Roland Jazz Chorus - new vs old

What's Hot
So I've never owned a JC and am thinking of picking one up secondhand.

I know the new ones have updated the effects a bit, but are there any other major differences in how they're built?

I'm a little bit worried after reading the lack of Roland support on the blues cube thread that if I buy a newer one I could be left with an expensive brick!

@icbm I think you've worked on the older ones so would appreciate any things to look out for when testing

Thanks!!
Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    Not 100% sure on this, and ICBM will definitely know, but I thought the differences lay with the speakers between the old and new. One fared better than the other.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    The old ones are very reliable, but failures aren’t totally unknown, so make sure it all works properly. Blown or replaced speakers are probably more common than amp problems. Really old ones may need electrolytic caps replacing now, but apart from that they basically just keep working unless a transistor fails, which is rare and unpredictable. Like all solid-state amps this can cause ‘cascade’ failures and a fair amount of damage.

I haven’t seen inside a recent one so I don’t know if the design has been changed - it’s possible, since there are several different versions of the originals.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks icbm I see there’s a jc 160 in Glasgow at the moment but that’s probably a bit too much amp for me
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    I don't think you will have any problem getting an older JC repaired or serviced, they are pretty bomb proof (amp wise) and easy to work on. As per IC I haven't had a later one on the bench so difficult to comment, but I do agree the recent Blues Cube thread was a bit of a horror story! 
  • I have in the past read stuff with people who are keen JC120 users and they say they can hear differences between different periods. I don’t know if some of that’s about ageing speakers and components, Roland swapping out suppliers/ components over time or major redesigns. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Cool. Sounds like a well looked after older model  will be the way to go.

As this will be my first JC I’m not too worried about the difference between older variants, but I would like to own one that is serviceable.

Anybody near London got a nice old JC feel free to hit me up!
  • Hi.....I’ve a few over the years....the best IMO was the late 70’s model....made in Japan....although the patch facilities on the back are quite limited. The Roland speakers look quite insubstantial but are in fact very good. Chorus is the best. Distortion is a bit of a joke but I used to use it as a lead boost and only take the level as far as possible without distorting.

the next one I bought some years later was made in Italy.....better patch facilities. I think the cab was made of some sort of composite substance. Originals were ply I think. The Italian model seemed lacking in volume to me once the band were at full tilt.....didn’t keep it long. 

I have tried  the very latest model, comprehensive patch facilities, cab probably composite, not used one live so hard to say...

personally I would look round for well looked after 70’s model and pay the money...

cheers, Paul 
    I have in the past read stuff with people who are keen JC120 users and they say they can hear differences between different periods. I don’t know if some of that’s about ageing speakers and components, Roland swapping out suppliers/ components over time or major redesigns. 
    All of those things. They've been built in at least four different countries with different circuit designs, speakers, other components, and cabinet materials.

There are even huge differences in the weight. Some are moderately heavy but manageable, others seem to weigh as much as a house...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    Is the JC160 the 4x10 one (is that how it comes anyway) and they're not very common?  If it is one of those, this was my default hire amp in the 90s when a backline was brought in. It belonged to the head of the hire company and he was happy for it to go out and be used but he just wouldn't sell it to me or any other bugger.

JC120s are sweet but this model is something else and the cleans are just excellent, offering up a fuller version, if you will, of the 120, that just worked a treat and took my pedals really well. 

One of the best SS amps I've ever played through and one of the most satisfying and percussive clean amps I've plugged into. As to the distortion, the general consensus is that there's nothing to write home about there but some may like it.
    Yes, the JC-160 is a 4x10" version of the 120. Despite the name I'm pretty sure the amp section is identical, not more powerful.

The distortion on the 120 is usable if you really try, but unfortunately needs very different EQ settings from the best clean sound, so you can't really use it for both with the footswitch, and I don't know anyone who would want to use it all the time!

• Yeah, it's the clean sounds and as a pedal or preamp platform that I'm interested in one.

I will be open minded about the distortion but my hopes aren't high for that.

It might come as a pleasant surprise!

I see lots of fans of the jc 160 but I don't know, it would be nice to have the option of leaving the house with my amp!

I can also hear my wife's voice in my head now:

"What. The. Fuck. Is. THAT!!!!"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The only solution to THAT problem is a JC-22 :).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m pretty sure they changed the distortion on the JC40 to something more usual/ conventional/ ordinary although I don’t know if they’ve done that on the new JC120s. 

If you get one with an FX loop apparently if you put pre amp/ amp in a box type pedals in there you can make the JC quite versatile. Although when you can sound like The Police, The Beat, The Bhundu Boys, The Cult, The Cure...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Yep, all great tones and I may find I don't bother with anything but the amp...it's the JC sound I want to get into so there may be little point in trying to fight the amps character with other stuff.
  • ab2017ab2017 Frets: 20
    Might be selling my late 70's jc120 soon just gotta work out the current market value.