Inflation

What's Hot
Does anyone seriously believe it is less than 10%?
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 32663
    Yes, although it's very uneven so the perception of it may depend what you spend most on.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 425
    edited February 3
    From anyone’s personal point of view, it depends on where you spend most of your money. None of us just go out buying the whole basket of stuff that makes up the official inflation figure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 6256
    edited February 3
    define inflation. Clearly if you include certain items then it's waaaaaay over the RPI

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • danodano Frets: 441
    edited February 3
    Fuel feels like it's 10% higher than this time last year, it was 110p a litre and now about 120p a litre.

Food is up 5 to 10% a year.

The chocolate machine in the work canteen has gone up by 5p on a 65p chocolate bar to 70p with is 7.7%.

formerly imported_dannyboy on MR... before they 'imported' me from the total guitarist forums :-')
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 8974
    And I just bought a 15kg bottle of blue gas for £38. It was £34 just before christmas
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2324
    The pound was previously overvalued, now it's back at it's correct level, inflation is also at the right level.

One of the benefits of taking back control.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Except that everything inflates except my pay packet
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 9436
    mellowsun said:
    The pound was previously overvalued, now it's back at it's correct level, inflation is also at the right level.

The pound hasn't moved. The dollar is tanking because it's been overvalued for the last year and Trump is somehow still in charge. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 4514
    edited February 6
    government figures on such issues are generally manipulated to show the info that suits them - as per many other sets of figures - On guitar prices alone it is well over 10%, yet sales of guitars are so small that it won't even create a blip on the governments figures - Yet if guitar prices have risen based on exchange rates then that will have a similar impact on all imported goods, be it fruit or knickers - What goes into inflation figures has moved on many occassions

It is like the government not telling you what the total outstanding debt is - currently around 1.7 trillion - they prefer to show you it as a % of GDP - to many this is just a set of info that we are not sure how it collates and what it means - Or they just say government borrowing is down/under control - They mean less borrowed this year than before, but it is still 70 million borrowed on top of the 1.7 trillion we already owe

Distorted info to suit their needs
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 1994
    mellowsun said:

Indeed. We now have "sovereign inflation", see how much better and bigger it is than that EU nonsense we had before.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 16926
    Does anyone seriously believe it is less than 10%?
    It depends. The government has a selective list of things it uses to measure inflation. Depending on what you do for a living you could see your costs rising higher than the stated rate of inflation. I know that in my business our third party costs are up over 10 per cent year-on-year. Some of this has been driven by the fall of the pound against the dollar (we have monthly software licences and other items priced in dollars) and some is just good old BT and utility suppliers jacking up their prices.
    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 3194
    These additional costs to pay packets were never mentioned during the referendum? 
    capo4th said:
    These additional costs to pay packets were never mentioned during the referendum? 
    many thinks weren't - I dare say more by incompetence than intent - I'm pretty sure they never expected to 'loose' the vote so little thought process required at the time and now having to 'ad lib' on the run as required
    capo4th said:
    Inflation has been of the order of 10% for many years before that there referendum!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 1496
    capo4th said:
    Inflation has been of the order of 10% for many years before that there referendum!

Thank God for that.

I wouldn't want people to feel responsible for the coming shit storm.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    News tonight
    Leavetards in the Midlands, North West, North East, West and East have may have ducked everyone up.
  • News tonight
    Leavetards in the Midlands, North West, North East, West and East have may have ducked everyone up.
    True dat.

Every single person I work with who voted leave for "borders, sovereignty and taking back control" is now shitting themselves as to what seems to be about to happen. "That's not what I thought I was voting for" is a familiar refrain. "Why didn't anyone explain it?", we did and you stuck your fingers in your ears. So now here we are.

Well, too late baby so suck it up and enjoy the ride you put us on. Let's just see how it goes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • exocetexocet Frets: 554
    News tonight
    True dat.

Every single person I work with who voted leave for "borders, sovereignty and taking back control" is now shitting themselves as to what seems to be about to happen. "That's not what I thought I was voting for" is a familiar refrain. "Why didn't anyone explain it?", we did and you stuck your fingers in your ears. So now here we are.

Well, too late baby so suck it up and enjoy the ride you put us on. Let's just see how it goes...
    I always thought that the auto industry scenario would be a problem. Not sure what “assurances” were given to Nissan a while back but I very much doubt that the government was offering to indemnify against potential losses / increased cost of operation.

