Guitar through Bluetooth Speaker?

What's Hot
JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8792
edited February 2018 in Amps
Ladies and djentlemen: greetings.

So here's a poser.  I've just scored one of the newish Fender bluetooth speaker jobbies in a lucky eBay swoop.  While I'll be using it in the main to play music from my phone, my mind then started turning to whether it could be used as an impromptu guitar speaker.  Bit of googling later and I'm none the wiser, albeit slightly baffled by talk of some arcane lore of 'latency'.

Anyone know whether there's some sort of dangly bit you can wang into the jack socket of your guitar that will let you project straight from there and into the bluetooth speaker?  It seems such an obvious thing to be able to do...
Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    edited February 2018

Blackstar do a gismo that goes the other way, Bluetooth into an amp so I bet somebody does what you need. Will have a look.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Transmitter-Universal-Headphones-transmitter/dp/B076LGQS2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517676216&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+transmitter+Bluetooth

I am sure that ^ could be made to work but, input Z is likely 10k and a guitar will sound ***t. You could drive it from a buffered pedal.  Not a lot of money to try?

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8792
    ecc83 said:
    Blackstar do a gismo that goes the other way, Bluetooth into an amp so I bet somebody does what you need. Will have a look.
    Yeah that's the first thing I found when I was Googling, and thought 'yippee', until I actually read the blurb and realised it was the opposite to what I'm after. 

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    I’ve  been unable to Bluetooth using iRig and GarageBand, but I just use a 3.5mm jack to jack from my iPhone / iPad to speaker. Not Bluetooth sadly. 
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I believe latency over Bluetooth can be quite high. That may or may be an issue for you.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    I’ve tried playing a guitar into a speaker via bluetooth and the latency made it impossible. If your speaker has an aux input then you could plug your guitar in to that input to avoid latency, but you’ll likely need to go through a different amp in order to get it to sound any good.

In short, it’s a bit of a non-starter.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

Ah! Yes, latency. I had forgotten about that. There is more than one BTh audio protocol I shall see if I can find and more dope on the subject.

Just remembered, whilst searching for BTh  'guitar transmitter' I came across a 2 piece jack guitar wireless T/R kit, maybe they are not BTh though?

'Oil be beck!

Dave.

• ecc83 said:

Ah! Yes, latency. I had forgotten about that. There is more than one BTh audio protocol I shall see if I can find and more dope on the subject.

Just remembered, whilst searching for BTh  'guitar transmitter' I came across a 2 piece jack guitar wireless T/R kit, maybe they are not BTh though?

'Oil be beck!

Dave.

Yep, Bluetooth latency is around 200-250ms. Not terrible if you're listening to music, or even having a conversation with someone, but try to watch a video without OS compensation and the lag will be very noticeable. Playing guitar through it is a non-starter, as far as I know.
    <space for hire>
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8792
    This 'latency' smacks of sorcerors' work. The Forces of Evil preventing me from playing funk-rock licks through my Fender bluetooth speaker :(
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    It looks like they have Aux inputs, so what you would need is a 'preamp' pedal - like the Boss/Fender FDR-1 Deluxe Reverb for example, or some sort of Sansamp - and a 1/4" to 3.5mm cable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein