Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

One off new OGWT BBC4 "in a couple of weeks"

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• We need something like that back on the Beeb, don't we? No nonsense, lots of up and coming music, a cross between Later and John Peel.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    We need something like that back on the Beeb, don't we? No nonsense, lots of up and coming music, a cross between Later and John Peel.
    Definitely ;-) 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited February 2018
    overriding memories of OGWT original watches:

Rushing home from Fri night/Weekend supermarket job on a Friday around Easter '75 to see Lynyrd Skynyrd

The animation sequence produced to play Queen's Keep Yourself Alive to- this was the very first time I had heard of them.

The Oscilloscope/ electrons animation  created  to play The Neutrons - Living in the World Today:

Oh - seems is a bit of theme between the two animations!! Can you spot it???
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Neill said:
    The live show will apparently feature Joan Armatrading, Peter Frampton and Richard Thompson - plus others to be announced. Really looking forward to it.
    Also signed up, Grunties, Hot Nadgers, Red Buttocks, Steve Flea, Toad the Wet Sprocket... Come on I can't be the only one who remembers RWT?
    If true, are they actually recording this all in the UK?

Why would Toad do this and no UK shows? I know they are super middle-of-the-road but 17 year old me really wants to see them as I never did back in the day. 
    Was just thinking this. Would really love to scratch them off the bucket list! 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    We need something like that back on the Beeb, don't we? No nonsense, lots of up and coming music, a cross between Later and John Peel.
    Seems stupid to do it with the old guys from the 70s when there's a lot of young psych revival acts around that can take advantage of the opportunity to do extended improvs on tv 
  • hippy shit

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I miss John Peel so much :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    Dr Feelgood and P.I.L were my favourites from that show
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Whitecat said:
    Neill said:
    The live show will apparently feature Joan Armatrading, Peter Frampton and Richard Thompson - plus others to be announced. Really looking forward to it.
    Also signed up, Grunties, Hot Nadgers, Red Buttocks, Steve Flea, Toad the Wet Sprocket... Come on I can't be the only one who remembers RWT?

Why would Toad do this and no UK shows? I know they are super middle-of-the-road but 17 year old me really wants to see them as I never did back in the day. 

Toad the Wet Sprocket was a Monty Python in joke that surfaced in Eric Idle's own project Rutland Weekend Television along with all the other fictional bands above.  See this vid, intro begins about a minute in.

The actual band TTWS were Python fans.  AFAIK none of the others became "real" rock bands.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    boogieman said:
    Such a shame but I assume the Beeb wiped most of the original tapes, there must have been some amazing stuff deleted over the years. You only ever see a handful of clips, repeated ad nauseum on those BBC4 music shows, but basically they’re the same ones that are on the OGWT dvd boxsets. 

There's actually loads of stuff on youtube but you sort of have to know what you're looking for.  

Among my favourites are a classic session from John Otway and Wild Willy Barrett (Really Free), A great three song set from the Rezillos, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band covering Tom Jones' "Delilah", an early Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark performance, and a terrific Iggy Pop rendition of "I'm Bored" (Glen Matlock on bass)

Unfortunately a lot of OGWT "live " performances took place during the dark days of the musicians union dispute when bands mimed to pre recorded tracks, often very obviously.  But there's still plenty of classic stuff out there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Neill said:
    Whitecat said:
    Neill said:

Toad the Wet Sprocket was a Monty Python in joke that surfaced in Eric Idle's own project Rutland Weekend Television along with all the other fictional bands above.  See this vid, intro begins about a minute in.

The actual band TTWS were Python fans.  AFAIK none of the others became "real" rock bands.
    Ah yes, I knew the origin of their name but the joke flew straight over my head... ha. Good job!