Guitar condition = good with a bit of wear on brass-plated pickups and bridge?

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
When I advertise on ebay, is it fair to declare a guitar as "good" condition if there is a bit of wear on the plating at the edges of pickups and the bridge?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1391
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen brass plated hardware without a bit of wear, so describing it as good seems ok to me.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6913
    tFB Trader
    Going by the "Blue Book" grading system, good doesn't have to be very good at all
    https://www.axecentral.com/guitar-grading-system-/-condition-factors-307.html
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    I think you just have to be as honest as you can - it is a hard one and I have to use many adjectives to try and portray such info on many occasions - MINT is easy if it is MINT - Beat the crap out of it like Rory's Strat is easy - It is all the other options in between with no firm barometer of measurement

Try and use 'light superficial wear to the top surface of the finish' for very clean

Gloss finish is in very good condition with little signs of use, but brass hardware shows light/heavy signs of wear/fade/oxidization etc

compression buckle wear on the rear of the body, but no wear that shows the wood etc

Light dings, nicks etc

haze of oxidization on the nickel hardware etc - LIght wear on the gold plated hardware

pics are always best to support such statements - many times the camera won't pick-up light superficial wear

Just be as honest as you can - don't sell mutton as lamb 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    Going by the "Blue Book" grading system, good doesn't have to be very good at all
    I've seen the USA grading system that some adopt but seen as 90 odd % of potential customers don't know about the blue book then I see it as  pointless - it is this VGC VGC+ or VGC++ or Ex Con or Ex Con + I don't get - what if mine is better than VGC+ but not as good as VGC++
  • I'd just say something along the lines of 'fully working and in good overall condition with some signs of wear on the brass hardware as pictured'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Basically, if there's any obvious dent or damage I'd try to describe where and have a good photo of that particular thing.  There's no point in trying to hide it as it increases your chance of getting a disappointed seller which is hassle for both of you
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    It depends where you are selling the instrument.

If it's Gumtree or a site where the buyer decides at the point of sale, all you've done is wasted his and your time by poorly describing it.

If its Ebay, it's a different kettle of fish. Your description has to be super accurate to avoid returns/complaints and all the nonsense that follows an Ebay sale. Anything less than a full and frank disclosure on condition/issues opens you up to a world of pain.

Advice - Never use Ebay to sell.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6913
    tFB Trader
    I've seen the USA grading system that some adopt but seen as 90 odd % of potential customers don't know about the blue book then I see it as  pointless - it is this VGC VGC+ or VGC++ or Ex Con or Ex Con + I don't get - what if mine is better than VGC+ but not as good as VGC++
    I agree, I was pointing out the stupidity of the BB grades.

I think you have to describe your guitar in terms that a buyer would understand. Best just be factual and not to use any terms that could be misconstrued.