Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Stryman Flint - any thoughts?

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
edited February 2018 in FX
Toying with the idea of buying a Stryman Flint. Currently have a EHX Pulsar and Boss RV-6 on the board which it would replace. 

Anyone got some thoughts you can share? 

From the reviews I've seen, most people seem to like two or three of the settings, not sure that's enough for the cost though.... 

I use reverb all the time, tremolo occasionally. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    I really like the pedal, the problem I have, I don't want the reverb, so it makes it a waste of a pedal, if they just did the trem on it's own for a fair price, I'd buy it in a heart beat. I suspect you'd probably want the other side of the pedal.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2208
    edited February 2018
    I'm a card-carrying Strymon fan, so you'll only hear positives from me.

Three lovely, diverse reverb sounds, can get you a fair range from realistic spaces to otherworldly (on 80s rack hall mode), and the tremolos are great, especially harmonic mode. 

Recommended very highly.
  • I have the BigSky, SlueSky and quite a few nice trem pedals (Chase Bliss, Empress, Basic Audio etc). The Flint is the one pedal that always makes it in to my board - the harmonic trem is worth the cost alone and the other terms (choppy and sine wave) nail all other standard territory. Most importantly they always seem to sound great in any mix - through any room, amp or guitar etc and any genre of music I’m doing (I find I have some days where I’m really digging the Chase Bliss Gravitas and others where it’s really not doing it for me).
        The reverb is great too - it’s not as complicated as some other Strymon reverbs with modulation etc, but it’s three very musical styles and you can go from subtle to extreme. Sometimes I like to turn the mix high and the decay really low/quick for really cool dub/reggae sounds. Otherwise I’m using it for more subtle reverbs, but it’s also does the huge London Grammar/ambient thing very well too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    Love mine!

I use the spring reverb and harmonic trem settings almost all the time into my tweed super.

The other modes give me options for other sounds, but, Ive not fully explored those yet and I've had the pedal a few years now!
  • bean7bean7 Frets: 44
    I recently consolidated a Zvex Sonar & Recovery effects spring reverb (rather large pedal with actual springs inside) with a Flint, to see if I could get away with less pedals to do effectively the same thing I usually do musically. Really liking it so far - the reverb is superb, I was surprised how versatile it can be. The tremolo is decent, less impressive (the Sonar was really cool) - it doesn't have a wide range of speed as I'm used to with dedicated units but is definitely good enough to really enjoy the pedal overall.
  • OakieOakie Frets: 4
    Had mine for about 5 years now and not left my board in that time.  Its a pedal that just sounds good.  There are no doubt better reverbs for more effected sounds.  No doubt analogue trems that sound warmer,  but if you want a pedal that does classic sounds well all the time this is it.  Never used the spring or 60's trem that much, although they do sound cool. Also the ability to have a preset and lots of hidden controls add to it's versatility. All in all a modern classic!!
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    darcym said:
    I really like the pedal, the problem I have, I don't want the reverb, so it makes it a waste of a pedal, if they just did the trem on it's own for a fair price, I'd buy it in a heart beat. I suspect you'd probably want the other side of the pedal.

That, sir, is a Source Audio Vertigo 

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited February 2018
    Love the Flint. 
    It's never left the board since I got it.
    I have it on all the time, preferring to dial in more or less trem/verb via the knobs, and what makes it a brilliant pedal is that it's so stage friendly --
    I don't like menus and the Flint has a perfect see-at-a-glance that corresponds exactly with what you're hearing.

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    IMO doesn't sound as good as two high quality, separate pedals. Too digital sounding for me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have it - the trem is great in all 3 modes. I'm not blown away by the spring reverb mode - not enough 'drip' maybe? To be honest I probably need to spend a bit of time tweaking. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    Lebarque said:
    IMO doesn't sound as good as two high quality, separate pedals. Too digital sounding for me.
    Yep... Although it’s great I didn’t really love the Reverb side as much as the Trem. The Benado unit I had was fantastic but was too large. 
    I would have one again in a heartbeat though (and have owned several) 
    It does sound a bit digital and I’ve found more organic Reverbs. Best bet is to try one and flip it on here as I doubt you’ll lose money if you don’t buy new.  :)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    I guess it depends what you want. I love the Flint, I hate shimmer and most of the more effected type sounds. There's a surprising (to me) amount of versatility in it with the controls it has. Trem is great. I just wish the rate and depth could go slower - you'd have a modulation effect right there with the harmonic trem.
  • “Too digital sounding?” - tremolo is largely volume increase and decrease. As for the reverb Strymon were one of the first to implement analog dry signal paths - your tone shouldn’t change at all when using the reverb side. :)

Handy tip for when you don’t need the tremolo effect = set the intensity knob on the tremolo side all the way off. Now engage the tremolo side for a low frequency cut. Your parts will cut through the band mix more; great for clean funk rhythm as well as making distorted parts less muddy.
  • Love the Flint. I stupidly sold my first one, and instantly regretted it.

Bought another one recently and it's never been off my board since! I really like all the settings on both sides. I never wanted a complicated reverb or tremolo pedal, so this is perfect for my needs

• I also found it a bit digital sounding. The trem is good but I only found one of the reverb settings useable for what I play. The reason I wanted one was the smaller footprint in having two effects in one unit but I found I get as good as, if not better, results from an EHX Holy Grail and Mooer Trelicopter at a fraction of the price.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027

Handy tip for when you don’t need the tremolo effect = set the intensity knob on the tremolo side all the way off. Now engage the tremolo side for a low frequency cut. Your parts will cut through the band mix more; great for clean funk rhythm as well as making distorted parts less muddy.
    Makes sense -- I always have the tremolo engaged but, as you've said, turned the effect right down or off.  I'd noticed the way the guitar sounded clearer but assumed it was a volume increase from that side of the Flint but a low cut makes a lot of sense for what I'm hearing.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    You could always look at a mobius if you weren't bothered about reverb. Similarish money and can do all your modulation desires..  
  • I have one to save space, but I prefered my empress / rv5 combo. The flint is just a bit dull.
  • I absolutely love the Flint. It's remained with me when nearly every other pedal has moved on over the last 4 years. If I could only have one pedal for the rest of my life it would be the flint!
  • Grunfeld said:

Makes sense -- I always have the tremolo engaged but, as you've said, turned the effect right down or off.  I'd noticed the way the guitar sounded clearer but assumed it was a volume increase from that side of the Flint but a low cut makes a lot of sense for what I'm hearing.
    Tried this last night - it works!! Thanks for this tip.