Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Question: Who Are The Kids Listening to?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    AlexC said:
    Been thinking about this thread...
    Why would anyone want to learn to play the guitar if they don’t listen to guitar-centric/guitar based music? I don’t get it.
    https://genderandrepresentation.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/gender-2.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    AlexC said:
    Been thinking about this thread...
    Why would anyone want to learn to play the guitar if they don’t listen to guitar-centric/guitar based music? I don’t get it.
    Kids like to learn musical instruments ( well, until they discover it’s hard) and the choice might be a bit arbitrary ( what they’ve seen, what dad is pushing them into). My son did clarinet up to grade 4 and I don’t think he had any interest in music with clarinet in, he liked learning and he liked doing the youth orchestra stuff ( he even got to play at Birmingham symphony hall). 

If you were teaching the kids bassoon or bagpipes then you wouldn’t be bothered about trying to do versions of modern popular songs, you’d be teaching them something from a standard repertoire appropriate to their level. When I’ve seen my son’s friend’s get good on instruments they’ve been playing Oasis, Nirvana and Hendrix (et al), I don’t think they felt particularly connected to it but they see it as that’s what you play on a guitar. Maybe it’s later down the line that they develop their own interests. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    Not sure you'll see too many guitars in mainstream pop music again - it takes time and effort to the learn the guitar and kids these days are too busy with their social lives. They are also force fed the idea that been a cool singer/rapper or whatever is where you want to be and that success can be had in five minutes, or via the X-Factor.

My guitar teacher (in 2016) bemoaned the fact that he wasn't getting many young kids coming through with a desire to master the instrument. Most wanted to learn a few chords so they could strum an acoustic and sing before they moved on to EDM etc.

The only area which is defying the trend is metal music ... 
    It also takes time and effort to record them at the quality of the sampled instruments and synths that go into EDM. Guitars are just not a good investment of time viewed in the context of modern pop. All the time needs to go into the vocal realistically.

Metal is going increasingly DIY. There are more technically talented guitarists than ever in the metal genre but I wonder how many are taught via online resources. That’s definitely the way learning about production is going anyway.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    Fretwired said:
    Not sure you'll see too many guitars in mainstream pop music again - it takes time and effort to the learn the guitar and kids these days are too busy with their social lives. They are also force fed the idea that been a cool singer/rapper or whatever is where you want to be and that success can be had in five minutes, or via the X-Factor.

My guitar teacher (in 2016) bemoaned the fact that he wasn't getting many young kids coming through with a desire to master the instrument. Most wanted to learn a few chords so they could strum an acoustic and sing before they moved on to EDM etc.

The only area which is defying the trend is metal music ... 
    It also takes time and effort to record them at the quality of the sampled instruments and synths that go into EDM. Guitars are just not a good investment of time viewed in the context of modern pop. All the time needs to go into the vocal realistically.

Metal is going increasingly DIY. There are more technically talented guitarists than ever in the metal genre but I wonder how many are taught via online resources. That’s definitely the way learning about production is going anyway.
    But the vocals sound horrible.  The human voice is a wonderful, expressive thing, but most of the stuff on a radio station like Capital sounds like it's auto-tuned to death.  There are probably other effects on there as well, but it just doesn't sound like a human singing.
  • Listen to some stuff produced by Zedd. He’s known for taking several days per song to produce and edit a vocal.

https://youtu.be/i-gyZ35074k

https://youtu.be/L8eRzOYhLuw
  • Also I do listen to pop and I'd say in the past few years the quality of lead vocals is higher now than late 00's and earlier this decade where hard tuned autotune was on everything.  That is still a 'sound', or style rather, but the stuff that isn't supposed to sound tuned pretty much doesn't these days - even though it almost always is if it sounds perfectly in tune. 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    My kids listen to the radio. Usually on the school run. The Mrs has smooth fm on or city Gold etc. My son aged 7 has a password on his tablet   Barry White!  laughed my head off when he told me. He also likes Bob Marley and some beatles tunes hes heard also in the car. 
    Not much music being played in the house . The gadgets and gaming consoles have very much killed the radio star, Not quite made it to the car  yet though.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    edited February 2018
    Nobody listens to Harpsichord music any more but you can still buy one.

I prefer guitar based music as I imagine many here on this guitar forum do, but music is cyclical, maybe guitars will come back, maybe they wont.  Doesn't stop any of us playing them though.

Most modern pop is actually a hell of a lot better than it was 20 years ago in terms of what fills up the charts.  Compare the average Ariana Grande track with sodding Freddie and the Dreamers, the standard is a lot higher.

A lot of angry noisy music is loved precisely because us old fuddy duddies hate it, but the lovely thing is as mentioned above, with YouTube and Spotify you can listen to anything from any time whenever you want, a fantastic gift to the current generation I think.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    In the past it was always the kids listening to music that the orer generations thought was too noisy and too extreme. We have now reaches a situation where people like me that grew up with Napalm Death, Autopsy, Godflesh, Swans, Cathedral etc hear the music the kids listen to and think it is too light and soft. 
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941

I prefer guitar based music as I imagine many here on this guitar forum do, but music is cyclical, maybe guitars will come back, maybe they wont.  Doesn't stop any of us playing them though.

Most modern pop is actually a hell of a lot better than it was 20 years ago in terms of what fills up the charts.  Compare the average Ariana Grande track with sodding Freddie and the Dreamers, the standard is a lot higher.

