What you record

What's Hot
Not really aimed at complete bands but just wondering what you people record. Ive always been into live playing and apart from some dodgy demos years ago recorded on some guys reel to reel i havnt felt the urge until now. 
Do you record complete songs, overlaying the various tracks or do you just use it as a means to capture ideas, or as a practice tool to work out and learn solos. Im not really sure what i want to do (not the best way to start).  Apart from a few crappy videos and photos, i think it would be nice to create something tangible of what i do in my spare time.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    All of the above, usually record ideas on to my phone, then (when I get time) work them up in to songs via garageband, usually a couple of guitar parts, a very basic bass line, vocals and a simple drum pattern.

I like that I can record a verse and a chorus, then move them about, when I'm happy with the arrangement, I then play the whole song to the cut and pasted bits (which I then delete).

I can then give them to a bass player and a drummer to figure out much better parts.
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    If its a cover I get a very basic drum part basically the tempo and basic fills. So there is some structure, then a basic guitar part. 

Then build out from there. replacing and reworking or getting mates to chip in on parts where I am rubbish. 

If it an original idea I usually have those on voice recorder on the phone and I tend to load that file into logic and then edit the good bits of an idea and try and make a very rough structure. Sometimes if its just a Riff or a few chords I will just put a click down and Jam about with what I had trying to work it up to a complete song. 

The good thing about digital is you can erase it all in a click HA HA

Not a lot of logic, science or discipline
  • Jason said:
    All of the above, usually record ideas on to my phone, then (when I get time) work them up in to songs via garageband, usually a couple of guitar parts, a very basic bass line, vocals and a simple drum pattern.

I like that I can record a verse and a chorus, then move them about, when I'm happy with the arrangement, I then play the whole song to the cut and pasted bits (which I then delete).

I can then give them to a bass player and a drummer to figure out much better parts.
    never really thought about recording ideas on my phone, like a notebook.Jez6345789 said:
    If its a cover I get a very basic drum part basically the tempo and basic fills. So there is some structure, then a basic guitar part. 

Then build out from there. replacing and reworking or getting mates to chip in on parts where I am rubbish. 

If it an original idea I usually have those on voice recorder on the phone and I tend to load that file into logic and then edit the good bits of an idea and try and make a very rough structure. Sometimes if its just a Riff or a few chords I will just put a click down and Jam about with what I had trying to work it up to a complete song. 

The good thing about digital is you can erase it all in a click HA HA

Not a lot of logic, science or discipline
    i thought i would try a few simple covers, just to get the feel of recording and using tracks, then try and work on my own as yet quite unstructured songs.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I can't claim to have finished anything yet, but I am in the process of trying to record soundtrack music. I'll use it on sideshows I like to create for family albums and holidays etc, sort of personalises things a bit.

For inspiration I listen to scores from dramas and film.

The thing I'm going for at the moment is inspired by HDBA album from 2008. 

• Fuengi said:
    I can't claim to have finished anything yet, but I am in the process of trying to record soundtrack music. I'll use it on sideshows I like to create for family albums and holidays etc, sort of personalises things a bit.

For inspiration I listen to scores from dramas and film.

The thing I'm going for at the moment is inspired by HDBA album from 2008. 

thats a nice idea. i use to be involved with audio visual presentations many years ago, but more on the visual side.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I've always recorded stuff, and when I played in a band we recorded all our rehearsals etc. often when you play something back the following day it doesn't sound half as good as you thought it did.   Judging by the quality of a lot of amateur bands I've seen, not many do this.. 

I'm not a great guitar player and I've always been more interested in the overall sound of a band rather than just concentrating on playing the guitar, so I get a lot of enjoyment from creating my own ensemble especially now I am no longer in a band.  I can play the drums after a fashion and if you can play guitar you can play bass.  I started with on of those Tascam 4 tracks which I still have, but the sky's the limit these days with DAW's and Multi trackers.  Garageband is terrific if you have an ipad. 

I agree that having a go at recreating something relatively simple is the place to start, but it's often surprisingly difficult to reproduce what you think is a straightforward rock & roll tune, such a lot of it is in the "vibe" or the swing, and that's when you begin to realise just how important the drummer is, though it pains me to say it.

As far as composing goes, TBH if you are a half competent musician writing a decent tune is easy, it's the lyrics that are the hard part - until you try and write a song you don't realise how crucial the lyrics are, mind you Bernie Taupin made a decent career out of writing the most godawful lyrics so who knows. 

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    edited January 2018

@midlifecrisis welcome to the world of recording. You do realise that you are now in danger of becoming all consumed by this???

