Any Acid Pro users out there?

Considering getting Acid Pro 7.   Any thoughts or opinions?
I do mostly audio track recording and mixing.  Fairly basis stuff.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    edited January 2018
    AP7 is almost ten years old. I associate the product with loop-based music creation. Your decision to post this question on a guitar-oriented forum suggests that you are more inclined towards guitar, bass and drum kit music.

A quick look at an old Sound On Sound magazine review revealed similarities to Reaper FM software. Obviously, it will be possible to make simultaneous multi-track audio recordings with elderly software. I cannot help thinking that your money would be better spent on something more up-to-date.

If you are running a recent, 64-bit only iteration of Mac OSX, 32-bit software such as AP7 might be forbidden. (Similar to attempting to load PowerPC generation software into an Intel Mac.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • stringsthingsstringsthings Frets: 4
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for the info.  Didn't realize it was that old.  They are supposed to release version 8 in the spring.
    And they're including 8 with the purchase of 7.  Will give it some thought.  I'm running Windows 7.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    I'm running Windows 7.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I'm just too lazy to upgrade to Windows 10.... it's less tauntable.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    As  @Funkfingers said above, Acid seems to be oriented towards loop based song construction, which is fine if that's what you're into. DAWs like Cubase, Studio One and forum favourite Reaper have more of a linear timeline based workflow which I find more convenient for recording verse/chorus song type stuff. I don't know if Acid is VST compatible these days (it wasn't the last time I used it about 20 years ago) but if not I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. 

For loop based stuff, Ableton Live and Bitwig Studio seem to be the most common choices, both come with a good selection of drum loops and synths etc. While Reaper is an excellent DAW (and cheap) it doesn't come with a lot of content so is a good choice if you are comfortable programming your own drum parts etc. The others are more expensive but come with more content.

Another thing to consider is whether you are going to be collaborating with friends/bandmates in which case it is useful to use the same software. At the end of the day though, it depends what YOU are most comfortable with - most of the DAWs mentioned have demos available so I would advise downloading a couple and see how you get on.