Jettenuator Question

What's Hot
asimmdasimmd Frets: 115

This seems to be a popular Attenuator so if anyone has one I would be interested

in what your thoughts are on it please.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31574
    It sounds fine on all the 20w EL84-based amps I've tried mine with, and it's excellent with my Tweed Champ at home volumes. 

The mic sim out sounds good but needs careful gain structure matching to avoid noise.

My only dislike is that it drops your volume by 3 decibels as soon as you plug it in, which can be very annoying depending on the use you want to put it to. 

All I would add is that although it says 100w on it, I don't believe it frankly, and wouldn't use it to heavily attenuate an amp of more than around 60w. 
  • I've had one for a couple of years now.

I think its great.

Used on Jet City JCA22H (20W) and Blackheart HD (15W).  Both are EL84 equipped and both sound very good with it.

I have found the sweet spot with the Jetenuator is not to have volumes on max but around 5 - 5.5

Recording via Mic Sim has also proved to be good.

I love it.

Ta
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    It's not the valve type that matters, it's that the Jettenuator is purely resistive, which usually seems to work best with amps that have no negative feedback, like the AC30 and *some* (but very far from all) other EL84 amps - and other non-EL84 amps like the Fender 5E3 Deluxe.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    That's great
    As you probably guessed it is for use with my new AC30 HW2x.

I was just a bit concerned about the treble loss when
    using the Jettenuator but if it can easily be made up
    using the amp controls it should not be a problem.

Thanks
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I have one. I use it with my badcat hotcat r30 from time to time. That amp is an el34 powered amp.
    It's definitely one of the better attenuators I've used. Stays fairly transparent. Although you do loose some treble response like all attenuators do. My old badcat unleash v2 was better with that amp. But that was silly money. But I try not to use them at all if I can. 
    The line out is a useful feature though as you can plug straight to a desk with it and still have the attenuated sound going to your speaker cab. That works well.
  • I record with it as a dummy load on my amp and it sounds decent enough, line out through speaker simulations (I didn't like the on board one but would be fine in a backup situation).

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    edited February 2018
    Thanks guys
    Great tracks and the guitar sounds fine?

• ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    I use one, have used it with a bunch of amps including Fuch's 4 aces, VHT special 6 Ultra, Egnator Tweaker - so all low wattage amps, but it works great at getting the sweet spot at low volume. Now it sits as a speaker load in the tweaker (no speaker connected) into my DAW with a cab response for recording and it sounds fantastic. I can record silently or very low monitor volume. Once you get the right speaker response (they make a HUGE difference) then its fantastic for recording IMHO. 
    I ran it down to very low volume with the FUCH's which was way too loud without it, and it really didn't suck much tone. Wish I had bought an attenuator 20 years ago but the nay sayers always put me off. One of the best guitar related bits of kit I have purchased, and cheap and cheerful.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31574
    Exorcist said:
     One of the best guitar related bits of kit I have purchased, and cheap and cheerful.

They are just really handy things to have around. I often hook mine up to test amps I've modded, so I can push them really hard without deafening the neighbours. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom