Can any of you awesome guitarists help me play this song please

What's Hot
T42T42 Frets: 13
I am new to guitar but willing to learn and getting there but the solo that made me want to learn the guitar was this piece of music.

Does anyone know if this is a piece that has a lesson equivalent or is it something someone here could help me with ?
Im not sure if the guy playing it did so "off the cuff" or if it is a piece of music already in existence, ive messaged him but no reply and I really love it and would love to learn it.

Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    Sorry I can’t be much help, but heres what I’m thinking. 

Firstly, have no fear. This is very do-able.

Im not being modest when I say, I cant work stuff out by ear and I’m tone deaf to boot. But. If I was wanting to learn this, heres what I’d do. 

Get a laptop or pc or some platform that allows youtubes features such as playback speed. 

Then simply take the video at half or 0.25 speed and watch his fingers. 
    The nice thing is, you can pretty much see where he is playing. 

Firstly just take a while and figure out where he starts the first note. It looks to me like he is starting on the 5th fret A string and playing it palm muted. 
    Looks like the following few notes are around the D string 3rd fret and D string 5th fret. 

I have to start work in a sec so can’t look much at the vid but looks like he chugs that first note a couple or three times.

Now I’m honestly not good at this stuff, so I’d play with him over and over and you’ll hear if it sounds correct. Just that first note. Then build up one note at a time. 

If you know basics such as palm muting, alternative picking, bending etc then you’ll not need much else to learn before you could play this. But I did only watch the vid briefly. Looks like there may have been an oblique or unison bend nearer the end too. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I only had time to watch the 1st 30 seconds but it's just a bit of G minor pentatonic, probably improvised. If you learn the G minor pentatonic scale you'll easily be able to follow what he's doing.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • It's just a bit of Jammin'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I consider myself to be pretty shit at guitar, but I recognised that as minor pentatonic.  Learn the pentatonic scale and get in into your fingers so it feels fluid and natural then look back at this video and you will be able to see what he's doing.   Watch it, tab it out and watch it again slowly.  String bits together and you will find that its coming to you.

Welcome to the gang and good luck with this.  Let us know how you get on.

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Hi @T42 ;

Although I’ve been playing a couple of years now, I’ve only recently started taking something I’ve found on YouTube and analysing it to learn what’s being played. It’s probably been the single biggest thing for me in terms of my musical development. 

Just use the speed function on Youtube to slow it right down. Don’t worry about the pentatonic scale right now if it scares you (I think you’re very new to all this, from memory?) - if you just want to learn this one piece right now, then make that your mission without worrying about the theory behind it, that can come another day. 

Play a few notes of it on YouTube at 50% speed. Watch what fret his fingers are on and note what string. Then do the same on your guitar.  Even if it’s juat two notes at a time. Print out some blank tab paper and write it down as you go along. 

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/PA-000-BlankPaper.php

In no time you’ll be bashing this out. Then you can learn the pentatonic scale and make up your own awesome little riffs to any backing track you find.  

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    All good advice here, and as said previously, it really shouldn't be too difficult to nail it.

A big help for you though might be to find the actual backing track that he's playing along to and use it yourself, just for the timing.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    @T42 Here’s what you can do to be BETTER than that guy: tune your guitar. 

And then commit to your instrument. The rest will follow. ;)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    T42 said:
    Does anyone know if this is a piece ... of music already in existence
    Sounds like a generic karaoke backing track for a generic Reggae song. The intro/bridge section is a I-vi-V progression. The verse is a I-IV-V.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.