New keyboard day

Today, my Yamaha Piaggero NP-32B keyboard arrived from Thomann.  The NP-32 is a 'home use' keyboard and it has no gigging/professional use pretensions.  It sounds pretty good and looks the part in our music room.  I bought it to use for my music reading learning challenge, my music teacher said he will teach me chords and how to play songs on it as well as helping my understanding of music notation.

I know the story: pics or it never happened.  I will see if I can upload a photo tomorrow or the next day.  
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hope you enjoy it @Rocker :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Got my keyboard today as well - a Roland RD2000.  Its improved my playing already.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4944
    Thanks guys.  It fits nicely on the keyboard stand I got in Lidl.  One slight annoyance is that the PSU has only the European 2 pin plug.  Doubly annoying is that the 2 pin part of the PSU can be removed and replaced with a 3 pin unit to operate on our standard 13 amp sockets.  But the 3 pin unit was not included with the PSU.  Several years ago I bought a Squeezebox that had a similar type of PSU but it had the 3 pin unit.  Naturally the Squeezebox 3 pin unit would not fit on the Yamaha PSU.  I emailed Thomann and explained the problem.  Their Customer Services Department sent me an email on how to send the keyboard back to them.  The piece I need will fit in a small Jiffy bag, so hopefully the item will be located and sent to me next week.  I found a 3 pin to 2 pin adapter and this allows me to play the keyboard.  The OCD part of my brain does not like mains adapters as it looks a bit of a bodge.  But it works.

The CD which teaches the entire Rachmaninoff works over a weekend is missing.  If anyone has one, could I borrow it for a few days.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• left hand/right and splits....are so much harder than left hand/right hand guitar parts.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Disciplining the left hand has always been my weak spot. Consequently, it is mostly deployed on pitch bend and modulation controller duties on synthesizers. Do not let this happen to you!
    Be seeing you.
  • Its never too late...

I at organ lessons in my youth -so was used to chord shapes with my left.  Ive always noodled on keys (workstations/synths) and continued the chord work with my left, and added octaves and broken chords.

at 50, I decided I wanted to learn proper piano - not to a classical standard though, my aim is to be jools Holland (love the boogie stuff) by the time I retire.  Hence picking up a stage piano with weighted keys and 88 notes.

Im practising every day - scale runs with right, then left, then both hands (both up, both down, one up the other down) along with reinforcing chord inversions (really only had one set down automatically) and controlling volume/key pressure.

Im only 5 days in, and Im seeing good improvements.

I still struggle to play melodies/bass runs with my left but thats coming (played solo and with single held chords with the right), but left hand runs with right hand melodies is beyond me yet.  My timing just goes to pot.  Im determined to get there though f its possible despite, as I say - now being 50.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Rocker said:
    The CD which teaches the entire Rachmaninoff works over a weekend is missing.  If anyone has one, could I borrow it for a few days.....

Think I'll have to join the queue for that too!

Pity about the power supply - I wonder if Thomann should be supplying it with a proper UK 3-pin plug...  anyway doesn't matter as you've got it up and running.

I liked the NP series when I was looking a few years ago.  I would have got one. (A cheap used Casio digi piano turned up instead, otherwise I'd have had the Yammy.)

• Nice one. I had an NP30 which I learned some tunes on from youtube tutorials. They're great instruments for finding your way around a keyboard.