Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boosts for a Plexi style amp

What's Hot
I've got a 50w Plexi style amp. It's got a master volume so I am able to set the amp with a basic classic just breaking up sound with a Les Paul. I have got a Thorpy Gunshot which is great at giving a solid rock sound with the amp set like this. What I'm after is a pedal to just give a little push to the just breaking up sound, particularly when using my tele or junior which don't push the amp as hard as the Les Paul.

Any recommendations?

I remember a few people saying klon style pedals worked well into Plexi type amps? I used to have a Fredric Effects zombie Klone which was great, but that was before I had this amp.

There is also one of the old one knob MXR micro amps for sale on Facebook, would that be any good?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Distortion+ or SD1

SD-1 is particularly good with plexi style amps 
  • timmysoft said:

It's also good with AC30s :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • timmysoft said:
    Distortion+ or SD1

I have heard they work well as a lead boost, do they work nicely as a more subtle boost to just push an edge of break up sound into say an AC/DC style level of gain? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    For what you want if you want to just push the amp slightly harder, MXR Micro Amp. It has a flatter frequency response than the SD-1 and doesn't add the same sort of 'harmonic sensitivity' which is what makes the SD-1 so great as a lead pedal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Hmmmm, I'm tempted to try the SD-1. I'm using a Thorpy peacekeeper as my 'lead' pedal at the moment as it have a very powerful 3 band eq and plenty of output so you can set it to get a good amount of 'cut' for solos. The SD-1 seems to be tried and tested in this job though so I could use that as my 'lead' pedal and re set the peacekeeper as more of a light boost.

Second hand SD1s seem pretty cheap too to try one out 
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    When you say "push" do you mean in volume, gain or both ? Helps to understand what you're trying to achieve...be a bit louder for say a solo being heard above the band, or change tonality for effect...
  • Schmo said:
    When you say "push" do you mean in volume, gain or both ? Helps to understand what you're trying to achieve...be a bit louder for say a solo being heard above the band, or change tonality for effect...
    Just looking to drive the amp a little harder. Not looking for a significant lift in volume or overdrive just a bit of a 'more' button. For example my Les paul pushes the amp into breakup but my tele doesn't so I'm looking for a pedal to push the amp a bit to et a bit of break up with my tele without having to adjust the amp between guitars. I can also use it to give a bit more power to single note riffs etc
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I,ve got a couple of Plexi type amps set up for a crunch tone and have just brought a tc spark boost which is perfect for pushing them a little harder without changing the basic tone.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster works pretty well for that.
    As do most clean boosts.
  • My JTM 45 likes a Klon. Or go oldschool and try a Rangemaster. I built one with variable frequency response which makes it more versatile. Both sound good with my Les Paul Special (you mentioned a Junior). 
  • A Boss BD-2 Blues Driver can be used for a bit of "clean" push.  So can some eq pedals, with the added benefit of tweaking eq if you wish.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Tubescreamer?
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    Second hand SD1s seem pretty cheap too to try one out 
    Mine was only £39 new. I like it, use it all the time, and don’t feel I’d gain an awful lot by dropping another ton or so on something posher. 

But yeah, it does have a mid-honk so not a clean boost as such. 
  • eq pedal is safest way to do this imho - unless you know exactly how amp will react with any particular boost pedals frequency profile - not all are flat by any means .. 

• Graphic EQ, unless you want extra gain from the pedal itself.
  • TC Mini Spark if you just want a little more or a B.B. Preamp if you want some flexibility and extra gain on tap
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    Schmo said:
    Just looking to drive the amp a little harder. Not looking for a significant lift in volume or overdrive just a bit of a 'more' button. For example my Les paul pushes the amp into breakup but my tele doesn't so I'm looking for a pedal to push the amp a bit to et a bit of break up with my tele without having to adjust the amp between guitars. I can also use it to give a bit more power to single note riffs etc

Cool, my interpretation then is "both" but not too significantly from what you describe.

We all have our favourites, so you'll get many answers.

Perhaps a straightforward EQ (Boss/MXR) would suffice, failing that a mild boost/OD (Tubescreamer type/Klon etc). Also a compressor pedal can give you that "more" thing, though I'm not keen using with gain tones.

You could experiment with any OD/Distortion, by backing off the gain, pushing the volume and shaping any EQ available.

FWIW, having been down that rabbit-hole, I've settled on the Timmy/Nobels ODR-1/XTS Pegasus Boost & Precision Multidrive for that kinda thing....

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    I'd go for something like a Timmy or Klon which can be completely flat and transparent if needs be but I've found it sometimes useful to have a bit of eq control as in my experience a flat boost such as LPB1 can make the bass farty and compressed if you push it too far.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Tested these on vintage 100 watt plexis and was very impressed: ryra Klone. Vs effects jimiblack (I hear red is best and cheaper). 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16090
    Tumnus....puts a bit of bass back in or Plexis can get treble fizzy