Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

One off new OGWT BBC4 "in a couple of weeks"

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
Wasn't sure where to post this......
Just announced on the shite that is Steve Wright show on t'Wireless.......hope its not a disappointment.....

https://inews.co.uk/news/bbc-revives-old-grey-whistle-test-whispering-bob-harris-will-present/

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I've got the DVD set, which I haven't got 'round to watching.

The OGWT took a turn for the worse when that nasty sneering Nightingale woman took over.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The original OGWT with Whispering Bob was my musical education in my teen years. My first time hearing Zappa's music, first time hearing Beefheart, first time hearing Roy Harper, Ricki Lee Jones, ... what a great show. Never really liked Annie Nightingale - she just seemed wrong for it.
  • Had to re-read that. Thought it said Steve Wright was going to do it at first! 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited February 2018
    There's an OGWT retrospective on Radio2 at the moment, Whispering Bob playing the best of performances each week, Weds evenings
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited February 2018
    The live show will apparently feature Joan Armatrading, Peter Frampton and Richard Thompson - plus others to be announced. Really looking forward to it.
  • It makes me sad that Colin Grigson won't miss the second half of the show after putting his foot through the television set. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• It makes me sad that Colin Grigson won't miss the second half of the show after putting his foot through the television set. 
    Is that you Alan?.....sorry Vim.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    The live show will apparently feature Joan Armatrading, Peter Frampton and Richard Thompson - plus others to be announced. Really looking forward to it.
    Also signed up, Grunties, Hot Nadgers, Red Buttocks, Steve Flea, Toad the Wet Sprocket... Come on I can't be the only one who remembers RWT?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Nnnnnnnnice!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I would comment but I can only whisper through my beard .
  • Are @horse and@geepers0677 still around? They could give us the inside track on Whispering Bob. 

Anyway, should be good. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Are @horse and@geepers0677 still around? They could give us the inside track on Whispering Bob. 

Anyway, should be good. 
    I am indeed, but unlike geepers / Gareth I never met whispering bob so ''I know nothing'
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    I gave up on OGWT when it became a show about its presenters, interspersed with bits of music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I have fond memories of OGWT, saw some amazing acts, live. On t'wireless Whispering Bob said that the show was the last one of the night and it would often over run, with the Beeb staff having to hang aroud to shut the station down for the night....the days of the National Anthem and the overnight test card......such golden memories, Christ I'm feeling ooooold!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5412
    Jools Holland took the OGWT torch with pride... and proceeded to snuff it out and put the handle into a wood chipper. 

I’m too young to remember when OGWT first aired but love watching old clips on YouTube and on BBC4 clip shows like “Guitar Heroes At The BBC”...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5412
    Neill said:
    Also signed up, Grunties, Hot Nadgers, Red Buttocks, Steve Flea, Toad the Wet Sprocket... Come on I can't be the only one who remembers RWT?
    If true, are they actually recording this all in the UK?

Why would Toad do this and no UK shows? I know they are super middle-of-the-road but 17 year old me really wants to see them as I never did back in the day. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Don't recall Hot Nadgers, but there were Fred Rickshaw's Hot Goolies, and Ned's Atomic Dustbin.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    Looking forward to it.

Remember sitting up and watching the originals all those years ago - the anticipation of seeing/hearing something new every week.

So glad whispering Bob is doing it, all downhill after he left. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    For those of us old enough to remember ......The Old Grey Whistle Test is revived to do a big One -Off Special with the legendary Whispering Bob Harris ,71 ,back at the helm
     I like Bob and his latter year Country Music shows but some of the original shows from the 70s were quite magical and featured some of the iconic Rock bands that we guitarists are still imitating today.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    edited February 2018
    Such a shame but I assume the Beeb wiped most of the original tapes, there must have been some amazing stuff deleted over the years. You only ever see a handful of clips, repeated ad nauseum on those BBC4 music shows, but basically they’re the same ones that are on the OGWT dvd boxsets.