Screwdriver through speaker cone

What's Hot
ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
Gutted. While tightening up a new Emenance Alessandro speaker the screwdriver slipped and went right though about 2 inches from the outer rim. The hole is about 1cm. 

Is it fixable, or bin it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Fixable.

You need some white PVA (standard woodworker's glue), a little water, and some thick tissue paper (kitchen roll is ideal) or a small piece of black artist's paper if you want to make it less visible.

First press the damage back so it's as close to flat and closed up as possible - it's likely that all the material is still there.

Tear - not cut - a patch out of the kitchen roll so it's the same shape as the hole and about 1-2cm bigger in every direction.

Then dilute the PVA to about 50%, soak the patch in it, and stick it on the cone - the back is usually better if you can get at it past the frame, although that may not be the case if you punctured it near one of the bolt holes. Rub the edges to 'blend' it into the cone, and add a little more glue if necessary.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    I remember  a few years ago when the end of a curtain pole went straight  into my tannoy mercury m1 speaker cone. Managed to repair it using pva glue. Still sounds great but looks like shit. Mind you the damage area was massive. Now i just keep the grill covers on
  • Damn it @ICBM is there anything guitar and amp related that you can't repair?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Damn it @ICBM is there anything guitar and amp related that you can't repair?
    Lots! Actually a lot of modern stuff...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM Many thanks, again you've come to the rescue!
  • Congratulations, you have just invented “distortion”.

Oh, wait...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    People used to do that and slash their speakers with razor blades to get those vintage fuzz sounds.
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Sassafras said:
    People used to do that and slash their speakers with razor blades to get those vintage fuzz sounds.
    Is that the sound of the slash signature fuzz pedal?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Guess I won't actually know when I repair it if it sounds as it should because I've never used that speaker with my amp. Hmmmm....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    edited February 2018
    Ouch! - the times  I have 'seen this coming' when swapping a speaker...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    And I was so aware that this might happen when changing them over, being extra careful. It was the last bolt - mind must have just wandered for a second or two  :/
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    A straightforward puncture in the cone is a lot less serious than a tear or rip, so if you do as per ICs instructions all will be fine. 
    Zoolooter said:
    Guess I won't actually know when I repair it if it sounds as it should because I've never used that speaker with my amp. Hmmmm....
    If the hole is where you're describing it probably won't have affected the sound much, if at all. It's usually more of an issue if it's close to the edge surround.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I like a rubber based glue such are Copydex for this sort of repair.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    jpfamps said:

Is this really the place to mention a liking for rubber products?

Dave.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    edited February 2018
    jpfamps said:

Is this really the place to mention a liking for rubber products?  Heh! Sorry, CNR.

FYI PVA glue was the only product TV mnfctrs approved for fire risk. We used it to quieten singing (15kHz) ferrite inductors. Would have thought epoxy but no.

Dave.

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    I think both PVA and Copydex are on the right lines for speaker repairs, they are not too rigid and allow a bit of flex, unlike say epoxy or contact adhesive.  
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I've used the rubber glue in cycle repair kits before. The flexibility might be important, but avoid adding too much weight/mass to unbalance the cone. ICBMs method seems sound.