Any opinions on: Morgan MVP23, Milkman 1/2 Pint, Tone King Gremlin?

What's Hot
Hi all,

Following on from my last amp thread for low volume / apartment amps, I’ve now decided to save up and go boutique.

I’d be very interested to hear thoughts on following 3 amps, which unfortunately don’t have many demos online.

1. Morgan MVP23 - power scales to 0.25 watt, shines in the Anderton’s video of it.

2. Milkman Half Pint 5watt - I’m leaning towards this as it has a built in reverb and tremolo but is the most expensive amp of the three.

3. Tone King Gremlin - cheapest, built in Iron Man II attenuator (which apparently is top class), has tweed and black face channels, only 1 demo on Youtube by coda.

I’m looking for something with an attenuator or power scaling (ideally built in) and that can do lush cleans and some overdriven tones (think mayer Mayer, SRV, Hendrix). 

Many thanks in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I've played the milkman half pint. I thought it was good. But like you say it's very expensive. I've also played a Morgan, but not the model you've mentioned. I played the pr12 12w 1x12 combo. That was a lovely amp. Fantastic reverb. 
    You should definitely check out Rift Amps though. Chris makes a model called the pr6 which has trem and reverb. Also the tweed style amps. I think there's a 5w model. The ones I've played were fantastic. With some of the best build quality I've ever seen. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3838
    If you want amp crunch, you'll definitely need an attenuator. 5 watts is still bloody loud. In my experience, about 0.25 watts is TV volume level. Or just use a pedal for crunch...
  • Or buy an Audio Kitchen ‘The Big Trees’ :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you looked into the Divided By 13 JRT 9/15 as well?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    The Milkman sounds nice clean but doesn't seem to deliver on the cranked sound.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Or buy an Audio Kitchen ‘The Big Trees’ :)
    I’d like to try on of these out

• pmg said:
    Same, however, Milkman released something similiar but different at NAMM, called The Amp that has a similiar price
  • markr76 said:
    I've played the milkman half pint. I thought it was good. But like you say it's very expensive. I've also played a Morgan, but not the model you've mentioned. I played the pr12 12w 1x12 combo. That was a lovely amp. Fantastic reverb. 
    You should definitely check out Rift Amps though. Chris makes a model called the pr6 which has trem and reverb. Also the tweed style amps. I think there's a 5w model. The ones I've played were fantastic. With some of the best build quality I've ever seen. 
    Thanks great suggestion, I didn’t know about Rift amp, the videos for the higher wattage amps sound great, too bad there doesnt appear to be one for the pr6.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3139
    tFB Trader
    markr76 said:
    Thanks great suggestion, I didn’t know about Rift amp, the videos for the higher wattage amps sound great, too bad there doesnt appear to be one for the pr6.

Yes, sorry about that. I've just changed the spec of the PR6 from a SE design to PP - a new demo video will be shot sometime in March
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• pmg said:
    I think it’s the best piece of music gear I’ve ever bought. Took a while to ‘get it’ but now I think it’s a work of genius.