Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

That John Mayer PRS Strat is about again...

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
I just wrote this one, so figured you lot may want to see it.

https://www.gearnews.com/prs-john-mayer-stratocaster-drop/

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I like it.

TBH, I don't really see what Fender *can* say... its not the same shape, the headstock is different, the birds etc, the metal components are different, the pickguard is different, the knobs are different... its not a 'copy' but you can see an influence.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    True, I suppose you are right about that. I reckon someone in artist relations at Fender is kicking themselves for letting him go.

Considering he made all his most famous records using Strats, this must be a kick in the teeth for Fender

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    wow - that has far more Fender about it than the usual Paul influenced models with his usual tweaks and updates - can't see any headstock pics yet - bet it won't be cheap either - can't see it selling much less than a C/Shop, Suhr Classic pricing either - will be interesting to see neck profile and what the pick ups are - intrigued at this stage
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31579
    It's hilarious the way they've given it a huge, clunky lower horn so they can relieve it PRS-style for upper fret access, simultaneously creating and solving the same problem in one hideous signature move. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    I'm liking the vintage style bridge, as that is a little different for PRS.

p90fool said:
    It's hilarious the way they've given it a huge, clunky lower horn so they can relieve it PRS-style for upper fret access, simultaneously creating and solving the same problem in one hideous signature move. 
    That doesn't bother me at all - and I say that as a Strat player and owner of one of these:

• It's similar to the EG they did a few years ago. 
    It's similar to the EG they did a few years ago. 
    Yes, I was thinking that. It is not a million miles away from those at all really.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    p90fool said:
    That doesn't bother me at all - and I say that as a Strat player and owner of one of these:

that is so much more Paul' s normal take on a classic model - it has a Fender influence about it but is still with out doubt a PRS - The new JM model, other than the inlays is far more Fender and far less PRS - I assume it will retain the 305 style headstock and not 6 a-side - other than the pics we've seen with John and a prototype we've not seen the headstock yet
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    I don't see the point. It looks like a cheap Korean/ Chinese strat copy or at best a SE model with those bird inlays.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    fnpt said:
    I don't see the point. It looks like a cheap Korean/ Chinese strat copy or at best a SE model with those bird inlays.
    Actually... I do.

Y'see, Fender are wedded to their standard trem system. We all know how to improve it (nylon inserts instead of that pathetic spring to stop the slop, etc etc, proper straight pull etc etc). Plus we all know how great PRS build quality is. I ended up with the PRS 305 rather than a Custom Shop Fender as I preferred it in terms of feel and sound - and I'm not a fan of the 'dentist' image and mine is sunburst, and I HATE sunburst finishes. Nothing against the Fenders, as they were all very nice in their own way but none felt any more "special" than my old Jap Strat (genuinely, to me... and I tried *A LOT* of them in Coda Music), yet the PRS did.

Its clear that there has been some kind of falling out between Mayer and Fender - and that *is* sad - and he's decided to work with a different guitar maker, however, his early stuff uses single coil tones and Strat sounds... therefore its inevitable that he'd need something from them to fulfill that role. Why not have a high quality S-type guitar, much like the Suhr, Anderson etc but made by PRS?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31579
    impmann said:
    p90fool said:

I like that!
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    impmann said:
    fnpt said:
    Actually... I do.

Y'see, Fender are wedded to their standard trem system. We all know how to improve it (nylon inserts instead of that pathetic spring to stop the slop, etc etc, proper straight pull etc etc). Plus we all know how great PRS build quality is. I ended up with the PRS 305 rather than a Custom Shop Fender as I preferred it in terms of feel and sound - and I'm not a fan of the 'dentist' image and mine is sunburst, and I HATE sunburst finishes. Nothing against the Fenders, as they were all very nice in their own way but none felt any more "special" than my old Jap Strat (genuinely, to me... and I tried *A LOT* of them in Coda Music), yet the PRS did.

Its clear that there has been some kind of falling out between Mayer and Fender - and that *is* sad - and he's decided to work with a different guitar maker, however, his early stuff uses single coil tones and Strat sounds... therefore its inevitable that he'd need something from them to fulfill that role. Why not have a high quality S-type guitar, much like the Suhr, Anderson etc but made by PRS?
    My criticism is more towards the attempt to make it look like a strat. I've never played a PRS but mostly heard good things about them so I'm sure that it will be a terrific guitar, but being a "modern" brand, why the atempt to make it look like a 60 year old model? the 305 was a much more reasonable attempt at getting the sound with a modernized look and feel, this just looks like a Squier infinity.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I don't get it. If you want a strat get a strat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
    I don't think it just about aesthetics, you have to remember that Leo Fender gave his guitars to players, he was an engineer and never played the guitar himself. The curves of the Stratocaster came about via feedback from touring musicians.

They wanted a more comfortable shape and better note access at higher registers, than the Esquire/Telecaster could give them.

So the Strat kind of evolved from player feedback.

It makes sense, so I can see why Mayer wants this shape.

• It would be great if this came out at S2 prices. Much less competition from he likes of Suhr, Fender CS etc, and I bet they would sell a boatload. 

Still don't think I would have one though.
  • rico said:
    I don't get it. If you want a strat get a strat.

PRS trem is really nice though.  I don't use trems but it is one of my favourites.
  • It’s bound to be a great guitar - PRS may not have had much success with their more Fender-like offerings - but (in particular) the Brent Mason Signature model was fantastic.

If its a core, or S2 model - I reckon this could be a big seller.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5153
    Olympic White with a tortoise guard and I’m placing an order  :)
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    fender will sue their @rse off .