Led Zeppelin Announce Re-issues with Unreleased tracks

What's Hot

Comments

• Nice to read a few more details about what the "new" tracks are.  I doubt they will be more than "one listen only" curiosities, but still it will be nice to hear them.

Page really needs to pull his finger out and get a new band together. Not a one-off collaboration, a proper band - yes indeed play the Zep material, but move forwards with it too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    He's been going on about doing something for years, surely if I can put a band together, Jimmy Page can.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Nice to read a few more details about what the "new" tracks are.  I doubt they will be more than "one listen only" curiosities, but still it will be nice to hear them.

Indeed, there were some extra tracks on the two box sets released in the 90s (IIRC Travelling Riverside Blues, The Girl I Love....and Hey Hey What Can I Do) which were pretty decent tracks.

Could these remaining tracks just be the sound of a barrel being scraped and an attempt to get me to buy all the albums AGAIN!!!!

Apparently it is stuff they found recently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2014
    Apparently it is stuff they found recently.
    I find that quite amazing. I know JP has a massive archive of loads of live stuff (which they plundered for the DVD/How the West Was Won) but for there to be studio tracks that have slipped through...although reading that link now it seems the tracks are early version of songs, so not really lost treasures.
    Yes, I think La La is the only "new" song.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Hmmm. I suspect things will start to get interesting for me once we get to LZ iv and especially PG. I've heard bits of the bootleg 'Alternative Grafitti' here and there and there's sone amazing stuff. Be good to hear that in proper quality sound.

There's the stuff from India as well.

When it gets to ITTOD I'd love for Pagey to suggest an alternative tracklist minus the shite like Hot Dog and adding the better stuff off Coda.

As for new JP stuff I'm not holding my breath.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Zzzzzzzzz.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Hopefully they haven't compressed it to flat. I got Mothership when it came out and compared it to my 2000s issue CDs and the 'remastering' had just meant they flattened everything.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited March 2014
    imalone said:
    Hopefully they haven't compressed it to flat. I got Mothership when it came out and compared it to my 2000s issue CDs and the 'remastering' had just meant they flattened everything.

Rather optimistically I have noticed from stuff we are sent and briefs we are given that the hideous plague of brickwall mastering or maximum loudness at every possible moment seems to be on it's way out and dynamics seem to be making a slow comeback.

They may hold off on announcing the exact track listing until after Roy Harper trials.  ;)

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    edited March 2014
    I think most of this is already out there. I'm interested in the 96khz versions of the studio stuff though - the recent Spotify versions were quite revealing so that bodes well with extra res on the table.

Zep 1 comes with a French radio broadcast live disc which has been in circulation since 2007.. Incredible vocals from Percy on Heartbreaker.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    So, the most exciting and newsworthy development in the music world of today is the release of some 40yo stuff that wasn't good enough to be released 40 years ago.

Presumably, it's matured like some fine wine.

Or today's music is, comparatively, shit.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    I won't argue that today's music is, comparatively shit.

Led Zeppelin though, are still influencing new guitar players.

I'm looking forward to hearing the unreleased stuff myself, just like when the Stones did it with Exile. There's some great tracks on disc 2 of that.
    edited March 2014
    No not all today's music is shit. It's just that Zep are big news. The record co are going al out to hype it cause they know these discs are bankers.
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    How many more times.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Skarloey said:
    No not all today's music is shit. It's just that Zep are big news. The record co are going al out to hype it cause they know these discs are bankers.
    +1

Today's music is not shit, even comparatively - it's just that record companies know that there is a market among the sort of middle-aged people who still buy rock music on CD for material which was not considered good enough for release forty years ago... big difference. Plus the artist development, promotion and recording costs are nil.

Personally, I'd rather the unreleased material was all put on one album and sold separately, rather than having to pay again for three albums I've already got, but there is a painfully obvious reason they won't do that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    I don't agree with the "not good enbough for release" argument.

Back when vinyl ruled there was a limit to how much could be put on an LP. And in the days when bands would release three albums every two years and were progressing musically they wouldn't have wanted to release "old" material.

I'm more aggrieved by CD releases where what might have been enough decent material to fill two sides of an LP gets all sorts of sub-par cack added to it to fill out a CD.
    scrumhalf said:

Only one of them is an actual 'new' track. The rest are either early versions or live stuff. 
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    scrumhalf said:
    Well, by that token they'd have released no albums at all :D
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    edited March 2014
    Not good enough for release doesn't apply all the time because they let a lot of daft stuff through QC (in my view) like The Crunge, Hats off to RH, Dyer Maker (nt so bad but makes me cringe a bit), Hot Dog, and that boring last track off ITTOD.