Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender Fat Finger

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    I think I might prefer smaller headstock instruments.  I suspect that bigger headstocks are more flexible on the end of a neck if all other factors are equal.  Though this is more about rigidity than actual size.

Actually I think Sadowsky make a big thing about headstock thickness on their basses.  In fact IIRC even Fender put a thicker headstock on the US Standard basses than on the MIMs.

yeah, I think headstock stiffness is quite important to the way a guitar responds.   Big flappy headstocks sustain differently to small stiff ones..   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m going to patent a clip-on tuner made of lead.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    Sounds like the name for the sort of swelling we all got when learning to fret barre chords.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I use this instead. 2 kilos of cast iron adds a huge amount of sustain.

Image result for g clamps
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    Sassafras said:

A small one is a good way to test the effect on your guitar.  Just make sure you protect the finish
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14037
    tFB Trader
    maybe it is a load of crap or not - The guy who came up with the 'fathead' was called Aspen Pitman - Original owner of Groove Tubes - I recall him telling me sometime in the 80's that if you try 2/3 or 4 original 58/59  LP's you'll find the one with the better tone/sustain has a thicker headstock (hence more mass) - now this may well be true - but who on this forum has ever had a chance to try one, let alone 2/3 or 4 original 58/59 LP's to see if the one with the thicker headstock has more tone/sustain 

In many ways you can test the effect of more mass on your headstock my placing the headstock of your guitar against the kitchen table or a brick wall - then play a chord before/after and hear the difference - but does this show up when plugged into the amp ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    JezWynd said:
    Anyone tried it? It's supposed to increase sustain if attached the headstock. Hmmm.

The underlying theory may be nonsense or not, but surely that fluffy pad designed to protect the finish would also impede transfer of vibrations between this thing and the headstock?
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I have an original "Fat)Finger" (Xmas gift iirc), which is also a Groove Tubes thing.

I think it used to help remove a slight deadspot on a Tele I used to own, although I could well have been imagining it. It makes no difference that I can hear to any of my current guitars.

Open to offers btw. Form an orderly queue. It's probably vintage, you know ...
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    So after you've put on the Fat Finger, the Fathead, stuck on a brass nut and put in a sustain plate under the bridge how the hell are you supposed to lift up the bloody guitar to play it?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 871
    edited February 2018
    I had one years ago. I seem to recall it worked well on a small acoustic and made not much difference on most of my other guitars
    I think I have it away eventually and don’t miss it
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    maybe it is a load of crap or not - The guy who came up with the 'fathead' was called Aspen Pitman - Original owner of Groove Tubes - I recall him telling me sometime in the 80's that if you try 2/3 or 4 original 58/59  LP's you'll find the one with the better tone/sustain has a thicker headstock (hence more mass) - now this may well be true - but who on this forum has ever had a chance to try one, let alone 2/3 or 4 original 58/59 LP's to see if the one with the thicker headstock has more tone/sustain 

In many ways you can test the effect of more mass on your headstock my placing the headstock of your guitar against the kitchen table or a brick wall - then play a chord before/after and hear the difference - but does this show up when plugged into the amp ?
    Aspen Pitman? Oh he’s never pedalled snake oil..

Like his purple valves - the ones aimed at hifi customers in the 1990s. Supposedly the purple glass made a difference to the sound. So I challenged him at a hifi show in London about this asking for a scientific explanation - after five mins of hippy shit that was meaningless twaddle, I asked him again. So I got thrown out. By the following year, GT had stopped making them... funny that.
    Sorry but he’s up there with Andy P, MD Phillips and Donald Trump for arse vocalisation.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1710
    edited February 2018
    I can sell you a tuning file for the fat finger to synchronise its resonance with your particular guitar.

in fact, if you send me your guitar and fat finger monthly, I'll can charge you a reasonable subscription price to tune it with crystals to your astrological profile so your guitar set up is aligned with your chakras and energy field through out the year.

No more pre gig concerns about Aries rising in Saturn for you, friend!

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    impmann said:

Aspen Pitman? Oh he’s never pedalled snake oil..

Like his purple valves - the ones aimed at hifi customers in the 1990s. Supposedly the purple glass made a difference to the sound. So I challenged him at a hifi show in London about this asking for a scientific explanation - after five mins of hippy shit that was meaningless twaddle, I asked him again. So I got thrown out. By the following year, GT had stopped making them... funny that.
    Sorry but he’s up there with Andy P, MD Phillips and Donald Trump for arse vocalisation.
    I've met him too... and I agree. Seemed like a nice enough guy - but I actually thought he might be stoned, on account of the amount of nonsensical technobabble he came out with.

There's quite a lot of misinformation in his 'Tube Amp Book' too, not just about his own stuff.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Sassafras said:

And when used on a 70s Les Paul Custom, it only fractionally adds to the overall mass.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Bucket said:

And when used on a 70s Les Paul Custom, it only fractionally adds to the overall mass.
    And probably improves the balance...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson