Telecaster refinish.. Paisley stylie

Misses has gone covering stuff crazy!

started refinishing my pink telecaster.

this is as far as weve gotten so far.. managed to find something very very similar to the original paisley finish.

Also wanted to say if anyone fancies something reupholstered in this fabric we have a limited quantity.. and it's fine stuff.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    next stop is the polyfinish etc before trimming, burst more poly etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NICE 

@jookychap will probably like this.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Lovely - looking forward to seeing some progress and finshed pics :)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    As an owner of 2 paisley Teles, I have to give a "wow" :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9611
    Poly over fabric? Should be interesting... The original were wallpaper weren't they? Much nicer shade than the pink stuff though.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Good stuff... You can grain fill the fabric before you lacquer it if you want a smooth finish/to keep the lacquer thin :)

• JookyChap;186145" said:
    Good stuff... You can grain fill the fabric before you lacquer it if you want a smooth finish/to keep the lacquer thin :)
    Perhaps an odd thing to ask, but what do you use to grain fill fabric? Genuine question.

Jooky, forever crossing boundaries.

The easiest one to use is Mod-podge, as you only need a couple of coats, but in the end I tended to use Crystalac Wood Grain Filler which dries transparent and can be sanded smooth really easily. You can get an oak coloured one if you want an aged look though. It depends a bit on what you are sticking the cloth to the wood with though, as some won't mix nicely. :)

• zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    JookyChap said:

What product/process would you recommend?

We were going to use a brush on poly, let it saturate the cloth and then sand flat.. burst and then the same again.

what is this Mod-Podge ?
  • dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    edited March 2014
    I've been trying to pluck up the courage to do something similar, so if you have any material going spare I'd be interested in taking it off your hands and having a go
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Looks promising. I like paisley.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

What product/process would you recommend?

We were going to use a brush on poly, let it saturate the cloth and then sand flat.. burst and then the same again.

what is this Mod-Podge ?
    Mod-Podge is like a watered down PVA glue but with some other stuff in it, that is really intended for decoupage.

Basically, you use it to stick the fabric to the wood, and then paint over the fabric with it and it fills the grain and turns it plastic. It goes on white but dries transparent, which makes it easy to see where you have coated. A few coats, with a bit of sanding on each and you can get a really smooth finish. It is self leveling as well which is nice. It dries quickly too and is pretty forgiving.

You can just spray lacquer over the top or varnish or I've finished it with hard wax oil too, it is really inert so most anything works fine.

You can just use Ronseal as you were planning, but the Mod-Podge is easier to get a good result with, but whichever you go for, it is worth spending the money on a good varnish brush.

This is the stuff - an 8oz pot will do two or three guitar bodies if you keep the coats thin.

Go for the Gloss or Matte ones, it doesn't matter which as the lacquer will dictate the final finish. They also do sparkly ones if you want the glitter ball effect.. ;)

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Every time I see a paisley guitar, I want one!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.