Attenuator Connection Question

asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
I am considering a Two Notes Captor but the speaker lead in the back of my AC30HW2X is
not long enough.

Is it ok to use a 1/4" in line joiner to connect my speaker cable to the amp.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I hope so as that's what I've been doing with my combo that has a tiny length of speaker lead.

Using it with a Captor too...very happy with it.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    edited February 2018
    Yes, as long as you're not going to bypass the attenuator.

The typical type of these are not suitable for a normal speaker connection because they won't handle the full current and are not reliable - and if they fail, the amp is then left with no load.

But between the attenuator and the speaker, this isn't an issue because the amp sees the attenuator as the load, as long as the atttenuator is engaged - if the connection between the attenuator and the speaker fails all that happens is that it goes silent.

There is only one type I would trust for a normal speaker connection, which is the Neutrik locking one:

https://www.gear4music.com/Books-DVD-and-Sheet-Music/Neutrik-NA3JJ-635mm-Stereo-Locking-Female-Jack-Coupler/NS8

So if you haven't got one already - and the price doesn't scare you! - I would get one of those anyway since you don't need to worry about bypassing the attenuator.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

asimmd said:

"Note: not recommended for use with speaker cables."

But if you make sure you never set the attenuator to bypass it will be fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    Thanks ICBM I think considering the price of the amp
    i will get the Neutrik.

What impedance will I set the Captor to considering the Amp as it stands is set at 16ohms.

asimmd said:

What impedance will I set the Captor to considering the Amp as it stands is set at 16ohms.
    16 ohms.

If possible you should always match the attenuator to the amp.

Thanks last question
    I know I need to use a speaker cable from the amp to the Captor but do I need a speaker cable to connect the Captor back to the speakers in the amp.

asimmd said:

I know I need to use a speaker cable from the amp to the Captor but do I need a speaker cable to connect the Captor back to the speakers in the amp.
    Ideally, yes. In practice if the final volume from the speakers is low then it won't matter, especially with an impedance as high as 16 ohms.

Thank you ICBM
    Glad you are there.