Speaker simulators / load boxes for recording - two notes, Uaudio, Palmer

What's Hot
darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
I've got a Palmer PDI 03 - which is really good, really useful tool for home recording and can be useful in a live situation (although I've not actually gigged it). 

I'm considering a second unit to act as a load box / speaker emulator for recording, such as the two notes torpedo live rack unit, as this looks great too. Universal Audio have just released the Ox amp top box, which is a different take on this and reading the reviews and some feedback from NAMM, seems another great unit. 

I'd be interested in views and experience on these units, (or others which I should be considering) all have obvious pros and cons, eg: the two notes rack mount is very appealing, as is the palmer, the price of the ox is less appealing but still you have to invest if it's the right thing.

wise words or real hands on experience would be really appreciated. In the end it will come down to a personal trade of for me and my personal needs, but I'd like to get as much info as possible before trying to narrow the facts down to my wants and needs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• susbemolsusbemol Frets: 400
    If you're looking to use it with a recording setup, you could also check out the Suhr reactive load. You would need to feed the unit's output to another device for cabinet simulation - many use it with the Two Notes Torpedo plugin running in a DAW, for example.

This is by far the best sounding setup of this type I've used. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    I have a Two Notes Torpedo live that I bought a while back for the home studio (that sounds more impressive than it actually is!).
    it's a great unit - sounds great with the right IR's and the software is really easy to use and adds a lot of flexibility. You get loads of IR's with the unit and you can also load your own, provided they're in wav format (it won't load Kemper kipr files or Axe FX syx files). My only real complaint it the very basic ins and outs, which are all jack sockets. I would have liked some balanced xlr outs too but that's a minor quibble.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Mooer Radar should be on your...errr.. radar.
  • Jetfire said:
    Mooer Radar should be on your...errr.. radar.
    This, along with a reasonably-priced load box (the Captor's supposed to be good, or the AMT PE-15 if you don't need the high power), will basically give you everything you need bar the pretty interface.
    <space for hire>
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I had the Palmer PGA-04, which was great for a simple, analogue, SM-57 in front of a 4x12 kind of thing.

I recently bought the Torpedo Live and have found it very versatile, with great sound quality. I have it in my desk, connected digitally.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    I'm looking into this kinda thing for silent playing/recording and the Captor seems best bang for buck. Run it with cab sim off into your DAW then use something like NadIR to add the impulse responses. Bit of reverb and you're away.

I've been trying this just with the DI output of my amp and it sounds surprisingly good, should be even better with a proper load box and the power amp getting involved as well. Don't seem to be getting any real latency with my ancient PC either.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    If you want a purely hardware solution, add the Sequis Motherload to the list. Easily the best standalone load box/speaker emulator I've tried. Not that cheap though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    I have a Two Notes Torpedo Reload for sale if anybody is interested. Does the load box / attenuation thing effortlessly, along with reamping so you can play your track and then mess with the EQ/gain/presence etc settings afterwards.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6129
    tFB Trader
    I’ve just got a UA OX amp top box. I REALLY like it. The magic is in the software, the cabs, speakers etc that you can apply to it. I saw them all over namm plugged into amps as a way to test the real amp with a load on headphones. The two rocks were especially good in this setup.

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3983
    ThorpyFX said:
    I’ve just got a UA OX amp top box. I REALLY like it. The magic is in the software, the cabs, speakers etc that you can apply to it. I saw them all over namm plugged into amps as a way to test the real amp with a load on headphones. The two rocks were especially good in this setup.

I'm currently using Suhr reactive load and Ownhammer impulses, would you say the Ox has any advantage over that?
    tFB Trader
    prlgmnr said:
    ThorpyFX said:

I'm currently using Suhr reactive load and Ownhammer impulses, would you say the Ox has any advantage over that?
    I've got no idea truthfully as I've not tried a similar setup. All i know is the OX is simple to use and is all integrated, it doesn't use IR's as they have modelled the cabs, mics and external conditions rather than created an IR platform. The OX also includes several things from UA software such as Reverb, delay, flange, compression etc. its all disable by wifi using software on the mac or iPad.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3983
    I've just seen it's Apple compatible only so that's me out.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    This has been fantastically useful for me in terms of widening the information, The OX is really looking appealing to me, especially with all the positive feedback of the two rocks at NAMM using them, most of my amps are two rock, so it's a pretty positive endorsement, and difference in approach to not using IR's is very very different and interesting. The price jump from the two notes is not huge either. I think thats that's the approach I'm going to take, a little disappointing there isn't a rack mount model as that would make life a little better, but this looks a suitable and different approach from the Palmer, so should give me a wide set of options.

Really appreciate the input and views.
  • Did you get an OX, Matt? I tried Adrian’s at the guitar show and was suitably impressed. Considering going a similar route as I also like the idea of using it live with a direct out to the PA.
  • The OX is just amazing! The attenuator is super good, one of the best i've heard. We set one up today with a Two rock and ran the line out from the ox into a monitor and used it as a wet/dry rig with the delay from the ox going into the monitor and it was tone from the gods! Absolutely huge.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

got the OX ordered, not turned up yet, not going to use it live, already made that decision after the Kemper and Palmer, I just need an "amp" and a mic or it just doesn't work for me. I hope @peachguitarsdotcom aren't using the two rock I've just ordered as a demo unit for the ox ;) @Alexhunter I'll give you a review, or your welcome to come over and give it a real run out, I'm going to book some studio time and try it at a few reasonable size room practice venues.

• @darcym  sounds great, let me know when it arrives and I’ll buy the beer.
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    I’ve been interested in finding something similar then noticed this Mesa Boogie load box and speaker cab simulator in the sale section of Guitar Guitar:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/14070914021416--mesa-boogie-cab-clone-16-ohm

Has anybody tried them?
    tFB Trader
    Duppy03 said:
    I’ve been interested in finding something similar then noticed this Mesa Boogie load box and speaker cab simulator in the sale section of Guitar Guitar:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/14070914021416--mesa-boogie-cab-clone-16-ohm

Has anybody tried them?
    I think they were slated quite heavily on release for sounding terrible. Things may have changed since 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26572
    ThorpyFX said:
    Duppy03 said:

Has anybody tried them?
    I think they were slated quite heavily on release for sounding terrible. Things may have changed since 
    They were, and they haven't ;)
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom