Mounting 15" EVM speakers in a 4x12? Possible?

What's Hot
lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
edited February 2018 in Amps
I don't have the 15" speakers in question otherwise I would've tried it immediately. I'm picking up some 12" speakers tomorrow from the speaker repair guy and I thought to take the 15" speakers off his hands too. Before I do, best I get some feedback from the forum.

Is it possible to mount 2x15" speakers in a 4x12 vintage marshall type cabinet (a 68 sound city cab before any of you squirm from the thought of drilling extra holes in a cab)? 

What about diagonally 2x15" and 2x12" in the same 4x12 cab?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    If you replace the baffle you can do 2x15” in a straight 4x12”-size cab, but not an angled one since they overlap the centre line.

You probably won’t be able to fit two 12s as well, but you can do two 10s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    It's a straight cab. Diagonal configuration. 
    Any thoughts on the EVM15L speakers?
    They’re great, but very heavy and need securing well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I would definintely use the marshall type of mounting screws into an inserted female thread.

a 2x12" and 2x15" looks impossible from my photo of the cab's interior. A new mounted baffle would have to be done.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    edited February 2018
    ICBM said:
    They’re great, but very heavy and need securing well.

Take advantage then of the eight mounting holes . M6 and a smear of Loctite?

It is considered 'bad form' to front mount guitar speakers but always seems to me to be the most convenient way to go and least likely to get a driver through the cone!

Opinions?

Dave.

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I'm a fan of the EVM12L and would love to try a 15 in an oversize 1x15.
    ecc83 said:

Take advantage then of the eight mounting holes . M6 and a smear of Loctite?

It is considered 'bad form' to front mount guitar speakers but always seems to me to be the most convenient way to go and least likely to get a driver through the cone!

Opinions?

I think you're much more likely to slip and put a driver through the cone on a front-loaded speaker. It's not going to work in a typical 4x12" anyway, the grille cloth is usually fitted as part of the baffle.

I once had a Mesa bass cab with a front-mounted EVM-15 which was held in from the factory with woodscrews! Utter crap - most of them had pulled their threads so it was barely hanging in the cab. I fitted standard M5 T-nuts and bolts - M6 is probably overkill given that there are eight.

edited February 2018

"I think you're much more likely to slip and put a driver through the cone on a front-loaded speaker"

No mate because you can lay a bit of ply across the chassis to protect it. Did this all the time with hi fi woofers since you CAN fix a guitar speaker cone but put a driver through a roll surround and it is buggered.

Also, if you HAVE to solder the tags I stuff the back of the cone with kitchen paper. Same reason, one blob of hot solder on a neoprene surround? Eff'ed!

I'm all for overkill!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I do put kitchen roll (or an old duster) under the terminals - it’s a pain if a blob of solder falls down there... not least because the temptation is to fish it out with your fingers, and it doesn’t cool down quickly! It will stick to the surround doping as well, even if it doesn’t burn through.

I never thought about putting a protector across the front - good idea. It’s decades since I put a driver through a cone, I’ve only ever done it once! Just took it as a lesson to be more careful - I hold the business end of the driver in place with my other hand. Seen plenty done by others though...

ICBM said:
    I do put kitchen roll (or an old duster) under the terminals - it’s a pain if a blob of solder falls down there... not least because the temptation is to fish it out with your fingers, and it doesn’t cool down quickly! It will stick to the surround doping as well, even if it doesn’t burn through.

I never thought about putting a protector across the front - good idea. It’s decades since I put a driver through a cone, I’ve only ever done it once! Just took it as a lesson to be more careful - I hold the business end of the driver in place with my other hand. Seen plenty done by others though...

Ha! Just thought, front loading also means you are the 'right' side of the magnet, that can give you a bum steer!

Dave.