I am no expert, but am a half decent musician, and I've been recording stuff since 1984, when we did our band's first demo on a Tascam portastudio, 4 tracks, bounced to 16 and recorded on a TDK HXPro Chrome 90 cassette. Did we think we were cool or what?!!

I started using the PC in the mid 90s, but tbh I am still very much an amateur and just enjoy tinkering and learning for my own enjoyment. Sometimes it comes out good, a lot of the time its a load of rubbish!

I tend to record whole tracks, well that's the intention. What I have in reality is a folder full of half done projects, some of which are just a riff, some of which are almost whole tracks that I can't seem to finish. Some are complete tracks and then I post them on soundcloud, for no-one to listen to, ha! I am also working right now on a cover, which I', going to sing on, and then see what people think.

I started off recording (on my own) single take guitar stuff - might just be noodles, or perhaps instrumental acoustic versions of Hendrix or Neil Young, covers. Its good to start with covers as you can then focus on getting to grips with the actual process of recording, playing in time. Its surprising how all over the place with timing you can be, when you are used to jamming on your own.

I don't think you should try to set yourself strict rules but just enjoy it. If it becomes a chore, you will stop. Also don't put yourself under pressure and remember that the stuff we listen to is done by pros, and trying to be as good as that is unrealistic, not unless you are super talented!

I can get radged up when stuff doesn't go right, but tbh, its all good fun. DOn't be shy to post your efforts up in here either. There are some talented good people in here who can share lots of knowledge and tips. Despite having posted some shocking tracks over the years, I've yet to have anyone say that something was crap. Instead you get tips on how to improve, which is, for me, great stuff, and I always listen and learn. IMO that critique and feedback you get in here is so valuable as its a good way to learn and get better.

good luck!

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Neill said:
    I've always recorded stuff, and when I played in a band we recorded all our rehearsals etc. often when you play something back the following day it doesn't sound half as good as you thought it did.   Judging by the quality of a lot of amateur bands I've seen, not many do this.. 

I'm not a great guitar player and I've always been more interested in the overall sound of a band rather than just concentrating on playing the guitar, so I get a lot of enjoyment from creating my own ensemble especially now I am no longer in a band.  I can play the drums after a fashion and if you can play guitar you can play bass.  I started with on of those Tascam 4 tracks which I still have, but the sky's the limit these days with DAW's and Multi trackers.  Garageband is terrific if you have an ipad. 

I agree that having a go at recreating something relatively simple is the place to start, but it's often surprisingly difficult to reproduce what you think is a straightforward rock & roll tune, such a lot of it is in the "vibe" or the swing, and that's when you begin to realise just how important the drummer is, though it pains me to say it.

As far as composing goes, TBH if you are a half competent musician writing a decent tune is easy, it's the lyrics that are the hard part - until you try and write a song you don't realise how crucial the lyrics are, mind you Bernie Taupin made a decent career out of writing the most godawful lyrics so who knows. 

Think that is a bit harsh about Mr Taupin seems to have managed to knock out a good few tunes. Lyrics are always touching people in different ways. A guitarist friend of mine hates any song with words thinks they get in the way of a good band.

MR Taupin  gets a star from me for Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and this bit

What do you think you'll do then?
    I bet that'll shoot down your plane
    It'll take you a couple of vodka and tonics
    To set you on your feet again

• thanks for the words of encouragement. Ive got a little zoom H1 recorder which we use for band rehearsals when we can remember to switch it on, and ive been messing around with audacity. this weekend i intend to get stuck in, might get myself a focusrite 212 by then, dont think il have my album out for a few weeks tho :)
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

For recording software, I would suggest Reaper. Its free (but you can pay for lifetime license that isn't a lot of ££) and is a fully featured bit of kit that is easily good enough for beginner and pro alike. Also reasonably easy to use and there are tons of free tutorials and support online.

I'd really recommend you go this route as Reaper will serve you for life, and you would be better off starting form scratch with this, than trying something like Audacity which I guarantee you will outgrow quickly, if you are into the whole recording thing.

• @Snap  ;i did look at reaper but couldnt work it out, maybe il try and find an idiots guide
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Snap said:

For recording software, I would suggest Reaper. Its free (but you can pay for lifetime license that isn't a lot of ££) and is a fully featured bit of kit that is easily good enough for beginner and pro alike. Also reasonably easy to use and there are tons of free tutorials and support online.

I'd really recommend you go this route as Reaper will serve you for life, and you would be better off starting form scratch with this, than trying something like Audacity which I guarantee you will outgrow quickly, if you are into the whole recording thing.

