Vitoos Iso4 Plus - new PSU option?

What's Hot
UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
edited February 2018 in FX
If you take this spec at face value there's a a new boy in town:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/VITOOS-ISO4PLUS-Guitar-Effects-Power-Supply-8-Isolated-DC-9V-Outputs-Blue-H2N2/282788957917?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282788957917&rvr_id=0&ul_noapp=true

Cant find any mentions of it anywhere so assume its new to the market. At that price I've taken a punt, obviously I'll report back. IveI got at least one pedal that whines hideously if not isolated so should be easy to test.

Also I saw that Thomann have a new Harley Benton PSU - the "pro-1" which looks identical to this only in a black enclosure. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That looks cool. So, more like a power conditioner/distributer than a power supply? As it needs a 12v input. Clever way of being really quiet. And cheap. Very interested in how you get on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    edited February 2018
    Looks interesting but I wish that the outputs would have been on one side only as it makes it a lot neater to install under a Pedaltrain etc 
  • Looks a lot like the mxr isobrick
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    What do they mean by isolated ? each output on it's own regulator cos that's not really isolated .... they will be immune to voltage sag but will still share grounds and thus ground loops 

To be proper isolated it needs to be AC fed and each output needs to be fed from it's own transformer tap. Then the grounds aren't common and there's only a single common ground in the patch cables. 

The fact that thing takes 12V DC makes me suspect it's just a box with 8 x 7809 regulators in it which is something pretty cheap to build and not isolated in terms of grounds, only isolated in terms of voltage regulation
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought that too Danny but on the Dc8 Vitoos are quite open that some of the channels share a ground whereas they don't say that here.

If it's not true I'll send it back. However I remain hopeful! 
  • Arrived today.

First of all: seems like a quality piece of kit. Even the packaging is a step up from the usual cheap Chinese gear. 

Tested it out on my board tonight. My two digital pedals that hate being daisy chained were absolutely fine running on this, and my Boss PH-2, which doesn't work *unless* its daisy chained also failed to work so these things combine to tell me that if its not *truly* isolated its at least close enough for my purposes.

The one downside is having all the outputs on two sides as pointed out above. However for my home-use purposes its not an issue at all. 
  • Worth a punt at the price. Will try a line6 M5 on it which I find unusable daisy chained.
    Very few supplies around with 500ma on each output at this sort of price
  • Danny1969 said:
    What do they mean by isolated ? each output on it's own regulator cos that's not really isolated .... they will be immune to voltage sag but will still share grounds and thus ground loops 

To be proper isolated it needs to be AC fed and each output needs to be fed from it's own transformer tap. Then the grounds aren't common and there's only a single common ground in the patch cables. 

The fact that thing takes 12V DC makes me suspect it's just a box with 8 x 7809 regulators in it which is something pretty cheap to build and not isolated in terms of grounds, only isolated in terms of voltage regulation
    I had a Vitoos DC8 - also powered by a 12V brick - and the isolation was indeed "proper", no common grounds anywhere. Don't know how they did it, but there was no continuity between any of the rails and thus no ground loops, which were a nightmare in my pedalboard; also, it managed to power my Eventide Time Factor without any issues, and that damn pedal refused to coexist with any others with a common ground.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This arrived today.
    Amazing.
    Well packaged, solid build quality.
    It is currently powering an
    M9
    M5
    MS50G
    Mooer Ocean machine
    decibel eleven switch dr
    and 3 other pedals off of a gigrig isolator plugged into one of the outputs.
    Astounding

No noise
  • Is there one with kettle lead in?
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2193

I’m generally running one high current (Strymon) pedal plus several low current dirt pedals.  A boss type psu / daisy chain won’t give enough juice and voodoo lab is overkill.

This could be the perfect solution, ……   

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Arrived today.

First of all: seems like a quality piece of kit. Even the packaging is a step up from the usual cheap Chinese gear. 

Tested it out on my board tonight. My two digital pedals that hate being daisy chained were absolutely fine running on this, and my Boss PH-2, which doesn't work *unless* its daisy chained also failed to work so these things combine to tell me that if its not *truly* isolated its at least close enough for my purposes.

The one downside is having all the outputs on two sides as pointed out above. However for my home-use purposes its not an issue at all. 

Is this the DC8, @unclepsychosis ?

I'm tempted by one for powering a couple of bits in my rack that are currently on their own PSUs.

are the two high output ports isolated? as I'd be putting a smooth hound and digitech drop on them, both of which could do with clean power.

not so worried on the lower voltages as that'll just be tuner, drive and maybe a ditto.

• No, I bought the ISO4PLUS model as per the OP. 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    No, I bought the ISO4PLUS model as per the OP. 
    no worries, misread your post :)
  • sgosden said:
    Arrived today.

Is this the DC8, @unclepsychosis ?

I'm tempted by one for powering a couple of bits in my rack that are currently on their own PSUs.

are the two high output ports isolated? as I'd be putting a smooth hound and digitech drop on them, both of which could do with clean power.

not so worried on the lower voltages as that'll just be tuner, drive and maybe a ditto.

I had the DC8 (two of them, actually) when I was running pedals, and I'll say that my impression of it was the same as @UnclePsychosis for the ISO4PLUS - and yes, the two high-output ports are isolated from all else (and each other).
    <space for hire>
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
    edited March 2018
    Had my DC-8 for a while now, fantastic bit of kit for the price - I'd heard mixed things about what exactly is isolated, but I've had no noise using it to power the analog, low current pedals on my board. Really well built as well.

I'd be tempted by the Iso4 as well, albeit the outputs being on both sides is a minor annoyance.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2193
    Just ordered the IOSO4PLUS.  At £30 only £5 more than a BOSS PSA.  
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 322
    Any idea if these'll fit under a Pedaltrain Metro 16? With a little jiggling and a slight raise to the feet I have a Fueltank JR under there, but could really do with a second PSU.
  • If a fuel tank junior fits should be no problem. You'll need somewhere to stash the 12v power adapter though
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 322
    That is ok. I have a 1Spot style adapter powering half the board anyway, so this would replace that and the 12v adapter would be fine.