabbit ;

I missed my run this morning.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2431
    I hadn’t run for a good 18 months but have started getting back into it clocking 84miles in April.

I have a local 10k on Sunday but I hurt my foot last Saturday and it’s still tender so looks like I’ll have to give it a miss.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    Decided I’d incorporate a short 5km run whilst walking the dog last night (5km run then give the dog half an hour off lead)....ended up running 10km as I did some laps of the field whilst the dog was roaming and thought ‘why not just carry on to 10k?’

mcsdan said:
    joneve said:

@joneve ;Could be worth seeing a physio that does GAIT analysis. Not the one they do in the shop when you buy trainers but a full GAIT looking at how you run, land etc. I did this with mine a few years back and amazing what they pick up.  Mine was only £30 so money well spent. 

Overloads in the lower leg (calf, shin, foot) are usually the result of a weakness further up the posterior chain. Lots of runners I see have weak glutes and they use their calf muscles to propel rather than glutes/achilles etc.
    Also, after reading this, I made a conscious effort to try and not push off with my feet so much putting strain on my lower leg and instead lift my legs to move me forward...made a huge difference. Legs didn’t feel fatigued as early as normal and had next to no niggling for the entire run. So thanks for that @mcsdan ;

My lower back is sore now, but I have bad posture and lower back pain sometimes anyway and it’s probably a result of going from a 5km longest run this year, straight to 10km. 

My mate has had his place going spare at the Bristol 10k this weekend which I might do, mostly for the free t shirt. 
    5.5 mile run yesterday morning. It was light enough to come back along the unlit riverside path. Very few homeless people sleeping out, which is either a good thing or a bad thing. Good if they have somewhere else to go, bad if the city centre has undergone "cleansing" just to get the poor sods out.
    edited May 2018
    that's good to hear @joneve. It does take a while to get used to pushing with glutes. Make sure you aren't pushing too far back with your leg(hyperextends the lower back). To help with this keep your cadence up (steps per minute). Easiest way is to shorten your stride a bit but increase the speed of your feet (shorter faster steps). The ideal is around 180 steps per minute (90 left,90 right) for normal running. Faster sprinting will obviously go up for for 5-10km 180 spm would be ideal. Most run watches or run apps will tell you the cadence (e.g. strava) or you can count it for 15s and x 4. See where you're at and make a conscious effort to increase a bit over a few weeks. I see lots of runners with low cadence around 160 so generally get them upto around 168-170 initially i.e. not too big an increase.

Also make sure your head is up. Think of a helium balloon tied to the back of your neck and it is lifting your head. Again, that should help with lower back (not hunching over).

Hope this helps and see how you get on.
    5.5 mile run yesterday morning. It was light enough to come back along the unlit riverside path.
    Good to hear you're back out running again. Makes alot of difference with the lighter evenings now. :)
    mcsdan said:
    5.5 mile run yesterday morning. It was light enough to come back along the unlit riverside path.
    Good to hear you're back out running again. Makes alot of difference with the lighter evenings now. :)
    Indeed! Thanks. 5.5 strange miles at lunchtime today. Walked for half a mile or so all told. I tried the long route through Almondsbury, but the road was closed due to an asbestos hazard!! So I retraced my steps but ended up going up a lane that was a bit too busy for comfort. Could be my last run around here for a while, I start a new job on Monday.
    mcsdan said:
    that's good to hear @joneve. It does take a while to get used to pushing with glutes. Make sure you aren't pushing too far back with your leg(hyperextends the lower back). To help with this keep your cadence up (steps per minute). Easiest way is to shorten your stride a bit but increase the speed of your feet (shorter faster steps). The ideal is around 180 steps per minute (90 left,90 right) for normal running. Faster sprinting will obviously go up for for 5-10km 180 spm would be ideal. Most run watches or run apps will tell you the cadence (e.g. strava) or you can count it for 15s and x 4. See where you're at and make a conscious effort to increase a bit over a few weeks. I see lots of runners with low cadence around 160 so generally get them upto around 168-170 initially i.e. not too big an increase.

Also make sure your head is up. Think of a helium balloon tied to the back of your neck and it is lifting your head. Again, that should help with lower back (not hunching over).

Hope this helps and see how you get on.
    Cheers mate. If back pain subsides, I’m still planning on taking my mate’s place at the Bristol 10k on Sunday, so we’ll see. Not going for any PBs, but will be concentrating on some of the stuff you point out, as I think this is what’s potentially causing it. But legs feel so much better. They’re tired today but not painful or tight at all; which I can only take as a positive. 

mcsdan said:
    Indeed! Thanks. 5.5 strange miles at lunchtime today. Walked for half a mile or so all told. I tried the long route through Almondsbury, but the road was closed due to an asbestos hazard!! So I retraced my steps but ended up going up a lane that was a bit too busy for comfort. Could be my last run around here for a while, I start a new job on Monday.
    Good luck wiht new job. Sure you'll find some nice routes to run :)
    joneve said:
    Cheers mate. If back pain subsides, I’m still planning on taking my mate’s place at the Bristol 10k on Sunday, so we’ll see. Not going for any PBs, but will be concentrating on some of the stuff you point out, as I think this is what’s potentially causing it. But legs feel so much better. They’re tired today but not painful or tight at all; which I can only take as a positive. 

Excellent. Give it time and work on it and you'll not only feel less achy/stiff but also improve times. Just takes a few runs to see the benefits. Good luck for the Bristol 10k on Sunday and let us know how you get on :)
    mcsdan said:
    mcsdan said:
    Good luck wiht new job. Sure you'll find some nice routes to run :)

Thanks! It could be a challenge of not having enough spare time, I may have to be a bit flexible when I'm travelling a lot, we'll see how it goes.
    Hard 10k in Bristol this morning. Finished with a time of 52:22. Wanted sub 50, but might have been a bit ambitious with the issues I’ve been having. 

Absolutely dunzo now. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2431
    Managed to make my 10k event, hadn’t run all week but managed to get 56:35 which I am pleased with(was aiming for anything under an hour)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Another half marathon training session yesterday.

Sore legs!