Cab wiring question.....

What's Hot
stedsted Frets: 259
As I am useless with this stuff!

I have a cab with 2 x G12K100 celestions, used it for years and it's always sounded great.

Looking on the Celestion site they only seem available in 8ohm versions so safe to assume they are indeed 8 ohm (I'm such a detective).

The cab is currently rated at 4 ohm, how that is achieved I don't know, (it's a Matamp cab built for me by Geoff whilst I made tea incidentally, very good quality)

I'm hoping it could be rewired to be an 8 ohm cab, is this doable? If so, who does this stuff? Amp techs I assume?

Cheers very much you lovely bunch.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    No, but it could be rewired to 16 ohms if that’s useful. Currently the speakers will be in parallel - they need to be in series.

If the wires are attached to them with push-connectors, you can do it yourself. If they’re soldered on you will need someone who can, assuming you can’t! It should be only a 5 minute job assuming the back of the cab comes off easily.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    I'm no tech but it can only be wired for 4ohm or 16ohm using two 8 ohm speakers.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

If push on tabs  THERE IS A HOLE in each tag that releases it, push in a spike or a very wee jewellers driver.

Just main force could rip the pigtails out of the cones.  Celestion push conns are 5mm, not the more common 6mm. Maplin do them and you can make up new leads with a pair of pliers or a wee vice if you don't want to buy a crimp tool for a one off job.

Dave.

• stedsted Frets: 259
    Cheers all, guess I'll have a re-think then!