Laney VC 30

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960

anyone got one of these amps?

I was jus' wonderin' if you bang the clean channel hard with humbuckers does it get all muddy and fizzy or does it sound good?

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    They sound great. I've had two of them and the clean channel is fantastic. They have a Low and High input depending on the output of your guitar. I had mine with Teles and Les Pauls plus my Godin Radiator and they stay clean until you really really wind the channel up into power amp breakup. If you hit the preamp super hard with a boost you can get it to break up in quite a nice way.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    I've got vasselmeyer's old one and I'm hugely impressed.

I've been using it at rehearsal and putting it through an orange 2x12 v30 cab and it sounds huge. The clean channel breaks up around 3 or 4 with my les paul but only moderatly and it's a fantastic sound, just a bit of hair. About 5 it really sounded awesome but stupidly loud :)

I bought it as a grab and go so I don't have to take my Blackstar Artisan to rehearsals with me but I can see this doing a few gigs from time to time for variety.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I've had 2 of 'em also...the 2x12 and the 2x10. Both great amps...the 2x12 was considerably more louder and heavier..but that shouldn't be a surprise! I thought the drive channel was ok on the 2x10...but had this horrid fuzzy character on the 2x12 once you got the gain over halfway...so when I did get the 2x10 a while after I sold the 2x12 I was expecting the same crappy fuzzy dirt...but no such thing! So I'm only able to guess its the speakers that were in my 2x12 Celestion 70/80's...and the 2x10 had the Jensens in it. Possibly the valves as i never changed the valves in the 2x12 but its clean channel was lovely and chimey and sounded great so my guess is the speakers on the 2x12 didn't like the gain the amp produced. I used the 2x12 in a band for a few months and largely used the clean channel only with pedals and it was a fantastic amp this way. the 2x10 I had later was during my wilderness from gigs/band playing so I never really got to use that amp off the leash so to speak. But bottom line is both amps were great and i have fond memories of my 2 I had...the clean channel reminds me of the AC30s top boost channel - that chimey bright clean. I have AC30s now but still could imagine me owning a VC30 again in the future...they were that good.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    I have a 2 x 12 with a vintage 30 and G12H30 - much better than the stock speakers!

I drive it hard and the drive channel sounds superb with humbuckers.

I'm afraid I have only used the clean channel with single coils - stayed very clean for ages!

Nice and cheap second hand so just go for it :p

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

• I currently gig with a vc30 212, standard 70/80 speakers, and humbucker guitars, clean is clean pretty much all the way, wouldn't put it full whack as it gets loud. even the drive chanel isn't very dirty. I tend to only play in the drive chanel and add dirt with a tube screamer.  I did have a jvm 210 which I found too complicated and too many options, I like simple amps.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    I have the 1x12. The Clean channel stays clean regardless of what you pick ups you use or what volume you have it at. I could be wrong but I think the clean channel by-passes the preamp section so this is probably why.(please correct me if Im wrong as I know nothing about the inner workings of amps.)

As previously mentioned the clean channel is really clean and "chimey" . I use a Tele and 335 and it really does react nicely to the different pickups. I generally use the clean channel with pedals for heavier tones and the drive channel for anything crunchy in between .eg 60's or classic rock type tones. Reverb is also very good.

its also incredibly loud for it size and have never gigged with it on anything above 4.This is a shame as it sounds better the louder it gets! 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    Unless they've changed the circuit (or the one I tried was banjaxed), it very definitely did break up on the clean channel on the one I was able to crank up. Ages since I tried it so I can't remember for sure, but I'm guessing anywhere much over 11-12 o'clock and it was breaking up. Certainly by full whack on the volume control it was definitely distorted.