Delay Pedal suggestion

What's Hot
ab2017ab2017 Frets: 20
edited January 2018 in FX
Righto I have been through many Delay pedals over the Years and never found one that I really bond with

Would prefer tap tempo, quiet in operation (power noise etc) either analog or digital. less than £200 new or £100 used. No EHX as sick of the unreliability. Dotted 1/8ths 

Pedals that I have had are

Boss DD-3 (No tempo), DD-5 (1st best mojo and liked external switch but but no analog) DD-7 (Too much), MXR Carbon Copy (muddy repeats no tap), Line6 Echo Park (clunky) and DL-4 (yuck bypass tone), TC Nova Repeater (3rd best), TC Nova (hated tone), TC Alter ego x4 (2nd best but too big), Digitech Timebender (too many options), Dan Echo (nice sounding but no options), Mooer Ana Echo (so so)and Reecho (noisy).

I'm not a fan of single pedals where you have to set the tap tempo by holding down pedal for a number of seconds and then tapping. Liking the looking of belle epoch and mxr echoplex and boss dm-2w or dd-20 or going back to a dd5 n footswitch and finding a small analog tape echo type too. 

Just wondering others i might have missed and or thoughts. Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    2nd Prov Chrono

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s outside of your price range, but a cheaper second hand El Capistan is a really nice delay.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    +1 for the Chrono...I have one and the bypass seems fine  :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    DOD Rubberneck? Has tap tempo and subdivisions, has a few options but all knob based rather than sub menus and you can do some wacky stuff.  

T Rex Replaybox? Very straightforward digital delay with tap tempo, small footprint, subdivisions. Seem to be some good prices on this at the moment. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I get all my tap delay functions from a line6 m5 box and it’s not letting me down.

Best delay pedal I’ve used and heard is the anasounds utopia. No tap function though but it’s easy to adjust on the fly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ab2017ab2017 Frets: 20
    Ohhh that rubberneck looks super interesting as well as I've a spare Digitech 3 button switch sitting around too
  • Rubberneck for your budget
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I'd also say Rubberneck, or for bang on £200 you could pick up a used SA Nemesis which would be my preference.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    +1 for the Trex Replay
    Don't touch that dial.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    ab2017 said:

Would prefer tap tempo, quiet in operation (power noise etc) either analog or digital. less than £200 new or £100 used...
    ...DD-7 (Too much)...
    ...or going back to a dd5 n footswitch and finding a small analog tape echo type too. 

DD-7 is £120ish new which I thought wasn't too much?  Its tap tempo works for live with a foot switch -- otherwise I agree with you about the faff of setting and holding and all that malarkey.  But the DD-7 I'd have thought would tick the boxes.  The only thing I didn't like about mine was that it seemed characterless whatever that means.  Because I couldn't fault it for functionality.

However, I like character so... the Belle Epoch has plenty of that.  No tap tempo but it doesn't really matter.  And paired with the Echorec it's like you never have to leave the 1970s.  Great fun!  (But inevitably over budget!)
  • The DD7 is great and easy to pick up used for less than £100. My preferred option is a DD2 but it doesn't have tap tempo.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    edited January 2018
    Strymon Brigadier, solved my delay woes, it's simply perfect. Has everything you mention and more. Very versatile but easy as to dial in.Tried too many to mention, picked mine on here for £160, worth every penny.
    edited January 2018
    Grunfeld said:
    ab2017 said:

Would prefer tap tempo, quiet in operation (power noise etc) either analog or digital. less than £200 new or £100 used...
    ...DD-7 (Too much)...
    ...or going back to a dd5 n footswitch and finding a small analog tape echo type too. 

DD-7 is £120ish new which I thought wasn't too much?  Its tap tempo works for live with a foot switch -- otherwise I agree with you about the faff of setting and holding and all that malarkey.  But the DD-7 I'd have thought would tick the boxes.  The only thing I didn't like about mine was that it seemed characterless whatever that means.  Because I couldn't fault it for functionality.

However, I like character so... the Belle Epoch has plenty of that.  No tap tempo but it doesn't really matter.  And paired with the Echorec it's like you never have to leave the 1970s.  Great fun!  (But inevitably over budget!)
    Exactly the same thoughts of dd-7 was jack of all trades but a bit characterless. So far Dod rubberneck is top of list from all the suggestions. Hated timeline. Too clinical and seemed to add a fizzle to high end so a bit sceptical about stroymon
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2285
    MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe - tap tempo, bright switch.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Tc flashback x4...... All the delay you will ever need. 
    Had the alter ego X4 but too big and too much for my needs. CC DELUXE seems a bit pricey considering they are $229 USD currently and they want £230 I'll pass on that as I wasn't a fan of the original.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    DD500
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    JD Echoplex EP103 were £189 new but I think they have gone up in price. You'll have to buy the foot switch separately though. 
  • GFI Clockwork 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    GFI Clockwork 
    The V3 just got announced at NAMM,bit simpler, changed the algorithms. Andertons have them on pre order and have reduced the price on the V2 ( a bit). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.