Beginners question

I am looking to start recording my playing and building songs/backing tracks but am pretty clueless what exactly I will need versus what is desirable.
Software wise I am thinking of:
Reaper for my DAW
EZ Drummer 2
Trilian for Bass

So what will I need to get for DI with my PC?
 I don't currently have any amp modeller or anything so will possibly be going direct from the amp, what cable do I need?
 My amp has a Direct out so hopefully this will not be too much of a problem
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd just get one of the focusrite scarlet interfaces. Probably the 2i2 will be enough for you.  

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • MT Power drum kit 2 is a basic free drum programme. Might be worth using it to see off you're going to stick at recording before paying for drums.

As Legionreturns suggests a simple interface would be fine. You can just put a dry signal in and use amp sims. There are lots of good free amp sims and cabinet impulse responses out there. If you Google LePou then he makes plenty.

What amp do you use just now? 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    EZ Drummer 2
    Trilian for Bass
    You will need some form of USB MIDI Controller to enter note data in real time. This could be a keyboard or it could be a guitar-to-MIDI converter. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I'd just get one of the focusrite scarlet interfaces. Probably the 2i2 will be enough for you.  
    Yeh that looks fine, they do a bundled vrsion with headphones and mic which I will consider as I need some headphones
  • OnTheRopesOnTheRopes Frets: 44
    edited February 2018
    MT Power drum kit 2 is a basic free drum programme. Might be worth using it to see off you're going to stick at recording before paying for drums.

As Legionreturns suggests a simple interface would be fine. You can just put a dry signal in and use amp sims. There are lots of good free amp sims and cabinet impulse responses out there. If you Google LePou then he makes plenty.

What amp do you use just now? 
    I looked at MD Power Drum kit as I saw it mentioned on another thread, I may try it, but then once learned I find it a pain to relearn a new software, EZ Drummer has a free trial I may try. Thay also have an educational offer which makes it much better financially
    My amp is a Kustom 72 Coupe
  • EZ Drummer 2
    Trilian for Bass
    You will need some form of USB MIDI Controller to enter note data in real time. This could be a keyboard or it could be a guitar-to-MIDI converter. 
    I wondered this, but do I? Maybe for Trilian as I havent looked that close into using it,but can they not be used (not sure of the correct term) by adding hits/notes to the timeline rather than inputting via a keyboard?
  • @OnTheRopes you can just input midi on that timeline. I use that approach for drums and synths. However unless your rhythm transcribing skills are good it can tricky for more complicated rhythms (for example a 3 notes per bar in 4/4 like the intro to Jesus of Suburbia by Green Day). That's where ability to enter in real time can be useful 
  • @OnTheRopes your amp will need an interface to record from it. It looks like it doesn't do USB out. Use a guitar lead into an interface if you want to use the DI cab sim, or get a mic like a SM 57 if you want to record the real sound from your cabinet 
  • @OnTheRopes you can just input midi on that timeline. I use that approach for drums and synths. However unless your rhythm transcribing skills are good it can tricky for more complicated rhythms (for example a 3 notes per bar in 4/4 like the intro to Jesus of Suburbia by Green Day). That's where ability to enter in real time can be useful 
    So I could add a keyboard as and when required.
    I always wanted a Telefunken U47 actually ;) 
    This is starting to get  complicated  :o 
  • So I could add a keyboard as and when required.
    I always wanted a Telefunken U47 actually ;) 
    This is starting to get  complicated  :o 
    You can also use the Humanize function in Reaper to add some sloppiness and make programmed MIDI more realistic sounding... 

Yes. It does get complicated! There are many many different ways of doing the same thing. Just wait until you get to mixing and EQing stuff. It's all good fun thigh 
  • OnTheRopesOnTheRopes Frets: 44
    edited February 2018
    So I could add a keyboard as and when required.
    I always wanted a Telefunken U47 actually  
    This is starting to get  complicated  o 
    You can also use the Humanize function in Reaper to add some sloppiness and make programmed MIDI more realistic sounding... 

Yes. It does get complicated! There are many many different ways of doing the same thing. Just wait until you get to mixing and EQing stuff. It's all good fun thigh 
    Thanks for the input, I may be back when I get lost. Cheers
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Dude I see you're in Derby, Im just in Walsall if you fancy a trip down sometime...I use Studio One DAW.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    Dude I see you're in Derby, Im just in Walsall if you fancy a trip down sometime...I use Studio One DAW.
    Actually I am not on Derby anymore, moved up to Buxton, but I do pass by with work on occasion so a visit would be possible.
    Thanks a bunch for the offer, that is greatly appreciated.