Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2018 Running Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    5.5 miles today along the Usk.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    This would bother my OCD and I'd have to go to 6 miles or 6.2 to make it 10km. 

d8m said:
    Managed to make my 10k event, hadn’t run all week but managed to get 56:35 which I am pleased with(was aiming for anything under an hour)
    Good work mate! Not sure what the weather was like for you, but Bristol was warm, which didn't help with quick times. 
    joneve said:
    This would bother my OCD and I'd have to go to 6 miles or 6.2 to make it 10km. 

You'd hate me then. :) My regular run used to be 7.16 miles.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    joneve said:
    Hard 10k in Bristol this morning. Finished with a time of 52:22. Wanted sub 50, but might have been a bit ambitious with the issues I’ve been having. 

Absolutely dunzo now. 
    Well done. Great time for 10k :-)

mcsdan said:
    joneve said:
    Hard 10k in Bristol this morning. Finished with a time of 52:22. Wanted sub 50, but might have been a bit ambitious with the issues I’ve been having. 

Absolutely dunzo now. 
    Well done. Great time for 10k :-)

Thanks! On reflection I'm pretty pleased.

My goal (injury permitting) is to get to my sub-50 target. Hopefully I can run more frequently in the week from June, as we're moving offices and will finally have a shower, so I can do some 5km runs at lunch. Would like to run a sub 24min 5km too.

and I need to start doing some longer runs to get my body used to them for the Mid-Distance Tri in August. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    Did a lunch time 5k at work today. I put Strava into kilometers (from miles), turned on the audio notifications (gives you 0.5km updates on pace), and pushed myself. Got a new 5km personal record of 21:57 down from 23:43 - very pleased with that although it seriously hurt.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BigMonka said:
    Did a lunch time 5k at work today. I put Strava into kilometers (from miles), turned on the audio notifications (gives you 0.5km updates on pace), and pushed myself. Got a new 5km personal record of 21:57 down from 23:43 - very pleased with that although it seriously hurt.
    JAYZIZ. That's a massive time cut! Good work sir! 
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I am really tempted by the thought of a 1/2 marahon. If you can manage a 10km run regularly, a half-marthon shouldn't be impossible right (it is *only* twice the distance)? Or am I kidding myself?
    quarky said:
    I am really tempted by the thought of a 1/2 marahon. If you can manage a 10km run regularly, a half-marthon shouldn't be impossible right (it is *only* twice the distance)? Or am I kidding myself?
    Do it. 

I did Bristol Half last year in 1 hour 58ish having run 10 miles once. and previously having 10km as my furthest run. 

quarky said:
    Half marathon ought to be called double 10km (21km actually) since it closer resembles doing 2 x 10km rather than a half marathon (you don't hit the wall). 

Go for it. Nothing like a race to spur you on.  :)
    I normally get runners upto 10 miles for a half marathon. If time then they go longer but once you hit 10 miles you are capable of doing the half.
    No run today. I'll hopefully get one in before I drive to Reading tomorrow.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2431
    joneve said:

d8m said:
    Managed to make my 10k event, hadn’t run all week but managed to get 56:35 which I am pleased with(was aiming for anything under an hour)
    Good work mate! Not sure what the weather was like for you, but Bristol was warm, which didn't help with quick times. 
    Cheers buddy :) I hurt my foot the week before and was all but certain I would have to miss it so I was just glad to turn up on the day and finish.

Another 4.1 miles tonight half on road half on trails.

Got 5.5 miles in, all good.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    quarky said:

Do it.

I didn't find going from 10k to a half marathon that big of a deal.
    One to watch on Netflix:

Great "race".  No finishers this year and some top elites taking part too. Although the loops are around 20 miles each they have been reported as being much longer (25+). So a 100 miler becomes more like 125-130. Ouch.  The terrain condition + elevation is awful too and is what makes it difficult. The distance is pretty standard for ultra runners.  

Classic race and would love to take part at some point in the future with no aspirations of finishing! Here's hoping!
    edited May 2018
    mcsdan said:
    Great "race".  No finishers this year and some top elites taking part too. Although the loops are around 20 miles each they have been reported as being much longer (25+). So a 100 miler becomes more like 125-130. Ouch.  The terrain condition + elevation is awful too and is what makes it difficult. The distance is pretty standard for ultra runners.  

Classic race and would love to take part at some point in the future with no aspirations of finishing! Here's hoping!
    I would probably end up sleeping through the conch!

Another 6.94 miles for me today almost all on trail, ground is hard though could do with a splash of rain to soften it up!

Seem to have picked up another injury after last nights run(or a continuation of a previous)
    Pain on the outside of my foot and strange sensation that feels like creaking in the foot itself when moving sometimes?

Ive had a few shoe problems this last month since getting back into it, I purchased what turned out to be a pair of indoor running shoes and ran them on roads and fields for a while which caused my footpain. Once I had realised what was going on  switched back to my old shoes and have done a couple more runs but they are pretty worn out.

My mileage is increasing so I think its time to bite the bullet and rather than using sportdirect I plan to go to a Up and running tomorrow and get a proper analysis and suitable new shoes, will cost more but better in long run.