Could a “special case” be made in the case of auto industry and aerospace where complex supply chains crossing multiple borders exist or would that be in breach of WTO terms outside of a more comprehensive bilateral agreement between UK and EU? Looks like a lost cause to me.
    We haven't left yet so what's with this "shit storm"? If there is such a thing it's caused by remoaners in the City. FFS how many times does it need to be said that the decision to leave was NOT economic? If you think that economic bribery and scaremongering are all it's about your horizons are obviously limited by ... money!
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    So your list of important things in priority order is something like:-
    1: Sovereignty (and the ability to redefine what it actually means on a daily basis)
    2: Ability to purchase Mis-shapen fruit.
    3: Shelter.
    4: Food.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Items 3 & 4 suggest you bought the bribe/swallowed the scary lie

Don't forget

keep Britain British...like Cheddar Man.

edited February 8
    Items 3 & 4 suggest you bought the bribe/swallowed the scary lie
    No, it's a direct response to this.
    We haven't left yet so what's with this "shit storm"? If there is such a thing it's caused by remoaners in the City. FFS how many times does it need to be said that the decision to leave was NOT economic? If you think that economic bribery and scaremongering are all it's about your horizons are obviously limited by ... money!
    And the fact that "money" "can be exchanged for goods and services", such as "shelter" and "food".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    the bribe is that you will get more/better shelter/food in than you would out
    the scary lie is that you'll get less/worse out than you would in

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 1870
    News tonight
    True dat.

Similarly a good remainer friend of mine can't believe so many voted out, utterly shocked and bewildered and wonders why they did it- well he stuck his fingers in his ears for twenty years too when gripes were explained.

See I can cherry pick too.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    we are quickly moving from inflation to Brexit - however I still have a gut feeling that before it is to late it won't go through - The is no way Mrs May will be in charge of the Conservative party before the next election - A change may well be sooner than later be it 6 months or 12 months away - There is so much in fighting and discussing about what we voted for and what we didn't and Brexit wasn't about this and that - Most MP's didn't want it, neither did many powerful Whitehall Civil Servants etc who are still wanting to influential a final vote on what we approve of in Parliament - Bottom line is sometime down the line I think it will be blocked and the line they will throw to you is 'this is not what you voted for' in the referendum - ie you might have voted for Brexit but you didn't vote for the actual content within Brexit - put it more simply - You voted for the name and cover of the book but you didn't vote for the story within the book
    we are quickly moving from inflation to Brexit
    The remoaners started it ;) wasn't me
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    what is it you use to say to your mum and dad when you started any discipline discussion  ? are but !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes you did

you (invaded Poland) voted leave.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 1870
    we are quickly moving from inflation to Brexit - however I still have a gut feeling that before it is to late it won't go through - The is no way Mrs May will be in charge of the Conservative party before the next election - A change may well be sooner than later be it 6 months or 12 months away - There is so much in fighting and discussing about what we voted for and what we didn't and Brexit wasn't about this and that - Most MP's didn't want it, neither did many powerful Whitehall Civil Servants etc who are still wanting to influential a final vote on what we approve of in Parliament - Bottom line is sometime down the line I think it will be blocked and the line they will throw to you is 'this is not what you voted for' in the referendum - ie you might have voted for Brexit but you didn't vote for the actual content within Brexit - put it more simply - You voted for the name and cover of the book but you didn't vote for the story within the book
    The ballot paper could not be any clearer, remain or leave. It could have said "stay in the tent" or "leave the tent". On your point about what we were not voting for this, or what Brexit means- the same could be said for "remain in the European Union". It's an assumption that it meant the status quo, how the EU28 stood in 2016 would be how it would stand for eternity.  Look how different the EEC became from 1957 until the EU in 2016. Had the referendum not happened could you say, hand on heart what the EU would be in 2057? It could have been the United States of Europe or perhaps the EUSR which would be closer.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/07/martin-schulz-united-states-of-europe-germany-sdp

“the anti-Europeans want to hum Land of Hope and Glory as they nuke the British economy.”

In what respect do you think that quote is meant?  To save you chucking the quote into google it was a quote from 2003 about joining the Euro.