@Snap ;Like you I started off with the wee Tascam I still have it and I was still messing about with it until it broke a few weeks ago.  I even bought up a load of C60 chrome cassettes I think it's just a nostalgia trip tho'.

I've to'd and fro'd between DAW's and multitrackers, my favourite platform was the old Yamaha 4416 and I still think the sound quality beats anything else I've ever heard in what you might call the amateur field.  But it was a swine to learn how to use and you needed to stay "in practice" or you forgot how to work it.  Then I used Cubase and Sonar but because I've been out of the loop for a while I'm only just getting to grips with today's offerings.  I have one of those Zoom 24 track machines at the mo but I suspect I'm going to go back to DAW again - the Zoom comes packaged with the current version of Cubase which I haven't tried yet, I'd be interested if you have an opinion on it compared to something like Reaper?  
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I do all sorts....
    I use Logic Pro X
    with the DC Band, I'll have  projects bouncing back and forth between the bassist and I as we write the songs..
    then at a later time I'll record my guitar parts for real

session work: I'll usually be sent an mp3 without guitars
    I'll add the guitars.. send the client the mp3 with the guitars on to audition..
    once the client is happy I'll send them the WAV files of the guitars

SY3ERIA: I write the songs, record the guitars, get the WAV files of the other band members parts, then mix it

Evolution Media Music: I write, record and produce the movie trailers
    there's not often much actual recording in this work though.. maybe once in a while a piece may need guitars..
    but this stuff is very much mostly hybrid orchestral
    play every note as if it were your first
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    I have been teaching myself over the last 4 years to use a DAW, couldn't even arm a track when I started!

Now i habe to fit music time in between a demanding job and my two kids, although last year we moved into our new house and I finally got my own dedicated room, so when they are a bit more self sufficient, I will have my sanctuary. I aim for recording whole tracks, live guitars and vocals, DI'd bass and BFD3 on drum duties.

They are mainly originals, but I did a few covers last year which was fun. I normally write tracks using my phone voice recorder and an acoustic then move on to tracking, but the latest thing I have done has been written within my DAW using amp sims which I have then re-amped after being happy with the takes.
  • IMC1980 said:
    I have been teaching myself over the last 4 years to use a DAW, couldn't even arm a track when I started!

Now i habe to fit music time in between a demanding job and my two kids, although last year we moved into our new house and I finally got my own dedicated room, so when they are a bit more self sufficient, I will have my sanctuary. I aim for recording whole tracks, live guitars and vocals, DI'd bass and BFD3 on drum duties.

They are mainly originals, but I did a few covers last year which was fun. I normally write tracks using my phone voice recorder and an acoustic then move on to tracking, but the latest thing I have done has been written within my DAW using amp sims which I have then re-amped after being happy with the takes.
    sweet about me great cover
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    IMC1980 said:

sweet about me great cover
    Thanks! Been wanting to do that one for years. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
    My recording is just for the occasional YouTube video. I do instrumental covers of Christian songs, sometimes with a backing track that I've bought, and sometimes with my own backing track where I play everything - drums, keys, bass guitars. I still use Garageband as I love its simplicity. Video I've recently moved to final cut express.

It doesn't happen that often as it takes a lot of setting up for the video, I need to be in the right mood, and I only do it when no-one is in the house (rare with 6 of us!)
  • i think waiting for everyone out the house is a good idea, background noise, family arguing etc
  • I started recording recently and that was the reason I joined this forum. I plan to get involved in the solo and composition challenges to become a better musician. Also due to family life I've scaled back gigging to just a few gigs a year for now and this is a good focus to keep busy.

In order to learn to use Reaper I knocked out a rough attempt at the solo to Enter Sandman making my own backing track from midi drums and bass (until I get around to buying a bass). I then did my first SOTM attempt.

I've now jumped in at the deep end by constructing a German Industrial metal reworking of a song for the composition challenge involving drums, bass, guitars, synths and growling in German which is proving to be a steep learning curve but a fun one. 

I hope to get involved in more of this stuff and expect it to be messed up cross genre covers rather than originals but you never know.
  • axisus said:
    It doesn't happen that often as it takes a lot of setting up for the video, I need to be in the right mood, and I only do it when no-one is in the house (rare with 6 of us!)
    I feel your pain. "Silently" recording with headphones on is fine for most instruments but I hardly get a chance to do vocals unless the kids are asleep and wife is out. I can only imagine what recording real drums in that environment would be like