Is it possible to add covers to Lollar humbuckers?

What's Hot
JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
edited April 2018 in Guitar
I’ve been looking to get some Lollar humbuckers for a while and have found a set second hand, only issue I have is that they’re the open coiled versions, does anyone know if it’s possible to add covers to them if I did buy them? It’s purely just an aesthetic thing but I much prefer the look of nickel covers than open coiled humbuckers! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
    bump
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14405
    Unless the coils bulge out beyond the bobbins, it should be possible to slide a metal cover over a regular humbucker.

Things begin to get complicated when you factor in the range of polepiece spacing arrangements now available and, in a few cases, the sizes of the polepiece screws themselves.

In the specific case of Lollar, he is known to be a fastidious designer. It is not unreasonable to assume that the open bobbin pickups you are considering were designed and developed to sound the way that they do WITHOUT covers. If the same model is available with covers, Lollar could be winding it slightly differently to arrive at the same overall sound.

If you want covered humbuckers and a specific sound, buy that combination.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Yes, just make sure you get the right pole spacing, assuming you're getting covers with holes. Usually the cover is soldered to the pickup baseplate and you want a decent iron to do that.

You could argue that it's not just aesthetic, as a metal cover will affect the tone somewhat.
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14166
    tFB Trader

In the specific case of Lollar, he is known to be a fastidious designer. It is not unreasonable to assume that the open bobbin pickups you are considering were designed and developed to sound the way that they do WITHOUT covers. If the same model is available with covers, Lollar could be winding it slightly differently to arrive at the same overall sound.

If you want covered humbuckers and a specific sound, buy that combination.

I'd tend to agree with you on that - check in with Charlie Chandlers Guitar Experience - they sell Lollars so might have a clear cut answer/advice for you
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    Just because they were designed to be uncovered doesn't mean Jtaylor won't like the tone more with the covers. Tastes vary.
    Edit: here's your answer http://www.lollarguitars.com/blog/category/pole-spacing/ 50mm for Gibson or 53mm for Fender spacing Lollars.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14405
    Alegree said:
    Just because they were designed to be uncovered doesn't mean Jtaylor won't like the tone more with the covers. Tastes vary.
    Agreed.

My comments were founded on the idea that the OP has thoroughly tested various replacement pickups before deciding which make/model to purchase. As opposed to the more simplistic approach of, "this is reputable brand, at a price I can afford, I'll give 'em a go."
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    I recall a video suggesting the actual covers don't do much to change the tone, and the difference was more down to the pole pieces. Consider that covered humbuckers have pole pieces set further from the coils to fit through the cover. In the case of no covers the pole pieces are set deeper into the coils and the whole pickup will be closer to the strings than in the case of covered pickups. 

Interesting theory 

Thanks for the help guys, didn't realise the covers could effect the sound of them so much! Will mull it over 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    If you do fit covers I believe you’re supposed to put some sort of sealant between the cover and the pickup before the cover gets soldered in place, otherwise it can rattle. I’ve seen YouTube videos where guys have used silicone bathroom sealant, not sure if that’s the best way of doing it but worth bearing in mind. 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    edited April 2018
    I usually adjust the polepieces down a bit, stick a bit of masking tape over the holes on the outside of the cover, drop a few wax beads inside the cover and melt them with a hot soldering iron, then drop in the pickup and clamp tightly for a few minutes. Whilst clamped, solder the cover on with a blob on each of the two long sides, remove the masking tape, adjust the pole pieces back up and clean off any excess wax.
    Sounds harder than it actually is.
    That seems to make sense, thanks @normula1 ;