Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

This flu virus thing that's doing the rounds

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12348
    @boogieman hope you feel better soon. Have you had a hot toddy today?
    Thanks chap. Been hitting the honey and lemon every day but I hate the taste of whisky so no actual toddies. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not ill but my eyes are watery and itchy plus I have a runny nose. Surely no one gets hay fever in January? 
  • Sporky said:
    I really don't understand why some people take their disease to work with them. If you can't leave your disease at home, stay at home with it until it leaves you, don't give it to someone else  :p
    I've long thought it should be a disciplinary offence to go to work while infectious.

Of course, then you've got to prove that whatever they have is contagious.

Most places I've worked have nonsensical sickness policies that police how many times you get ill over a given period then have you hauled up in front of your line manager to promise not to get ill any more, for all that's worth.

If you're genuinely ill, you're genuinely ill. If you're genuinely ill more times than you're "allowed" to be in 12 months or whatever, it's still genuine illness. This sort of policy does nothing to deter "sickies", since anyone with an ounce of sense will stay under the limit, it just penalizes people who try to keep their germs away from their work colleagues.

I think people who drag themselves to work when they're ill are generally motivated by "not wanting to be a burden", or some such. If their work needs to be done by somebody if they don't turn up, so they do turn up with their Lemsip and a big box of tissues, I can see how they think they're doing the right thing. To be fair, if they took a day off whenever they had a snotty nose or a sore throat, the same people making the "Typhoid Mary" cracks at work would be cussing them out for malingering. Can't win.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Half term this week. The younger of the two kids felt a bit ick the other day but no major upchuck. Gran came round Saturday and she took the elder child to her place at 6pm. 

By 8pm I'm feeling rough. At 10pm it's coming from both ends. I spent 8 hours mostly simultaneously shitting and puking. Eldest child had started puking at 11pm. Now Gran has it. 

I thought gastric flu in Canada 13 years ago was bad but this has been something else. I lost 8.5 lbs in that eight hours overnight and feel absolutely nailed right now. 

Half term this week. The younger of the two kids felt a bit ick the other day but no major upchuck. Gran came round Saturday and she took the elder child to her place at 6pm. 

By 8pm I'm feeling rough. At 10pm it's coming from both ends. I spent 8 hours mostly simultaneously shitting and puking. Eldest child had started puking at 11pm. Now Gran has it. 

I thought gastric flu in Canada 13 years ago was bad but this has been something else. I lost 8.5 lbs in that eight hours overnight and feel absolutely nailed right now. 
    Nasty. Hope you feel better soon fella. 

I’ve still not managed to shake off the dry cough that I got with the flu. Been three weeks now. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Back to the doctor again today, signed me off for another week - jeez, that will be 3 weeks !

hopefully fit and back and singing by the time of the FB South Jam! :)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Had the Flu Jab in October.
    Had Flu since Dec 25th and still got it.
    Last few days have been uncontrollable coughing, breathing problems and zero sleep. Lethargy abounds.
    GP just smiles and says words, most of which do nothing.

Another night like last night and it'll be hosital again.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Alnico said:
    Last few days have been uncontrollable coughing, breathing problems and zero sleep. Lethargy abounds.

You have my empathy. I went through 3 nights last week of being unable to sleep because of the coughing. Spent one night sat at the kitchen table (not recommended) and 2 nights in the armchair propped up by cushions and bean bag (better) 

wish you well
    the anti biotics are finally finally making a difference

apparently it’s not flu that’s going round, but a virus, so the flu jab won’t work for thta
    sev112 said:
    Alnico said:

You have my empathy. I went through 3 nights last week of being unable to sleep because of the coughing. Spent one night sat at the kitchen table (not recommended) and 2 nights in the armchair propped up by cushions and bean bag (better) 

wish you well
    the anti biotics are finally finally making a difference

apparently it’s not flu that’s going round, but a virus, so the flu jab won’t work for thta
    I'm seeing GP again on the 28th, I'll mention that to him.

I had AB's about 4 weeks ago and they did nothing but I'll ask again.

I have lymph node problems (CLD) and it may be that they're all swollen and fucked again, in which case there's something blocking the airway.
    Another night like last night and we'll find out at hospital.

I've been sat up all night for months now. It gets very boring very quickly.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    edited February 2018
    I`ve had it for 7 days now, still washed out and coughing but have finally got up after 4 days and will attempt to attend work tomorrow.

My wife has been in bed now for 7 days and I don`t think I have ever seen anyone so ill, it`s awful. Had the flu jab so feel like I`ve got off lightly in comparison. 
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    yip - wife - shes miserable= hoping I dont catch it - 
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    I had it in January, cold sweats, shivering, nausea, proper aches and pains all through my body, tired all the time, get out of breath walking from van to the shop, etc

I was off work for roughly a week with it, the fucker keeps trying to come back (probably because I don't fully rest up, once I feel "able" I drag myself to do something). Been working from home today as I feel grim again - my body just aches all the time and I keep falling asleep. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I had the flu jab as usual, and whatever I've got didn't actually break into a full-blown fever, so I don't think it was actual influenza, but it's been pretty awful. Ten days in now, my calluses are melting away. :(
    Well it's not flu.

Been in A+E since 3am. I stopped being able to breathe.
    Going to be admitted now and kept in for a few days it seems.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Alnico said:
    Well it's not flu.

I hear breathing is pretty important - best place to be if you’re having trouble!

Seriously though, hope you’re ok and on the mend soon! 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    edited February 2018
    Couldnt get rid of my cough and temperature since last thursday.
    Been taking the ibuprophen,paracetamol.sudafed all the usual. Eventually gave up and went the docs. Chest infection and antibiotics. Hopefully on the mend now . Sick of going to bed before the kids. 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited February 2018
    Alnico said:
    Well it's not flu.

Real sorry to hear that. I've had CLL for years and have swollen neck lymph nodes. What is your CLD? Is that lymphoproliferative?

Edit to add I hope you get well soon and back home.
    mbe said:
    Alnico said:
    Well it's not flu.

Real sorry to hear that. I've had CLL for years and have swollen neck lymph nodes. What is your CLD? Is that lymphoproliferative?

Edit to add I hope you get well soon and back home.
    Yes
    Chronic Lymphoproliferative Disorder.
    The problem is in the windpipe where it splits into the two lungs. When the lymph nodes "Proliferate" they over produce and block the airway.

It's awful.
    Feels like a golf ball stuck so deep you'll never get it out.

Thanks for yours and other people's thoughts. 
    I hope I get over this too.

I had plans.
  • Dunno what it was but i was bed ridden for nearly a week and very unwell for about 2 weeks in total at a the atart of the year. Worst flu I've ever had! 
    Just realised that I posted this over three weeks ago. Still not completely shaken the bloody thing off completely and although we both feel infinitely better, we’re not 100% either.