A lot of angry noisy music is loved precisely because us old fuddy duddies hate it, but the lovely thing is as mentioned above, with YouTube and Spotify you can listen to anything from any time whenever you want, a fantastic gift to the current generation I think.
    Did Freddie and the Dreamers make a comeback in the 1990's then?

I would agree that the chart of 20 years ago doesn't compare well, but if you look at a typical top 30 from say 40 years ago you will see names like the Stones, Beach Boys, Small Faces, Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding, Scott Walker, it's no contest surely.

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    edited February 2018
    Reverend said:
    In the past it was always the kids listening to music that the orer generations thought was too noisy and too extreme. We have now reaches a situation where people like me that grew up with Napalm Death, Autopsy, Godflesh, Swans, Cathedral etc hear the music the kids listen to and think it is too light and soft. 

Dulcet Jones said
    Exactly!  I'm more the Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin era but the same sentiment applies.  I recall a quote by Alice Cooper about 2 years ago concerning the current music scene, he said "I think the kids today should just eat a steak".

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

edited February 2018
    Neill said:

I would agree that the chart of 20 years ago doesn't compare well, but if you look at a typical top 30 from say 40 years ago you will see names like the Stones, Beach Boys, Small Faces, Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding, Scott Walker, it's no contest surely.

Wrote that in a hurry on my phone.

I'm talking about the chaff, not the wheat.  The overall quality of the average pop is now better than it was before.

40 years ago was 1978 as well if we are being picky, so some great tracks but a loooot of dreck...

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19780129/7501/

• fobfob Frets: 1430
    My daughter listens to King Krule. Have you heard him? He sounds like he's drunk.

https://youtu.be/LL_iUj-mQfg

I nearly didn't listen to that based on most of the other comments on it in this thread but I'm glad I did, I quite liked it. Not a great singer but I think he makes it work for him.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2329
    Listen to some random music on YT...if you think its okay then the kids won't like it. Find something you think is dreadful and you will find that's what they are into 
    I once made the mistake of trying to interact with a teen relative who was wearing a Pearl Jam T-shirt. I told them I went to see their first UK tour and stood next to Eddie Vedder watching the support band. I pulled out my signed ticket from the drawer. All I got was....'I don't listen to them, just thought the T-shirt looked good......'  Yep, that was me told.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Neill said:

I'm talking about the chaff, not the wheat.  The overall quality of the average pop is now better than it was before.

40 years ago was 1978 as well if we are being picky, so some great tracks but a loooot of dreck...

Sorry but I totally disagree with that, I don't know by what criteria you judge "quality" but it's clearly not he same as mine.
  • Strat54 said:
    Listen to some random music on YT...if you think its okay then the kids won't like it. Find something you think is dreadful and you will find that's what they are into 
    I once made the mistake of trying to interact with a teen relative who was wearing a Pearl Jam T-shirt. I told them I went to see their first UK tour and stood next to Eddie Vedder watching the support band. I pulled out my signed ticket from the drawer. All I got was....'I don't listen to them, just thought the T-shirt looked good......'  Yep, that was me told.
    With my kids they have to discover stuff for themselves. My eldest ‘discovered ‘ Bob Marley last year and wondered if I had heard of him. I said son when I was driving you to all those wacky warehouse parties what do you think was in the CD player...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Strat54 said:

But just possibly you made him think about why that made him a complete plonker.

Or maybe not.

Neill said:

Sorry but I totally disagree with that, I don't know by what criteria you judge "quality" but it's clearly not he same as mine.
    I would say that overall it's almost exactly the same, as it always has been.

I was actually surprised how much good stuff there was in that 1978 chart, more than I would expect on average. If you take the totals for any individual year you find a lot more rubbish though.

Get a '1000 Hits' album from any decade and see what you find...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    Strat54 said:

But just possibly you made him think about why that made him a complete plonker.

Or maybe not.

Neill said:

I would say that overall it's almost exactly the same, as it always has been.

I was actually surprised how much good stuff there was in that 1978 chart, more than I would expect on average. If you take the totals for any individual year you find a lot more rubbish though.

Get a '1000 Hits' album from any decade and see what you find...
    Quite surprised that The Sweet we’re still having hits in 1978. Some absolute crackers in there, Uptown Top Ranking is great, I even have an alternative take in my CDs somewhere. Quite a complicated history to the song as it’s a version of earlier reggae classics. I love the clips of them on TOTP looking incredibly awkward - no media training or fashion consultants ( well, if they did have them they did a very bad job). 
    edited February 2018
    Neill said:
    Neill said:

I should clarify I have time for almost none of it, but it does seem a lot of effort goes into the stuff they currently make that I don't like...

Edit:  I also should clarify I mean pop as in pure pop, not "rock".  I just think where the pappier side of pop is concerned, the writers and producers have raised their game a bit.

In terms of things that stand out as legitimately brilliant in the charts, as in things that would stand comparison with the Stones, classic Soul recordings or the best stuff Scott walker did, I don't think music has ever been worse!
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Bottom line is - there’s a lot of great music around from young/younger artists. If you’re talking about what makes the Top 40 Radio 1 playlist then that’s a whole different thing. Pretty much same as it ever was in that respect. The guitar will never ‘die’ - neither will acoustic drums, violins, pianos... or indeed harpsichords.