SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WANTED: Macbook Pro RAM

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
edited January 2018 in Misc £

Before I head to the uncharted waters of eBay, has anyone got 8 or 16* Gb of RAM spare?

I've got one of these: 13 inch Late 2011 Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz core i5 (currently with 4gb 1333 DDR3 installed), so I'd like to drop in a wee bit more if possible.

*I've read that 16Gb is possible - Apple don't quote this though (just 8Gb) - any ideas?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Get yourself onto crucial.com mate. Well priced memory with the correct spec for your mac. I think thats where 90% people go to get their mac upgrades :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3144
    tFB Trader

*I've read that 16Gb is possible - Apple don't quote this though (just 8Gb) - any ideas?
    Yes, you can go to 16gb (2x8gb) although the OS still shows it as 8gb. Third party apps will show it as 16gb and you can run tests to prove that it's utilizing all of it.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    Thanks both. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    16gb would be somewhat needless. The majority of software wouldn’t even require that much. IMHO, if you’ve been managing on 4gb, 8gb would be sufficient.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    13 inch Late 2011 Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz core i5 (currently with 4gb 1333 DDR3 installed). I've read that 16Gb is possible - Apple don't quote this though (just 8Gb) - any ideas?
    RiftAmps said:
    Yes, you can go to 16gb (2x8gb) although the OS still shows it as 8gb.
    The About This Mac summary on my Early 2011 i7 displays 8GB per slot. Total 16GB.

beed84 said:
    16gb would be somewhat needless. The majority of software wouldn’t even require that much. IMHO, if you’ve been managing on 4gb, 8gb would be sufficient.
    For DAW control freak power user Projects, almost the whole 16GB does occasionally get worked. Depends on how many plug-in heavy tracks are running. 

crucial.com mate. Well priced memory with the correct spec for your mac.
    Crucial and Kingston are my favourite suppliers of BNIB RAM for nearly new computers. For the OP's machine, such expense may be difficult to justify. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    just upgraded to 16g in my 2012 MBP, therefore i got 2x4g modules if you're interested- pm me.
    cheers
    andy k